Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the second beta of OS X 10.11 El Capitan to developers for testing purposes, just over two weeks after unveiling the new operating system at its 2015 Worldwide Developers Conference. Any new changes found in the second El Capitan beta will be detailed below.

The update, build 15A204h, is available through the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Apple Developer Center. Apple has also released OS X Server 5.0 beta 2.

os_x_el_capitan_roundup-800x409.jpg

OS X El Capitan largely builds on the features introduced with OS X Yosemite, focusing on improving performance and user experience. Behind-the-scenes improvements in El Capitan have made a number of apps and processes on the Mac much faster, and the introduction of Metal makes system-level graphics rendering 40 percent more efficient.

Along with a new systemwide font, El Capitan includes a revamped Mission Control feature, a new Split View feature for using two full-screen apps at once, deeper functionality for Spotlight, and several new features for Safari, including Pinned Sites for housing frequently-visited websites and a universal mute button that quiets all tabs.

Mail's been updated with new iOS-style gestures and Smart Suggestions, and Photos, Notes, and Maps have also gained small improvements.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is currently only available to registered developers, but Apple plans to offer a public beta of the software in July. Following testing, El Capitan will see a final release in the fall of 2015.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second OS X 10.11 El Capitan Beta to Developers

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
What do the devs think of the new system-wide font/typography? I'm assuming it's the Apple Watch San Francisco one.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
We went from 15A178w to 15A204h. Nice, should be a lot of changes for this one.

It is strange that it says Developer Beta 2 1.0.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I like the snap two window view. That's the only feature I liked from Windows 7 really.

All the split view features look awesome! can't wait!

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
It's not quite the same.

font-comparison-png.559609
From a typographic point of view it's hard to even say they are close, let alone part of one family. Left has the orthogonality of DIN while being a little more legible, whereas right definitely wants to be a Helvetica substitute (although the few hints it takes from the original SF font basically makes it look like a Univers). I actually like those fonts, but I don't really get the concept of the two font families.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
That actually does look better. It still doesn't match the other icons next to it on the dock though.

Anyone have a 1024x1024 icns file? :)

I added it to my OP.

Could some one post the release notes please, which includes the bugs fixed, improvements made and the known issues. Thank you.

Careful with that big, red text. This is already covered here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.