Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's media event, Apple has seeded the golden master (GM) version of iOS 8 to developers. The golden master represents the final version of iOS 8 that will be released to the public on September 17, two days ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6.

The update is available through Apple's over-the-air updating mechanism on iOS devices and it can also be downloaded via the iOS Developer Center. Apple has also seeded a golden master version of the new Apple TV software and Xcode 6.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-09-at-1.13.30-PM.png
Prior to the launch of the golden master, Apple seeded five iOS 8 betas to developers, with the fifth beta released on August 4.

iOS 8 introduces a range of new features, including improved integration with OS X through Continuity, a Health app, Family Sharing features, interactive notifications, a new QuickType Keyboard and improvements to several apps like Safari, Mail, and Messages, with all of the features being refined over the course of the beta testing period.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 8 Golden Master to Developers Ahead of September 17 Public Launch

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
"The update is available through Apple's over-the-air updating mechanism on iOS devices and it can also be downloaded via the iOS Developer Centre."

MacRumors seems to imply it can be done OTA?!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Does this mean non-developers should be able to update to iOS 8 before the official iOS 8 launch date? I remember doing that for iOS 7...

No, non-devs get it next Wednesday. Not sure you can upgrade from beta 5 to GM OTA. Typically you haven't been able to.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
No, non-devs get it next Wednesday. Not sure you can upgrade from beta 5 to GM OTA. Typically you haven't been able to.

for iOS 6 and iOS 7 non-devs were able to update to the GM version without apple checking for dev accounts when validating the install.... Users would have to find the iOS file somewhere online though but it was do-able.

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
the more time Tim Cook spends on stage the more I'm sure he is an idiot. The new Apple Watch, looks like ****, just like the new iPhones, just like Beats headphones.

Shame on you Tim Cook... just because you use the same words as Jobs (one more thing...) doesn't mean you're doing work he would be proud of.

Any chance to b*tch and moan. You people cease to amaze.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
the more time Tim Cook spends on stage the more I'm sure he is an idiot. The new Apple Watch, looks like ****, just like the new iPhones, just like Beats headphones.

Shame on you Tim Cook... just because you use the same words as Jobs (one more thing...) doesn't mean you're doing work he would be proud of.

I disagree. I think the watch is exactly what Steve would have done, and in fact, I bet Steve helped with its design prior to his passing. This has been in the works since they cancelled the iPod Nano that everyone was already turning into a watch.

Intuitive interface, NFC payment, multiple health monitors etc. If you own a fitbit (or UP, Withings, etc etc) and an iPhone, you'll most likely be getting this to replace it for the added functionality. All of that paired with WatchKit, and suddenly you'll be able to pay for your Starbucks on the way to the golf course, where your watch will be able to track your game and how far you hit your shots based on what club you're using, and then get directions back to your BMW. Think about who this device is FOR and you'll realize it's exactly what it should be...

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Actually, I expected to be disappointed with AppleWatch, but it does do some things that no one else does. I think they just obsoleted all of the rest of the new AppleLookAlike Watches that have been released in the last 6 months, that is if you want to pay for the superior experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.