Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Not specific to this beta, but it annoys me how you can't 'Love' songs from the lock screen any more, and it even requires a 3D Touch in the Music app itself! Of all the changes they made, the Music app is the one I like the least so far in terms of usability and aesthetics. Took me ages to find the Shuffle control, too. It's a real hot mess on the iPad, though: so much wasted space.

That said, I think iOS 10 is a great update on the whole and I've been astounded at how stable the betas have been. I've been onboard since PB 3 on my 6S and Air 2, with only a couple of very small bugs and random restarts. I've used less stable final releases!

ltblais123

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2016
You know what I would like to have ? An app or a button that can activate an automatic iMessage reply or SMS message saying that I am actually driving and cannot text back until a certain time. I know such an app exists on the dark side of Android phones, but I have yet to find one on the iPhone side... In these days of no texting while driving, this should be available to everyone !! Unless my informations are wrong ?

Reactions: ENDWARO7

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
You know what I would like to have ? An app or a button that can activate an automatic iMessage reply or SMS message saying that I am actually driving and cannot text back until a certain time. I know such an app exists on the dark side of Android phones, but I have yet to find one on the iPhone side... In these days of no texting while driving, this should be available to everyone !! Unless my informations are wrong ?
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want that?
When you get a call you have the option to send an automated message "Can't talk right now.".

But messages as well as e-mails don't need to be responded to instantaneously. If whatever the other person has to tell you is THAT important, they would call, or am I mistaken?
One doesn't have to be reachable 24/7. If you feel the urge to respond to every single message right away, I guess you have a very stressful day - every day!

Reactions: ENDWARO7

ScooterComputer

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want that?. <snip opinion>

I'd suggest this is why you should be using a Bluetooth headset. And also suggest this is why Apple needs to improve on how the iPhone/Siri works while driving, beyond CarPlay. A Plantronics Explorer 500 headset is less than $50. WAAAAY less than the fines in any state that has laws against using a handheld device while operating a motor vehicle. And way less than the cost of an accident. Siri has the ability to, handsfree, read new messages to you, and send a response. it works. But it isn't perfect and needs a better "conversation" mode.

The reason I suggest a headset over mere in-car integration is because most in-car integration, including CarPlay, doesn't work or SOUND as good as a Bluetooth headset. Noise is the enemy and we can't all have $70,000 cabin-noise-free Bimmers and Mercedeses and Teslas. Also, CarPlay has the driver touching the screen too much for anything beyond basic audio, as would the solution you are asking with an app. But with a Bluetooth headset and Hey Siri, a driver can talk to the iPhone, with dictation, and do a pretty good job. Tho I agree, it would be a nice Siri feature to be able to request sending a canned response, like with the Phone app. Currently, in iOS 9, Siri doesn't recognize auto-expansion phrases nor understand simple phrases like "Send <contact name> my current location". You can however say "Hey Siri, send a message to <full contact name|nickname> saying 'I am driving but I'll get back to you in half an hour.'" Siri will read the message back and ask you to say "Cancel" or "Send" (you can also say "Change" to re-say the message). That's pretty simple, and all handsfree.

As for the opinion stuff about responding to messages, we WANT TO DO THIS because we feel we need to. Whether for business or just family, being able to quickly respond to a message while driving without the overhead of a phone call can be important enough. The RIGHT way isn't to question that, but to help Apple (the device maker) to acknowledge that it is happening and engineer a safe, the SAFEST way to facilitate it.

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
we WANT TO DO THIS because we feel we need to. Whether for business or just family, being able to quickly respond to a message while driving without the overhead of a phone call can be important enough. The RIGHT way isn't to question that, but to help Apple (the device maker) to acknowledge that it is happening and engineer a safe, the SAFEST way to facilitate it.

Just out of curiosity, when you need to reply to a message, you need to read it first, right? And doing this while driving is safer than a phone call?
Even a phone call can be distracting, as can be other passengers in the car. It depends on the type of conversation. And if you've figured out how to have Siri read out messages to you, you sure have figured out (as you explain above) how to respond to them via Siri. So I, personally (and again, everyone should do as they wish to do), don't see a benefit in sending automated messages to people who text you. But that's just me. If you want it different, feel free to give Apple feedback and suggest such a feature.

Maybe (and just maybe) setting a personal status in iMessage - as in WhatsApp - could be of help there, so you can indicate you're busy. But automated messages? What if you get some message from abroad where even if you have a data plan it will cost you if an automated SMS is sent?

Zhaoman

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2015

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of iOS 10 to developers and public beta testers for testing purposes, just four days after releasing the sixth beta and more than two months after first unveiling the new operating system at its 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference. It is not clear what is included in beta 7, but given its unconventional release date, it may contain critical bug fixes.

iOS 10 beta 7 is available as an over-the-air download to those who installed the first six betas or the beta configuration profile and it's available for direct download via Apple's Developer Center (developers only).

iOS 10 is a major iOS update with a ton of new features and design tweaks, including a new Lock screen experience with 3D Touch-enabled notifications, a more easily accessible camera, a redesigned Control Center, and a new widgets screen. According to Apple, iOS 10 is the company's biggest iOS update ever released.

