Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H56

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by cjc343, May 14, 2004.

1. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

new software update technology? sweet :) i've been waiting for that for some time... it's so annoying that you should have all apple apps in the /Application folder where they have initially been installed - if one moves for example iApps to folder /Applications/iApps then the current software update doesn't even see the apps.

current sw update is so sad, i hope apple has finally fixed this. sw update should definetely look the /Application folder through recursively, and not only that, but every user's ~/Application folder as well.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

the Home on iPod feature sounds sweet if they ever get it working right.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

they probably have it already working right, but that limits the home directory to 40GB - so they might jsut wait for 100+ gig ipods before public announcement of the home-on-ipod feature.

(they could implement some system to block files/folders out, but i guess they won't as the whole point behind this feature would be storing the whole home directory into the ipod and not at all into the computer's hard drive making it possible to use your home on "any mac". it'd be much cooler to have the files on one location only [the ipod] instead of syncing it - plus, there would have no need to sync the music library as the library would be actually located in the ipod.)

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

One of my Mac-using buddies is experiencing a problem with Software Update - basically, it isn't usable. If I go into System Preferences, launch Software Update, check for updates, select all updates, click Install, type the administrator password - then Software Update suddenly quits; nothing is downloaded or installed. I haven't tried using the download to desktop feature, nor have I tried deleting Software Update's cache. I did try deleting the Software Update preferences, but that did not help. The computer is running Mac OS X 10.3.3 and is 1 revision behind the current PowerBook G4 15".

5. cjc343 thread starter macrumors 6502

What updates are in software update? I had a problem with one of the recent updates not being friendly with others.... try installing them one at a time, if one certain one crashes, install the rest, then download the installer for that update.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It never gets to the downloading part, no matter which updates I select. So that won't work :(

7. cjc343 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even when you only select one download at a time?

Try deleting "Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate.plist" + "User_Name/library/preferences/com.apple.softwareupdate.plist" + "User_Name/Library/Caches/com.apple.softwareupdate"

Restart the computer.

Run software update.

If that doesn't work:

Create a New User, make sure it is an administrator. (System Preferences > Users)

If it works, you can either figure out what is wrong with the old user, or you can delete it and replace it with a new user.