Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to customers, Apple has finally seeded the final version of Mac OS X Leopard (Client and Server) to developers.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (9A581) is now available to Select and Premier developers. Apple had last seeded build 9A559 to developers on September 21st, 2007.

Some developers had been critical of Apple withholding the final version of Leopard from developers. Keeping the final build of Leopard internal, however, did not prevent its leak in the days leading to its release.

Apple Leopard launch events are still taking place across the U.S.

Article Link

Retired
May 16, 2006
Its odd that it didn't come earlier, especially considering that the build was pirated days ago...its a pity that so many apps don't work...

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Now developers... hurry up and fix my broken Plug-ins!!

Im looking at you AcidSearch and HttpMail

boo! :(

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
First time I've ever heard of any OS getting released to consumers before businesses/developers. A bit odd business model if you ask me, though I doubt it makes much difference in the long run.

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Grrrrr. I asked Apple about this and they basically told me they weren't telling when Leopard was going to be released. Being the early adopter that I am, I bought my version today. At least I got a t-shirt. :D On the flip side, I do have 4 computers to install on, so the Family pack was the more ethical choice.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

With the launch of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard to customers, Apple has finally seeded the final version of Mac OS X Leopard (Client and Server) to developers.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (9A581) is now available to Select and Premier developers. Apple had last seeded build 9A559 to developers on September 21st, 2007.

Some developers had been critical of Apple withholding the final version of Leopard from developers. Keeping the final build of Leopard internal, however, did not prevent its leak in the days leading to its release.

Apple Leopard launch events are still taking place across the U.S.

Article Link

I Certainly hope Apple is understanding the concept of Developers needing the most up-to-date code to make apps better.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
It likely is not that different at all from the previously release beta build anyway.
You cant blame Apple for holding back on the final for a few days to developers, in order to reduce piracy.
Tiger was freely and easily available all over the net for well over a week (maybe 2) before it was released for sale. That must have had some impact on sales for sure. Which has been largely confirmed by early sales figures of Leopard compared to Tiger.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
It's nice that it's still not available to student developers...at least Apple could have given us an answer as to when it would be made available.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I Certainly hope Apple is understanding the concept of Developers needing the most up-to-date code to make apps better.

Clearly not.

They also seem to have missed the concept of testing the final bits before producing and shipping millions of them.

Sharkus

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
I have to say I am actually shocked that it's been released to us (devs) so early. I was fully expecting to have to wait until late next week for the seed to show up on ADC.

I've been reading threads on apple discussions and it does seem there are some issues with an upgrade from Tiger, which does not shock me as this was a known issue with some of the dev seeds.

Part of me is somewhat glad there is an issue such as this, as perhaps Apple should have seeded the GM to devs so we could find and help them to resolve the issues before it goes out to the end users, which I think would be better than having it go out and there be issues.

It's claimed they did not release GM to devs to prevent it being leaked, which I can somewhat understand, but I think I'd have risked it. If it is leaked then those running it will mention the issues and that is free testing, which is always handy. The irony of the situation is that they kept it internal and it was still leaked.

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
It likely is not that different at all from the previously release beta build anyway.

I beg to differ. Three weeks and 22 builds is significant opportunity for multiple regressions to occur. Even a small change can have a big impact on software as complex as Leopard.

You cant blame Apple for holding back on the final for a few days to developers, in order to reduce piracy.

Neither Tiger nor Leopard were immune to early piracy despite Apple's efforts.

Tiger was freely and easily available all over the net for well over a week (maybe 2) before it was released for sale. That must have had some impact on sales for sure. Which has been largely confirmed by early sales figures of Leopard compared to Tiger.

Like Leopard, Tiger was not available on the ADC download site prior to launch day. The leak came from elsewhere. Withholding the final build is simply bad policy.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
It's nice that it's still not available to student developers...at least Apple could have given us an answer as to when it would be made available.

Check your e-mail: Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, the sixth major release of Mac OS X, launched today.

A DVD set with Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, Leopard Server and Xcode tools will be included in the ADC Monthly Mailing for November 2007, which will be shipped to you on October 30th. Worldwide shipments will be sent via DHL Worldmail and should arrive in approximately 3-10 business days.

If you have questions, please contact us.
http://developer.apple.com/contact/

Apple Developer Connection

I'm a Student ADC member as well.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
So now that Leopard is here, and I've got my Family Pack installed on two machines, I'm waiting for Time Machine to make my backups. Everything seemed to be going fine, until, zap my linksys router gets too tired to work anymore and my laptop lost the connection to the desktop where it was backing up. (Which it usually does after heavy use about once a week.) So once the router comes back on line I can right-click on the time machine icon and say "back up now." It pulls up a progress window and says "preparing" which it has been for about half an hour now. For about ten minutes, it was communicating with the desktop (I have activity monitor open on both) and they're sent/received plots matched each other, so I guess they were talking.) Then for another ten minutes my laptop was sending massive amounts of data, the G5 was receiving the same amount of data, but the G5 desktop wasn't writing it to disk. (Again, Activity monitor) Now, the progress window still says "Preparing" and the bar is still running, internet works on both computers (which does go through the router) but my laptop is writing more data than it's reading, and nothing is going over the wireless to the G5 where my backup disk is.