The Messages app in iOS 10 has been overhauled with features that include background animations, bubble effects, Digital Touch, handwritten notes, Tapback replies, predictive emoji, and a dedicated App Store, and Photos has gained new facial and object recognition capabilities along with a Memories feature for rediscovering forgotten moments.

iOS 10 is currently available to developers and public beta testers, with a full public release planned for the fall. iOS 10 beta 7 is likely to be the final update before the golden master version is released. For full details on iOS 10, make sure to check out our iOS 10 roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of iOS 10 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

"Battery Life" app, Raw Data not fully functional with iOS 10. Also, "Coconut Battery" for macOS Sierra does not recognize that iPhone is connected to the MacBook via USB cable. Today I received email confirmation from a developer at "Battery Life" that stated Apple has restricted certain battery data functions in iOS 10 which prevent Battery Life app's Raw Data from reading such data as battery cycles, charging current, and battery temperature. Also, Coconut Battery does not even recognize that my iPhone 6s is connected to my MacBook Pro via USB cable, while iTunes recognizes it and functions normally. I reported this bug to Apple beta feedback, but I'm not sure if this is a bug or if Apple is restricting battery health data purposely for some unknown strategic reason.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want that?
When you get a call you have the option to send an automated message "Can't talk right now.".

But messages as well as e-mails don't need to be responded to instantaneously. If whatever the other person has to tell you is THAT important, they would call, or am I mistaken?
One doesn't have to be reachable 24/7. If you feel the urge to respond to every single message right away, I guess you have a very stressful day - every day!
Why not have the option for something like that for those who might want to use it (for whatever reason)?

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Tells me it's beta 6.

Attachments

• IMG_6354.PNG
    IMG_6354.PNG
    85.5 KB · Views: 163

__SPV__

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2016
Battery life has gone worse after this update for me
[doublepost=1471709574][/doublepost]
Not specific to this beta, but it annoys me how you can't 'Love' songs from the lock screen any more, and it even requires a 3D Touch in the Music app itself! Of all the changes they made, the Music app is the one I like the least so far in terms of usability and aesthetics. Took me ages to find the Shuffle control, too. It's a real hot mess on the iPad, though: so much wasted space.

That said, I think iOS 10 is a great update on the whole and I've been astounded at how stable the betas have been. I've been onboard since PB 3 on my 6S and Air 2, with only a couple of very small bugs and random restarts. I've used less stable final releases!

I actually filed a bug request that the shuffle and repeat controls are missing before finding them. The new music redesign might look shiny now but usability and aesthetics are much worse than last version.
[doublepost=1471709797][/doublepost]
Wow - the previous PBs (at least starting with PB3) were pretty fast, even faster than iOS 9.3.3.
Just finished the update to PB6 on my iPad Air 2 and my iP6+.

Both devices had never been that fast (animations, opening apps, app performance)!

I have seen battery life has gone worse on those devices. Notice something on yours?

Last edited:
Reactions: racingbull

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Haven't noticed anything new with this beta

Not every beta will be bursting with new outwardly noticeable changes, as usual there's far more happening in changes to APIs for developers than there are new user features. Apple have to keep fixing and updating those too, he said stating the obvious :D

For me I'm just glad this beta has fixed the irritating "can't read from device" errors when I'm trying to get my wip apps installed.
Now I can continue fixing the ridiculous amounts of changes I keep having to make as swift 3 evolves. Pain in the butt ;)

ENDWARO7

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
Definitely not happening in iOS10. It would be great to see, but if it was coming, they certainly would have made a huge deal of it at the developer conference. No way they would just toss it into a developer update like that.
I think they will announce it when they announce the new iPhone.
[doublepost=1471710991][/doublepost]
My battery life on my iPad mini 4 is MUCH better than before. Could this have been the bug they wanted to fix?
My iPad Pro 9.7 was only lasting 4 hours on light continuous usage, but now it is back to 6-8 hours.

Dave Walker

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
Ok, I want y'all to check this and report it if it's still a bug. (As it is on 9.3.4)
Truncated time remaining/time played on long videos. (This if from the WWDC app, but the bug also shows in Safari on suitably long videos.)
It's been around since at least iOS 7 and I reported it ages ago.

image.jpeg

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: computersteve

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Just out of curiosity, when you need to reply to a message, you need to read it first, right? And doing this while driving is safer than a phone call?
Even a phone call can be distracting, as can be other passengers in the car. It depends on the type of conversation. And if you've figured out how to have Siri read out messages to you, you sure have figured out (as you explain above) how to respond to them via Siri. So I, personally (and again, everyone should do as they wish to do), don't see a benefit in sending automated messages to people who text you. But that's just me. If you want it different, feel free to give Apple feedback and suggest such a feature.

Maybe (and just maybe) setting a personal status in iMessage - as in WhatsApp - could be of help there, so you can indicate you're busy. But automated messages? What if you get some message from abroad where even if you have a data plan it will cost you if an automated SMS is sent?
Actually it takes just a bit to get used to.

"Hey Siri read my new messages."
"Hey Siri reply"
"I can' talk right now - driving"
When asked if Siri should send message say "yes"

Reactions: arcano17

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
How does one hide iCloud music that hasn't been downloaded yet in the Music app? I've looked in each beta and can't find an option.

Thanks,
John

You can't hide non-downloaded music completely but you can restrict it to only downloaded music by selecting that in the Music App. If it doesn't appear for you then edit the main menu, Playlists, Artists etc. one of the options will be Downloaded Music. This will only show downloaded music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.