Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided developers with the fourth beta of an upcoming 9.2 update to tvOS, the operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV and powers its built-in App Store. Today's tvOS 9.2 beta 4 comes two weeks after Apple released the third beta of tvOS 9.2 and a month after the release of tvOS 9.1.1, a minor update to tvOS 9.1. tvOS 9.2 has been in testing since January 11.

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes or Apple Configurator. Those who have already installed the first three tvOS 9.2 betas will be able to download the fourth update over the air.

tvOS 9.2 is a significant update for the tvOS operating system and new features have been added continually throughout the beta testing process. It brings support for Bluetooth keyboards, allowing a keyboard to be paired to the Apple TV for text entry. Bluetooth keyboard support is a major feature that was missing from previous versions of tvOS and its addition should make it much easier to do tasks like entering passwords on the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Along with Bluetooth keyboard support, the tvOS 9.2 update introduces support for grouping apps into folders on the Home screen like on iOS devices, plus it includes a new look for the App Switcher interface and it brings support for iCloud Photo Library and Live Photos.

tvos_folder-800x450.jpg

Support for dictation allows Apple TV users to dictate text and spell user names and passwords rather than typing them in. Dictation capabilities are available in all countries where Siri is available on the Apple TV. With tvOS 9.2, Siri also gains the ability to search for App Store apps, improving app discovery. Siri can search for a specific app or bring up a category of apps, such as games.

tvos_dictation-800x447.jpg

tvOS 9.2 also introduces MapKit so developers can incorporate maps into their tvOS apps, and it adds Siri support for US Spanish (in the US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only). UK English, Australian English, and US English are also now available as Siri options in the UK, Australian, and US Storefronts when English is set as the tvOS language.

tvos_switcher-800x445.jpg

We'll update this post with any new features that are discovered in the fourth beta of tvOS 9.2.

What's new in tvOS 9.2:

Remote - According to the release notes, there's a firmware update for the Apple TV Remote. It includes improved motion sensor performance and support for additional sound bar and receiver hardware.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth Beta of tvOS 9.2 to Developers

dr01dy

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
I would like to see the Plex pause bug go away. If you pause a move the status bar never disappears, anyone else seeing this ?

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2015
"Those who have already installed the second tvOS 9.2 beta will be able to download the third update over the air."

Should be...

Those who have already installed the third tvOS 9.2 beta will be able to download the fourth update over the air.

foxcub6

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Have the fixed the photos so I can view my I cloud collection rather just photostream , and also the amount of repeat photos in the slideshow

keastone

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Purchased apps - The list of purchased apps has been updated with a new section for apps "Not on This Apple TV."

This is not new to 9.2. This is available to anyone on the latest public release (9.1.1).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I would like to see the Plex pause bug go away. If you pause a move the status bar never disappears, anyone else seeing this ?

Not seeing that. But I do have a situation whereby a television series I have on Plex prematurely ends episodes at around the 40 minute mark or so. Anyone else ever had this?

Sean O'Hayer

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2016
"Those who have already installed the second tvOS 9.2 beta will be able to download the third update over the air."

Should be...

Those who have already installed the third tvOS 9.2 beta will be able to download the fourth update over the air.

I noticed that too. I guess that's what happens when you copy/paste an entire article every time a new beta is released...

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
It would be nice if you could use Apple TV's Siri to control HomeKit devices.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Anyone install the firmware update on the remote yet? I'd love to see if it improves the responsiveness/accuracy - for me the touch surface isn't always very accurate (yes, I've messed around with the speed in Settings).

How to update remote ?!?

If I remember correctly, you have to plug the remote into your Mac and open iTunes (which will prompt you to update the firmware).

SemperFi84

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I wish Apple add an app like Plex that can play mp4, mkv, avi and support shared folders without itunes.

When you say an app 'like' Plex; is there a reason to not use Plex when there is nothing from Apple with similar features? I am currently using Plex on my Apple TV and it is gorgeous! Movies that would pixelate or tear on my PS4 are crystal clear on the Apple TV. Obviously the processing power used in the Apple TV is far superior to what Sony used in their Console.

jonbauer

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
If I remember correctly, you have to plug the remote into your Mac and open iTunes (which will prompt you to update the firmware).

Hm. Doesn't prompt me to update. Not sure how to initiate a remote upgrade. Anyone figure it out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.