1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.5.2 and Java SE 6 Preview 8 for Leopard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded developers with two updates tonight.

The first is the Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7) update which lists fixes to 76 distinct issues. Bug fixes range from memory leaks, various printing issues, SMB support and more. Apple issued Mac OS X 10.5.1 in November and has recently updated retail copies of Leopard to include the full 10.5.1 version. A Page 2 rumor pegs the Mac OS X 10.5.2 final release at Macworld Expo in January.

Next, Apple has finally seeded Java SE 6 Preview 8 for Leopard. Apple had been secretive about the Java 6 support for Leopard and the product launch was met with disappointment amongst Java developers hoping for support for the latest version. Tonight's release provides an implementation of Sun's Java SE 6 for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and includes Java SE 6 version 1.6.0_01. This latest seed requires a 64-bit capable Intel-powered Mac and is described as having received only limited testing thus far.

Article Link

2. macrumors 65816

maverick808

Is there a changelog for 10.5.2 available?

3. macrumors 68040

emotion

Apple: please fix Mail.app. It's pretty buggy in Leopard.

4. macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

And safari, Wifi reliability, Macbook Pro wake from sleep and Quicktime! Leopard is quite the roachfest at the moment IMHO!

5. macrumors 6502a

Would love to see a changelog too.

6. macrumors 68000

Good luck, they barely release a proper changelog when they actually release an update, let alone a pre-release to developers.

7. macrumors 68040

emotion

I won't disagree.

It's still nice despite all that but it needs some polish for sure.

8. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

So does this mean java 6 will be 64bit only :\

if that's the case and apple is allready rejecting it's 32 bit user base... I dunno what to say.

9. macrumors 6502a

al256

Safari crashes so much more in 10.5.1... I hate it.

10. macrumors 6502

iJawn108: No, I think they'll do a 32/64bit ub when they release it... they still have much work to do.

And J2SE6 DP8?! how the hell did I miss 1-7???

In any case, can anyone confirm if the java DP is available to all ADC members?

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 65816

luminosity

I must say that I feel pretty secure on Tiger right now, which seems to be comparatively rock solid. Obviously, it doesn't have the same features, but it's not like using Windows 3.1 or some such thing.

12. macrumors member

firefoxnx

Java 6 for Leopard. Its about time!

Downloading Java 6 for Leopard now! But its excruciatingly slow.. 40KB/s

13. macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Everythings pretty good on my system, except mail.app which really really sucks. It badly needs an update. It's slow, it hangs, when I select a mail item or rss item, it often takes 3s+ to load it, despite it being stored locally.

14. macrumors 6502

I installed clean but brought in my mail from my OSX 10.4 tiger install. I have over 4gb of mail doing my personal and business mail. Mail.app has worked great for me.

15. macrumors newbie

Wi-fi problems?

Does somebody has wi-fi issues?

Sometimes i am browsing and safari says i am not connected to the internet but I AM! :mad:

Is it just me or somey body else has the sam issues :confused:

16. macrumors 6502

No, its not just you.. depends on your configuration, but leopards wifi support is screwy as all hell.

17. macrumors 68040

emotion

All four machines I have access to have clean installs. All display varying degrees of bugginess with Mail.app.

I normally wait for .2 releases as a rule for Apple OSs but was drawn in by the new shiny tweaks. I still don't regret that.

18. macrumors 6502

Ditto.. 38K/s, 22mins to go :/

19. macrumors 68000

76 bug fixes?

For Leopard?

At this rate, it may be 10.5.8 before Leopard gets to release quality.

Let's hope Apple has fixed many, many more bugs than 76 and Apple is just no disclosing the full list or full count.

Leopard is a total train wreck on the quality front. Such a shame since it is a great OS otherwise.

I also hope Apple took the opportunity to re-think how Spaces and Mail tasks work. The functional design seems like it is something born in Redmond, on a bad day. A very bad day.

Oh, and getting Back to Mac to actually work would be nice, because, you know, it's one of the core upgrade features and all.

20. macrumors regular

I noticed too that mail is very buggy. it has frozen many times so far:(

21. macrumors 68040

Telp

Hopefully it fixes some finder issues where my finder crashes. Also, some firewall issues, especially the itunes sharing one...Or is that not a bug? Its annoying either way.

22. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, looks like 10.5.2 at macworld....

23. Retired

psychofreak

My Leopard is perfect, but I have a friend with a Samsung G600, and I recently switched him to the Mac...unfortunately the phone doesn't work with Leopard (unless someone can find me a driver) and I hope 10.5.2 will bring support :)

24. macrumors 65816

maverick808

Well, you better call up Apple and tell them not to bother with 10.5.2 then. Silly Apple, thinking they've found and fixed bugs when you know there's no bugs at all. :)

25. Retired

psychofreak

I said My Leopard, meaning that I'm not personally desperate for 10.5.2, I'm by no means suggesting that there are no bugs at all...