Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Does it fix the fact that Quicktime 10 destroys audio?!?

Playing through a UA Apollo interface I can't listen to a .wav or .mp3 file. If I rent a movie in iTunes and watch in full screen audio goes nuts chopping in and out. Click out of full screen and it's fine.

Mavericks has been a total nightmare.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Installation issues

Some developers are saying that there are problems installing this build.

At first I thought, yeah here we go again, mac app store problems with beta updates - a very common problem in the past - better to use a direct link instead.

But then they said the problem is also present with the direct link too.

That's very weird. Direct links circumvent the mac app store, so there could be a problem with the installer itself.

I put it on 2 computers with the delta update from the direct link, and it worked both times. So if there is a problem with the installer, it is not affecting everyone the same way.

Has anyone else had problems installing this? If so, did you try the direct link? Did it work?

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
updated thru the mac app store and the install was smooth... I have not tested much yet..

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Well that's good to know.

It means the mac app store method DID work. At least for you.

It means the problem is not universal either with direct links - or the mac app store.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I noticed a new thing is that apple uploaded the delta update to their server before the combo update.

In previous betas, apple uploaded the combo first. Not so this time.

How can I know this?

Well I have a virtual machine of the golden master 10.9 build 13A603 and combo updates would usually show up in the mac app store in this before the delta update shows up in the mac app store in a more up-to-date build.

Today the reverse thing to what I expected happened which means apple switched the order in which they have uploaded their updates.

I can understand why they switched it. Most developers would already be up-to-date with the betas and it is much quicker to install from the delta, so it makes more sense to upload the delta first.

Last edited:

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
What about fixing basic things like Samba ?

Mavericks is mostly unusable in a corporate environment now.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

Playing through a UA Apollo interface I can't listen to a .wav or .mp3 file. If I rent a movie in iTunes and watch in full screen audio goes nuts chopping in and out. Click out of full screen and it's fine.

And a disappointment. Mavericks still seems very much like beta software.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Have you tried 7.5.0 driver for Apollo?

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
And a disappointment. Mavericks still seems very much like beta software.

Some aspects of it maybe. I think there's a lot that work well and stable too. But one would think Apple could do even better since they always talk about attention to detail and focusing on the right things. :rolleyes:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
What about fixing basic things like Samba ?

Mavericks is mostly unusable in a corporate environment now.
Samba has been gone from OS X for a couple of versions. Apple now uses its own version of SMB.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Samba has been gone from OS X for a couple of versions. Apple now uses its own version of SMB.

Exactly. But for whatever reason Apple is unable to implement it in the correct way. Even my free Linux box has seamless Samba support. Since Mavericks it's more or less unusable (authentication, very slow, can't save files, ...).

Samba is something very basic that MUST work in order to use a Mac in almost any environment.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I wish Apple would do a 2 year major OS cycle instead of yearly. It's annoying having to upgrade an entire system each year.

I rather have them release point updates 10.9.x with some new 'big' features instead of just fixes.

Example: Kind of how they had Facetime beta app on the current OS but then included it in the next major release.

XW61982

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
And the release...

... Also would not go beyond the Apple logo!

Man, what a mess, I have to reinstall!

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yeah. It appears it's bricked my machine and I have apparently no *proper* channels to seek assistance.

Unlike the past, there appears to no longer be an appleseed forum. I can't run the feedback assistant because my machine is bricked. I can't take it to the Apple store because it's running a seed.

WTF?

I can ssh into the machine, which is something.

dmesg spits an endless stream of "Vendor ID 0xffff is not valid"

system.log shows what I interpret as being a WindowServer crash loop.

The crash log says

Assertion failed: (ioModeIDCount >= 1), function build_mode_list_if_needed, file Server/IODisplay/MappedDisplay.c, line 5063.

Disconnecting the HDMI cable didn't change anything.

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Hey soaIT and nsayer, did you install it via the mac app store, or via the direct links?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I wish Apple would do a 2 year major OS cycle instead of yearly. It's annoying having to upgrade an entire system each year.

I rather have them release point updates 10.9.x with some new 'big' features instead of just fixes.

Example: Kind of how they had Facetime beta app on the current OS but then included it in the next major release.

three years would be better. I'm running the latest beta and damn it feels sluggish just typing.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Any of you devs have no wifi problems prior to 10.9.2, got them with 10.9.2 and seen them fixed with 10.9.3 (any beta)?

Wifi problems such as ... taking ages to reconnect after waking from sleep.

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Do NDA's mean nothing anymore. Seriously if you are part of the program and you post here you are in violation of your NDA.

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
Do NDA's mean nothing anymore. Seriously if you are part of the program and you post here you are in violation of your NDA.

There is no other mechanism available to me to get support.

The seed discussion area is broken.
I can't take the machine to the genius bar because it's running a seed.
I can't run the feedback assistant because the machine is bricked.

WTF else can I do?!

If Apple wants to get mad at me for posting here, then that's fine with me. They've seriously screwed the pooch and I have no other options.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth

They really don't to be honest. Even outside of Apple, I've seen them broken so many times.

People will leave their laptop screen wide open at airports and walk away for a few seconds and here's all this financial data from a client that I can see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.