Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second beta of an upcoming OS X 10.11.4 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the first OS X 10.11.4 beta and a week after releasing OS X 10.11.3.

The second OS X 10.11.4 beta can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center or via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

OS X 10.11.4 includes a couple of new features, such as the ability to support password protected notes in the Notes app, but like the recent OS X 10.11.3 update, it appears to focus primarily on under-the-hood bug fixes and performance improvements with few noticeable outward-facing changes.

We'll update this post with any new features that are discovered in the second beta of OS X 10.11.4.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan Beta to Developers

2. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

4. S8ER01Z macrumors member

Ymmv but I'm having some issues with this build. Beach balls and unresponsive... probably nothing but might want to wait a few hours on this one and see if anyone reports similar issues. Just a heads up.

5. fortepianissimo macrumors newbie

Could someone tell us if the VPN bug (i.e., Cisco AnyConnect stopped working) has been fixed in this beta?

6. ttss6 macrumors 6502

I'm curious if they'll add Night Shift down the line with 10.11.4 betas or wait till 10.12. Hopefully sooner rather than later considering how much easier it's been on my eyes at night using f.lux

7. chrfr macrumors 601

This is usually an issue with the VPN client requiring an update, not a bug in the OS, per se.

8. Martijntjuh macrumors newbie

Martijntjuh

Someone else the same problems...? Wanted to install, but after reading this post I think I wait.

9. eebean2 macrumors newbie

I've yet to have any major problems.

10. macsba macrumors regular

11. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

12. landi.erik macrumors member

landi.erik

My original post in the beta thread.

Seems like the bluetooth and 2.4 GHz wifi instability problems have reared their ugly head again :( also my USB 3.0 to Gigabit ethernet adaptor (using the Asix AX88179 chipset) is now non functional. The kext is not getting loaded on startup and OSX is complaining that it's unsigned, where as on 10.11.3 betas they were working and signature was in good order. I'm guess thats why everyone is having VPN issues because apple messed with kext signing.

Apple has changed the Kext Version signature and as a result Cisco needs to put out a revised lower level driver, if you need Cisco client as a mission critical app NOW you'll need to disable SIP (AKA kext signing\lowlevel driver protection) to get it to work. This method will work and is what I used to get my USB3 to Gigabit Ethernet Hub to work.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

Please be VERY VERY careful when disabling system integrity protection, drivers that have not been optimized and or containing malicious code will not be filtered out by OSX and your machine will be vulnerable... Sorry for the Doomsday message, but fair warning needs to be given.

13. Avenged110 macrumors regular

SIP is always the first thing I turn off on my 10.11 installs. I don't like not being in control.

14. DempaX macrumors member

DempaX

My Watchguard Mobile VPN software also stopped working with the first 10.11.4 beta. Apple's security update?

15. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I need 10.11.5 REALLY bad because 10.11.4 made my UAD Apollo Twin stop working... =(

16. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I've been thinking the same thing. I have Flux but it'd be nice to have the two OS's stay consistent in that regard.

17. vtowntim macrumors newbie

vtowntim

I'm not seeing this update in the Mac App Store— is there some kind of cache I need to clear out to see this second beta?

18. dsmedic10 macrumors member

If your UAD Apollo Twin stop working with 10.11.4 I presume you have reverted to a system backup of 10.11.3. You wouldn't upgrade your production machine without first testing important systems such as a high end audio device and making sure it works and the developer certifies that it's compatible.

19. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

Oh really? Just saying...it screws it up.

20. navaira macrumors 68030

navaira

Out of curiosity, what would be your advice for people who don't use El Capitan and don't have SIP?

(I disabled SIP approximately 30 seconds after installing)

21. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

[​IMG]

Thats why we give them so much money.

22. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

People heralded the return of mdnsresponder, and last night alone this process was giving me nightmares. Hopefully whatever changes they made in the last build are getting fixed. DNS_probe_no_internet constantly last night, yet downloads worked fine, meaning there wasn't anything wrong with the connection to the router or the internet.

23. dorsal macrumors member

Please Please reinstate the full screen "Places View" in Photos, like it was in iPhoto.

24. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Apple seems to be taking a different strategy with the betas in the last six months or so than they used to. They seem to be going further out on limbs to test stuff that then largely gets reverted to compatible in the release versions. Maybe it was always like this, but lately it seems quite a bit riskier to beta test if you are looking for a stable compatible system. Just sayin . . .

25. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping Apple can finally fix Spotlight, it hasn't been working properly since 10.11.0 was released.

In a nutshell it finds files normally for a short time after install, afterwards it cant find all relevant files and even deleting & rebuilding index from Terminal only helps for 1-2 days.

I have reported this after every minor version and I haven't seen any improvements at all... :(

This is probably most baffling bug I have seen in OS X in the last few years.