Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra update to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, nearly a week after seeding the first beta and a week after releasing the new operating system to the public.

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 beta 2, build 16B2333a, can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center (developers only), Apple's beta testing website (beta testers only) and through the Software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who previously installed the first 10.12.1 beta.

macossierraroundup-800x463.jpg

macOS Sierra 10.12.1 appears to focus on bug fixes and under-the-hood performance improvements to address issues that have been found since the operating system's release. Few outward-facing changes were discovered in the first beta, but it does include Photos support for the new iPhone 7 Plus Portrait feature introduced with the iOS 10.1 beta.

Any new features that are discovered in the second 10.12.1 beta will be listed below.

macOS Sierra is a significant update that brings features like Siri support, a new storage optimization option, cross device copy paste, auto unlocking with the Apple Watch, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second macOS Sierra 10.12.1 Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Reactions: jjm3

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
In size just 1.2 GB for the iMac. Downloading and installing now.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
10.12.1 beta 1 brought newer and better drivers for Polaris GPUs. It added a new kext file AMDRadeonX4100.kext which solely contains PCI IDs for Polaris 11 GPUs.

References of Polaris GPUs in AMD9500Controller.kext
Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 07.42.20.png

Radeon RX 480 is almost fully functional in tower Mac Pro (with 2 kext edits)
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 7.15.12 PM.png

Last edited:

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I hope it improves iPhone 7 Plus and Apple Watch series 2 deliveries.

Still 1.2 GB quite large update.... looking forward to what changes are there.

omro

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2010
Did anyone find that the previous beta caused their computer to lock up a lot? Mine would completely lock up if left idle for any period of time, whether it went into power save or not.

Reactions: liberte1776

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Possibly related to the new Macs?

GPUs usually run for at least 2 generations till Apple switches them for the other vendor. Expect Nvidia GPUs in 2018, maybe Apple will finally put in the highly regarded Pascal gpus then.

For now, its AMD's cut down crappy mobile gpus while Nvidia is putting out full desktop cards in Windows laptops.

Reactions: star-affinity

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Did anyone find that the previous beta caused their computer to lock up a lot? Mine would completely lock up if left idle for any period of time, whether it went into power save or not.

Happened once on my MBA, the installation did not finish either, I had to restart before it finished installing the new beta.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Why can't I type into Siri? So it's maybe merged with Spotlight? Does Apple expect me talk to my computer in a quiet office with a dozen other people?
I don't think they expect you to do anything. If you can't use it in your office, then don't. It's a feature that requires your voice. Getting upset at a feature for things it wasn't designed to do just seems silly.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Yes, was an awful beta. All sorts of issues, including problems waking from sleep.

brooksdbrewer

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2016
So I downloaded and installed the update, it froze after initializing the install. No "time remaining" or anything. So it rebooted, and once a dimmed out Apple logo and progress bar show, the screen goes black except for an occasional progress circle that flashes at the bottom.

Any thoughts? Not sure what to do from here.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I wish they would fix the feature that is supposed to sign me into my Mac(s) when my Apple Watch is in proximity. So far, I've done everything that the instructions say I should do, but no go. Both computers are supposed to work with the feature but something isn't clicking. It's not a necessity but it would be nice. First time this has happened to me with an Apple update ....

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think they expect you to do anything. If you can't use it in your office, then don't. It's a feature that requires your voice. Getting upset at a feature for things it wasn't designed to do just seems silly.
Then it's pointless except for executives who have their own office. Which is probably how it was tested - in Cook's executive office.

Reactions: leventozler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.