Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.4 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the third OS X 10.11.4 beta and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.11.3. OS X 10.11.4 has been in testing since January 11.

The fourth OS X 10.11.4 beta, build 15E49a, can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store.

os_x_el_capitan_roundup-800x409.jpg

OS X 10.11.4 offers a couple of new features, such as Live Photos support in Messages, the ability to password protect notes in the Notes app, and an option to import notes from Evernote, but like the recent OS X 10.11.3 update, it appears to focus primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements. Almost all of Apple's OS X updates to date have been smaller updates that improve performance rather than introduce new features.

We'll update this post with any features or significant changes that are discovered in the third beta of OS X 10.11.4. OS X 10.11.4 is likely to see a spring release alongside iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, and watchOS 2.2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I feel like this is a me exciting update than than the watch. I'm surprised it took this long for Live Photos to make it though.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
For "under the hood improvements" it'd be nice if they published some numbers similar to what we see for major versions.

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I would like Apple to finally start including detailed listing of changes and bug fixes in 10.11.4 once it is released. I am not expecting miracles but the information that Apple has provided for 10.11.1-11.1.3 is seriously lacking to say the least...

Is it really too much to ask given the Apples resources? :(

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.4 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the third OS X 10.11.4 beta and more than a month after releasing OS X 10.11.3. OS X 10.11.4 has been in testing since January 11.

The fourth OS X 10.11.4 beta, build 15E49a, can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store.

os_x_el_capitan_roundup-800x409.jpg

OS X 10.11.4 offers a couple of new features, such as Live Photos support in Messages, the ability to password protect notes in the Notes app, and an option to import notes from Evernote, but like the recent OS X 10.11.3 update, it appears to focus primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements. Almost all of Apple's OS X updates to date have been smaller updates that improve performance rather than introduce new features.

We'll update this post with any features or significant changes that are discovered in the third beta of OS X 10.11.4. OS X 10.11.4 is likely to see a spring release alongside iOS 9.3, tvOS 9.2, and watchOS 2.2.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers

Downloading right now...
[doublepost=1456165291][/doublepost]
I would like Apple to finally start including detailed listing of changes and bug fixes in 10.11.4 once it is released. I am not expecting miracles but the information that Apple has provided for 10.11.1-11.1.3 is seriously lacking to say the least...

Sorry, but an added "Implemented NSA backdoor" just doesn't read so good in the Release Notes...

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany

I guess they just don't want to give specific information... it's been this diffuse "improvements to mail, photos.." blabla for a long time now.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Maybe this is the problem with Apple's quality, having all of their OS variants on the same release train forces the company to split focus. Why is OS X, iOS, TVOs and WatchOS all being seeded together?

This is another reason why Apple needs to drop the stupidity and unify the OS'es if they are going to tie them altogether anyways. One common kernel would make sense that all devices are updated together, but having 4 variations of the OS tied to the same release train is why you end up with some of the glaring security holes and bugs found on every release.

Also stop using the beta seeds as quality control. Most people getting these seeds are just fanbois wanting to brag about having Apple's newest features and this does not translate to an honest and focused quality process.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Beta seeds have so far worked just fine for Apple and any other company. Another advantage it serves is that it keeps users hooked as to glimpses of upcoming changes and features ...

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
I hope iMessages is more robust in this version. My iMessages still works on my iPhone 6s+ and iPad Air 2 but it has stopped working on my rMBP & my iMac (both running OS X 10.11.3)

Reactions: Sandstorm

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
Useless. No WiFi Sleep Wake, BTMM, HomeSharing, Powernap, Finder, Slow SMB, Bonjour Problems.

It's all FLUFF no MEAT for Apple these days.
First of all, you have absolutely NO proof that no work has been done on areas that interest you, do you?

Secondly, doesn't it take a lot of **** to think that just because you think something is fluff should mean that everyone should consider it the same way? Please. There are issues in those apps that you hate that many love and need that need to be addressed, despite your irrational dismissal of those apps. I will just never understand the mentality of many of those who post here. It's already almost impossible to extract useful information from the childishness and fluff that pervades these forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well that sucks then! Was hoping they would get it in on this build to give us chance to test it before they roll out the final which i don't imagine is far off now.
Apple doesn't tend to include betas of iTunes in OS X developer betas.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Anyone having issues with the system completely freezing for 10-60 seconds when closing YouTube tabs in Safari? It's related to GPU switching, so it only applies to dual GPU machines such as the 15 inch MacBook Pro.
Sure hope this fixes that, because it's been 3 versions now and they still haven't addressed this.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Why is OS X, iOS, TVOs and WatchOS all being seeded together?

Because they all share the same kernel, many of the same components, and in some cases even the same apps with different user interfaces. For instance, iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4 will simultaneously launch with an update to the Notes app, featuring protected notes.

Also stop using the beta seeds as quality control. Most people getting these seeds are just fanbois wanting to brag about having Apple's newest features and this does not translate to an honest and focused quality process.

While they have a responsibility to do in-house testing, that's no substitute that will provide a realistic view of the real-world variety.

Well that sucks then! Was hoping they would get it in on this build to give us chance to test it before they roll out the final which i don't imagine is far off now.

Whence do you infer a new iTunes is coming?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.