In the five minutes it's taken me to type this, the G5 has begun writing data to disk, but it's 9:01 and I clicked "Back up Now" at 8:36.

Is there a quicker way (quicker = < 10 minutes) to make the Time Machine start backing up when you want to? Or do you really just have to wait for the hourly backup, which seems to be what has happened?

Maybe Apple should have released this latest version of Leopard to their own developers...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
So now that Leopard is here, and I've got my Family Pack installed on two machines, I'm waiting for Time Machine to make my backups. Everything seemed to be going fine, until, zap my linksys router gets too tired to work anymore and my laptop lost the connection to the desktop where it was backing up. (Which it usually does after heavy use about once a week.) So once the router comes back on line I can right-click on the time machine icon and say "back up now." It pulls up a progress window and says "preparing" which it has been for about half an hour now. For about ten minutes, it was communicating with the desktop (I have activity monitor open on both) and they're sent/received plots matched each other, so I guess they were talking.) Then for another ten minutes my laptop was sending massive amounts of data, the G5 was receiving the same amount of data, but the G5 desktop wasn't writing it to disk. (Again, Activity monitor) Now, the progress window still says "Preparing" and the bar is still running, internet works on both computers (which does go through the router) but my laptop is writing more data than it's reading, and nothing is going over the wireless to the G5 where my backup disk is.

In the five minutes it's taken me to type this, the G5 has begun writing data to disk, but it's 9:01 and I clicked "Back up Now" at 8:36.

Is there a quicker way (quicker = < 10 minutes) to make the Time Machine start backing up when you want to? Or do you really just have to wait for the hourly backup, which seems to be what has happened?

Maybe Apple should have released this latest version of Leopard to their own developers...

Backing up using Time Machine to another computer on your local network isn't a good idea.One really should have an external hard drive connected to your computer for Time Machine.

Now that Leopard GM in in the hands of most developers I'm quit sure any bugs left over from recent builds will be addressed pretty quick through 10.5.1.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I beg to differ. Three weeks and 22 builds is significant opportunity for multiple regressions to occur. Even a small change can have a big impact on software as complex as Leopard.

Neither Tiger nor Leopard were immune to early piracy despite Apple's efforts.

Like Leopard, Tiger was not available on the ADC download site prior to launch day. The leak came from elsewhere. Withholding the final build is simply bad policy.

Seems Apple believed otherwise. And who are we to argue!? Personally, I can understand and respect their choice. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that ;)

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Backing up using Time Machine to another computer on your local network isn't a good idea.One really should have an external hard drive connected to your computer for Time Machine.

Now that Leopard GM in in the hands of most developers I'm quit sure any bugs left over from recent builds will be addressed pretty quick through 10.5.1.

I don't have an external harddrive, but I have a G5 (old school) with more than half a terrabyte inside. Some 300 MB are free, so pardon me if I don't hop at the chance to buy more stuff...

I sure hope you're right about those bugs.

WindoraBug

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
mac pro won't start??...

ok so the update failed... When the installer stated up again it said i had to erase my HD... I canceled the install and choice the start up disk.. Then the computer restarted and the gray screen with the apple logo came up... And then nothing, the computer turned off.
Ever time I start the computer I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then the computer turns off...

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY

....and why is it not a good idea? Just because Apple says you should use an external HDD, for the sole purpose that it's brainless for most of its brainless users?

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
ok so the update failed... When the installer stated up again it said i had to erase my HD... I canceled the install and choice the start up disk.. Then the computer restarted and the gray screen with the apple logo came up... And then nothing, the computer turned off.
Ever time I start the computer I get the gray screen with the apple logo and then the computer turns off...
Get another drive and install it on there, then mount your existing drive later and hope the data is still there and accessible. It's probably only the boot information that is no long available. This is why you make backups prior to doing a major system upgrade, this isn't rocket science.

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Check your e-mail: Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, the sixth major release of Mac OS X, launched today.

A DVD set with Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, Leopard Server and Xcode tools will be included in the ADC Monthly Mailing for November 2007, which will be shipped to you on October 30th. Worldwide shipments will be sent via DHL Worldmail and should arrive in approximately 3-10 business days.

If you have questions, please contact us.
http://developer.apple.com/contact/

Apple Developer Connection

I'm a Student ADC member as well.

Haha I just got pwned by Apple...sure enough I just checked and I got that email. Well that's good to know, I was just feeling left out with all of the "Leopard is being delivered today" posts on this board. All in all that $99 membership saved me about $600 on my MBP and $129 on Leopard...definitely a good deal for me (and my membership ends November 28th so I just got in).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.