Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2144 )

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded another version of Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2144) to developers yesterday. The next update to Apple's Mac OS X Tiger operating system lists only one known issue which involves the system occasionally hanging during shutdown.

Beyond that, there have been a number of new fixes described, including addressing issues with USB modem, modem driver, CoreAudio and m4a files, WebCore Editing, VPN and Rosetta.

Apple last updated Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) on June 20th. Meanwhile, Apple continues to work on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) which is expected to be released in October of this year.

Article Link

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

This should probably be out before Leopard.

Hopefully Rosetta will see a few more speed improvements.

3. macrumors newbie

MBP + AirPort

It'd also be nice if this addressed the 10.4.10-induced problem of frequent network-dropping behavior by my MacBook Pro (2.16 Ghz C2D, 15") while using AirPort and battery power. :(

4. macrumors member

Exactly! I'm officially so, so tired of not having this MBP work properly. I had been thinking maybe the wireless fix would be in 10.4.11 and that's why it was a bit delayed. It's really surprising wireless doesn't seem to be included.

I have a friend who's just switched from Windows to a MBP that arrives in a few days. If he has wireless drops out of the box for a problem that's been known for nearly three months, Apple's going to look pretty silly, and so am I for recommending the switch.

5. macrumors regular

Funnily enough, I noticed this as well. I wasn't sure if it was just my Macbook, or my Wi-Fi network. But it does seem to only occur on battery, (and my signal strength is at 3 bars).

This seems a little soon after the .10 update to me, but if it contains substantial bug fixes, then hopefully it should be ok :)

At least with these updates you feel like your making progression. On Windows it just feels like plugging holes in a boat.

6. Moderator emeritus

It'd be nice to see fixes for all of the laptop computer problems they introduced with 10.4.10. Hopefully, they find the answers. I'd hate for 10.4.13 to be the final Tiger release.

7. macrumors G4

daneoni

This issue, i have not.

8. macrumors 6502

They need to keep iSync up to date. I keep phones 12-18 months, by the time they support it I've had it 8 months.

9. Moderator emeritus

Mod. note: off-topic posts will be deleted.

10. macrumors regular

cliffjumper68

Nice to see they are still working on a product even when the next version is soon to be released.

11. macrumors regular

They'll be supporting Tiger even after Leopard is released, why would you be surprised to see them supporting Tiger before Leopard is released.

This OS goes to 11

12. macrumors demi-god

VPN fixes would be great. Considering that I cannot connect to my work VPN with OS X VPN, but can with DigiTunnel is a little annoying.

13. macrumors member

Same thing happening on my 17"MBP. Terrible reception after installing 10.4.10. 2-3 bars when it used to be full reception.

14. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

i hope it fixes my screwy audio problem on my mac pro

it pop/buzzes infrequently and it's annoying

15. macrumors 65816

Well historically once the next major revision of Mac OS X is released the prior version will only get security updates (no minor revisions, unless a big enough issue requires it).

16. macrumors 6502

With this title of the news I wanted to click 'check for updates'.

Maybe add 'to dev.' next time?:)

17. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

For an OS that has had 10 major updates; still having issues with modems and hanging on shutdown is pretty damn sloppy for a company that is supost to be "quality" driven. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors regular

please

fix the SMB volume-unmounting-after-sleep-issue...

19. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Might this be for newwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hardware? MacPro's perhaps? New video card drivers for iMacAL?

20. macrumors 68000

flyinmac

Definitely.

I was still running OS 10.2.8 on my iMac G3 until a few months ago. And, I was still getting updates through Software Update for it (Mostly security patches, and minor fixes).

That system is now running 10.3.9 and still getting updates there as well.

Yes, I do have some 10.4.x systems in the house as well, but I keep the old iMac around for my kid to beat on :p

21. macrumors 68000

I just hope Apple puts in real drivers from the new iMac.

It's pretty disgraceful that the new iMacs have such terrible GPU's, but the fact that the drivers stink and make the GPU even slower, is maddening.

More bug fixes is always good.

22. macrumors 6502a

No, not very likely. There are individual updates per computer-type if it's an update that requires firmware changes.

-=|Mgkwho

23. macrumors 68020

EagerDragon

Likely this be out Friday or Monday.

Most of the issues you allude to are in the Intel side, which has been around for about 18 months or so and were just revised not that long ago to use pre-N 802.11. Part of the growing pain. I have PPC and see few if any issues.

Gamer?

24. macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

heh heh me too :)

this thread says lots of negative stuff about mbp bugs. makes me nervous about buying a new one when leopard comes out. i guess leopard will have even more bugs to be fixed, as tiger has been around a while now. hmmm

25. macrumors 6502a

Peel

Wow, I have this problem too, though I experience it both on battery and while connected to a power supply. I wasn't sure if it was my computer or my router, as I upgraded my router's firmware (Linksys WRT300N) at about the same time that I upgraded to 10.4.10