Apple Seeds Mac OS X Panther Server Build 7B63

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 16, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

AppleInsider reports that Apple has seeded Panther Server Build 7B63 to developers, with a focus on testing 3rd party applications with extensive file-system usage.

2. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

we've gotta be getting close now, don't we?? Seems like they are seeding several new versions a week right now!

3. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I'm thinking the release has got to be close. Only reason I have to think otherwise is that Steve didn't mention a specific date in Paris.

4. macrumors 6502a

simX

That Steve didn't specify a shipping date for Panther Client OR Server really disappointed me. :( I want Panther ASAP! Do you hear me, Steve?

5. macrumors regular

I want panther just as badly as you guys but still when you think about it Id MUCH MUCH rather them keep doing what they are doing and get it perfect before releasing a buggy os that will leave me wanting 10.3.1 as soon as I get it

6. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Of course I want it now, but I wouldn't mind if it were delayed. I am going to be buying an eMac in November, and I'd like to get Panther for free. :)

7. dho
    macrumors 6502

good new, but it makes me wonder:

what does this mean for the timing of the release of Panther Server?

And, would the development of the g5 xserve be as close to being complete as panther server is/isn't?

8. macrumors regular

Given that I've just ordered a new 15" PB, what are my chances of getting a free upgrade to Panther?? slim maybe? :(

9. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Very slim to none. I hope Apple hurries up with panther

10. macrumors 601

cb911

wow! 16TB's is alot of storage! :D

anyway... i think that the only reason they didn't announce a shipping date was to give themselves some room, and so they wouldn't get hounded for not releasing on date. that's what i think anyway...

11. macrumors regular

So what is the likely release date? Apple's got mention of panther on their web site now saying later this year. How much later can it possibly be? December 31st?

I'm hoping that if they're openly talking about it and the fact that it has to come out soon, that they'de give you an update for free if you just bought a new mac today. Lot's of software vendors when announcing impending new versions give grace periods

12. macrumors member

I just ordered a powerbook and hop panther comes out within a month because I hear Apple has a policy that if you buy a computer and a new OS comes out within that time frame that you can buy if for $20. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you think panther could be out in this time?