Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Build 9A500n

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded a new version of Mac OS X Leopard (9A500n) to developers today.

The latest update arrived through Mac OS X's built in Software Update and reportedly improves stability and provides general fixes. It is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard 9A499. Previous seeds have introduced visual tweaks. There have been no reports yet about any visual enhancements in the latest build.

Apple recently requested feedback on the previous build (9A499) to all developers. The final consumer release of Mac OS X Leopard is due in October.

Article Link

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

Went over to the InsanelyMac forums and a user there posted that it's much more stable and "WAAAY faster". Woohoo!

4. macrumors P6

Peace

I'm getting this gut feeling you're not going to have to wait till October.

5. macrumors P6

twoodcc

me two! :)

let's hope this is a sign of it being right on schedule ;)

6. macrumors 603

7. macrumors 6502

Man, I wish it could come out sooner and I hope the menubar transparency is controlled by a toggle somewhere in the preferences. Though, maybe it'll grow on me.

8. macrumors newbie

do we have any more details about this? Is there a changelog?

9. macrumors 68000

BWhaler

I don't mean to be negative, but I suspect 10.5 is not the upgrade Steve was hoping for.

I think the fall of Vista combined with the resource constraints of iPhone, et al., has pushed Apple to do a less ambitious upgrade.

I worry that they are looking for developer feedback at this stage. (not just bug reporting) I worry that the state of development is still far off. Bugs are everywhere.

And this is supposed to be released in late October?

Beyond 10.5, I would love to see some more innovation from Apple. e.g. Where is the ability to use your Mac as a virtual headset for your iPhone. This one little feature could be killer...

10. macrumors 68020

I'm getting the same gut feeling.

11. macrumors 65816

Glad to see that things are getting fixed, hope the launch in October goes well. Should be getting a new Mac early next year methinks, after a couple of point releases.

12. macrumors 68030

kbmb

I have a feeling that everyone will have to wait until October still. Maybe not till the end....but at this point I don't think Steve wants this release to have ANY major problems. After the delay, I think everyone at Apple would rather have a very stable, fast OS....than a buggy release filled with Vista-like problems.

I think the other poster nailed it.....I think Apple probably has tailored back on the overall feature set to make sure they get a fast and stable release out.

Granted....Leopard it chalk full of new goodies.

Just my thoughts. Trust me....I can't wait, and would love to be wrong!

-Kevin

13. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

One build closer to the final release. :)

But Apple, take as much time as you need to make Leopard fully featured and stable. :apple:

14. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

true, but if Leopard is delayed again, there better be some new hardware instead (with a leopard voucher)

15. macrumors member

I find it extremely how members here from what I've only seen bash Vista and call it a failure. I have both a PC and a Mac, both Vista and Tiger, but some of yo talk like cults.

I hope Leopard comes out in October, and I extremely hope that ugly menu bar gets fixed, that transparency looks AWFUL!!!!

But that's the way you compete with your competitor though, right?... you copy off them.

I don't want to hear all that Microsoft copied first crap, copying Microsoft back is twice as worse.

16. macrumors regular

Even if they have to wait to release a couple of those "secret" options that no one knows about 6 months from now. I'd be content with what we've seen so far stable! The rest can be added in later. Starting to sound good

17. macrumors regular

Anyone know if this shows up in the 9a466 build, or will 9a499 be required? I just reinstalled from WWDC disc and was curious if another install will be needed.

18. macrumors member

I disagree. It will take 4-6 weeks from going gold to shipping, because of distribution issues (pressing a few million DVDs, packaging, shipping to stores pre-launch, etc.) That means that Leopard would be going gold in mid- to late- September for a late October launch.

Assuming that the "n" designation and the fact that it's only 1 build number higher means that it's the first RC, we'll get another build by next Friday, and the Gold version download to ADC by Sept. 14th. My money is on a launch on October 16th or 23rd.

19. macrumors P6

Peace

If you were a developer you could download 9a499.

20. macrumors 6502

hanschien

"...wake me up when september ends"

21. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

requires 9a499

22. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I assumed the secret features were the ones unveiled at WWDC. Do people think Apple is keeping secrets even from the developers until the day of release?

23. macrumors regular

24. macrumors 68000

Fukui

31st... :)

and... btw, are any of the ppl posting here so far, even used the leopard betas? It aint IMHO coming out till the very last second they can spare. Even if the API's are frozen, and mostly bug fixed, the OS as a whole has to be stress tested, otherwise expect 10.5.1 to come out the day of launch....

25. macrumors regular

As much as I dislike Green Day, that's quite a funny correlation...