Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teddbell

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
Can someone with access to the beta speak about whether the screensaver functions more appropriately with the full iCloud photo library (i.e. displaying more than 50 pictures on repeat)? On my ATV3, I'm able to select the cloud library as my screen saver source, and it cycles through every photo (I don't have definite proof of that, but there are definitely no repeats over multiple viewings). This feature seemed to be lost with the ATV4 release. There are multiple forum threads I've read agreeing with this finding. Thanks!

hick9

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
I agree that it looks nice, but they urgently need a dark mode. When watching in the dark (e.g. on a projector), it feels like the white(ish) background burns your eyes out after the film ends ...

Totally agree .. I have been sending them feedback on that since the beginning. Even when just surfing around at night..it is just way too bright.

Reactions: wowsaab

MTBrezenski

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2016
Same on both of my aTVs! Came here looking for someone else having this problem and was surprised to see only your post.

I may have the answer, did you install the configuration profile on the device? I didn't at first then I just went back and installed it and the OTA update began downloading.

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
Atv4 could benefit from blue light reduction. I was using f.lux on my Mac mini to watch movies late. There's no excuse for it not to cover the entire ecosystem.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
No DD pass through? Or back to where it worked properly on ATV3 and no reduced dynamics?

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I know it sounds crazy but I would like to have some notifications for email and stuff - OSX style.
Sometimes I watch a movie and I wait for an email or some message - would be nice to have such thing.

I am sure most of the people would be against it. It's a TV - but I would find it useful if my phone is somewhere else charging.

2headedgeek

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
Jeepers. Having the ability to create folders implies that the App store has enough great content warrenting the use of folders. Sorry the App store for the Apple TV is terrible at the moment.

aStb

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
It would be great if they would enable English Siri in non English speaking countries. I would love to use it here in The Netherlands, but somehow we are stuck with search.

UK English, Australian English, and US English are also now available as Siri options in the UK, Australian, and US Storefronts when English is set as the tvOS language

Exactly! Same in Germany and apparently the update won't help at all. Why?

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Serious philosophical question:

Who in their right mind watches TV?

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
The latest beta has broken lots of my games, with a message saying 'Could not download requested resources. The Resources requested contain one of more invalid tags' :(

chitoac

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2014
It would be great if they would enable English Siri in non English speaking countries. I would love to use it here in The Netherlands, but somehow we are stuck with search.
same here =( they even got spanish! my main language here in Ecuador, but still only search, but with the speed they are going im positive they will release it soon

Reactions: peterdevries

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Kodie on :apple:TV to see my library on the network would be a dream come true, but of course that's never gonna happen....

Anyone played around with the VLC app in terms of searching for their video library on the network etc and can share experience?

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I may have the answer, did you install the configuration profile on the device? I didn't at first then I just went back and installed it and the OTA update began downloading.

I wasn't able to successfully do it. Initially, I tried installing the configuration profile in the hopes that I wouldn't have to wipe both my aTVs, but the profile seemed to do nothing at all and it still told me the aTV was fully up to date and wouldn't pull the beta.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
No DD pass through? Or back to where it worked properly on ATV3 and no reduced dynamics?
Hmm, well I have no issues with DD pass through using the Infuse app to play som locally storg GOT episodes DD comes to my amp without a glitch, so my guess is that some app developers may need a bot of a stern talking to.
Out of cureosity are you shore the content you are trying to play actually is dd and your settings are correct?

localy stored= samba share on my network (separate subnet, gotta love the possibility to actualy enter an ip/hostname and not be totaly reliant on auto descovery/broadcast)
EDIT: wwops that soundtrack was DTS not DD but shold that realy matter, the point is it seems atv4 can send an unchanged betstram to an eksternal decoder witch detects the forwat correctly

Last edited:

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Exactly! Same in Germany and apparently the update won't help at all. Why?
same here =( they even got spanish! my main language here in Ecuador, but still only search, but with the speed they are going im positive they will release it soon

Here in NZ we don't get Siri despite the Australians getting it. Sucks. Then again, whenever I use Siri on my phone it generally answers with 'I'm sorry, I don't have any information for New Zealand' so it is hopeless even when it is there.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Hmm, well I have no issues with DD pass through using the Infuse app to play som locally storg GOT episodes DD comes to my amp without a glitch, so my guess is that some app developers may need a bot of a stern talking to.
Out of cureosity are you shore the content you are trying to play actually is dd and your settings are correct?

localy stored= samba share on my network (separate subnet, gotta love the possibility to actualy enter an ip/hostname and not be totaly reliant on auto descovery/broadcast)
EDIT: wwops that soundtrack was DTS not DD but shold that realy matter, the point is it seems atv4 can send an unchanged betstram to an eksternal decoder witch detects the forwat correctly
Infuse works fine with pass through. No issues there. It's the native ATV4 App that handles Audio that is screwed up.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Why can't the search find stuff in my Home Sharing computer? Seriously? I've got to scroll through to find things and it doesn't even put the recent stuff up on the home page so I can see what was recently added. The computer running iTunes have become completely secondary where with the first ATV your TV Shows and Movies were all there on the front page, then with ATV2 and ATV3 you had to select the computer to see them, and now you don't see anything until you go directly into the computer and all you can do is scroll. No search at all.

Could not agree more! Seriously, most of what I use AppleTV for IS for viewing my home-shared computer movies. At least with v3 I could see the latest additions to my home library on the home screen. Now with v4 they are no longer there.

Since a lot of my movies are ripped versions of Blu Rays I bought on Ebay and I use apps such as iDentify and Subler when saving these movies, all the info and meta tags are exactly the same as movies I bought via iTunes, so why CAN'T Siri search those as well? If Siri can search my messages, notes, emails, etc. on my iPhone why can't it search my home folder on my AppleTV?

Reactions: GreatDrok

tearsen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Kodie on :apple:TV to see my library on the network would be a dream come true, but of course that's never gonna happen....

Anyone played around with the VLC app in terms of searching for their video library on the network etc and can share experience?
Check out Mrmc on the atv4 App Store

Reactions: BeefCake 15
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.