Apple Seeds Two OS X Mavericks Preview 3 Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the course of the last two days, Apple has seeded two bug fixes for developers using OS X Mavericks Preview 3, which was first released on Monday. The first minor update, pushed yesterday, was aimed at updating the OS X Recovery function.

[​IMG]
    Today's small update resolves an issue that causes a Mac running Mavericks Developer 3 preview to reboot without warning. Both updates are available via the Mac App Store.

OS X Mavericks introduces a number of significant changes to the operating system, including a tabbed finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, and Safari improvements. Mavericks is expected to be released in this fall after regular updates to the beta software.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Two OS X Mavericks Preview 3 Bug Fixes

2. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

3. macrumors 6502a

Please add non-shaky support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600, which came with all the 2008 Mac Pros that are supposedly compatible with Mavericks. I tried Mavericks, and it was slow and had graphical issues just as Mountain Lion did on my GPU.

4. macrumors member

Very glad this came up, I ran into this issue 2 nights ago.

5. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

It's still a beta … and that's one old graphics card.

6. macrumors 6502a

Yes and yes, but Mountain Lion is not in beta, and the card is supposed to be supported.

7. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Ah, sorry about that. Jumped the gun and missed the last part of the paragraph. Sorry again :eek:

8. macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed when you use the arrow menu next to Update All, it gives options of "Install Now, In an Hour and Tonight"?

I may have just overlooked it though.

9. macrumors 6502a

Ah, ok. I might be getting a 5770 soon because I'm sick of this old card.

10. macrumors 603

bedifferent

I just noticed this in the OS X App Store. Additionally, I have never seen a list of applications installed in the last 30 days in the "Updates" section before now.

11. macrumors member

I saw this, too. With automatic app updates now in iOS 7 and OS X, it's the only way to know which apps have been updated in the background.

12. macrumors 603

bedifferent

Excellent point.

13. macrumors 6502a

MrNomNoms

Quite bizarre because I've got a family friend who I've given my old iMac to which has the Radeon HD 2600 and doesn't exhibit those issues when running Mountain Lion. Just thinking out aloud how the issues can arise on a Mac Pro but not an iMac - tried a clean install? benchmark the driver using OpenGL Extensions Viewer? where abouts have you noticed the slow and problematic graphics - all instances or just with particular applications?

14. macrumors 6502a

It's noticeably slow everywhere. As a measure of how well it's working, my GPU fan gets noisy whenever I'm using Mountain Lion, even if it's idling with no apps open. Other people with Mac Pros with the Radeon HD 2600 have been complaining, but some of them have been saying that it works fine.

15. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Not bizarre at all. It's an old card. That's it. I'm sure the problem is isolated to his computer and not to Mac pros specifically. That's what happens with older hardware. It's starts to act funny and slows down as it ages.

16. macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Apple may have a surprise early release. I think they should.

Do you think they might call it Maverix or MaveriX ? ... I think they should.

17. macrumors newbie

I dont know that "hardware slows down as it ages"

It may be less effective than newer hardware at the task at hand but it dosent get tired.

As far as older hardware heating thermal limits because of dissapated thermal compound. Thats a different and fixable issue.

18. macrumors 65816

That Graphics Update hanged my MBP when trying to restart... Had to force restart it before the installer can resume... :confused::confused:

19. macrumors 6502a

ConCat

It slows down with every line of code added to OS X. Each one adds that much more load. A few OS revisions later and most hardware starts to feel slower.

20. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Shutdown times are great! It's like SL and Lion again. Not sure if this is DP3 or these updates because I did them all at once.

21. macrumors 65816

Nope... It is still slow at random...

The quickest shut down so far after the update is still slower than Snow Leopard...

----------

Off-topic... So which BOINC project did you participate...? :D:D

22. macrumors 65816

I keep feeling OS X Mavericks will be a free upgrade.

23. macrumors 68040

squeeks

Nope, there are more new features between .8 and .9 than there were between .7 and .8

24. macrumors 68040

Not due to code added to OS X since for any code added there's also redundant code removed from the kernel in each release. And since the CPU performance of the old hardware never changes with subsequent OS releases (Geekbench results stay stable under different OS's) it's mostly the GPU requirements of the new OS being higher due to more animations / effects.

And certainly the slowdown isn't uniform. Some parts of the OS actually gets faster with new releases on the same old hardware. 10.9 Safari works faster than all the previous Safari's on my 2008 Mac Pro.

25. macrumors 6502a

MrNomNoms

Did you even read what I wrote? my old iMac has the same card yet doesn't exhibit such behaviour hence I'm curious to know why he is experiencing it yet I am not.