Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

watchos2.jpg
Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming watchOS 2.2 update to developers, just over a week after seeding the fourth watchOS 2.2 beta and more than two months after releasing watchOS 2.1, the first major update to the watchOS 2 operating system that runs on the Apple Watch. watchOS 2.2 has been in testing since January 11.

The fifth watchOS 2.2 beta can be downloaded through the dedicated Apple Watch app on an iPhone running the iOS 9.3 beta by going to General --> Software update. To install the update, the Apple Watch must have 50 percent battery, it must be placed on the Apple Watch charger, and it must be in range of the iPhone.

watchOS 2.2, along with iOS 9.3, introduces support for pairing multiple Apple Watches with a single iPhone. Both updates are required, with each watch running watchOS 2.2 and each iPhone running iOS 9.3. watchOS 2.2 also includes a revamped look for the built-in Maps app on the Apple Watch with access to the Nearby feature first introduced with iOS 9 and new buttons for quickly accessing directions to home and work.

There were no other obvious outward-facing changes introduced in the first four watchOS 2.2 betas aside from the changes to the Maps app, but the update undoubtedly includes under-the-hood performance updates and bug fixes to address issues that have been discovered since the release of watchOS 2.1. WatchOS 2.2 is expected to debut in the spring, perhaps at Apple's rumored March 21 event.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of WatchOS 2.2 to Developers

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
It would be nice to either 1. have Messages sync with what threads are open in your phone (delete a thread on your phone, it removes it from your watch) or 2. be able to force touch open threads in Messages and be able to clear all or select threads to do a mass delete instead of doing it one... by one... by one...

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
It would be nice to either 1. have Messages sync with what threads are open in your phone (delete a thread on your phone, it removes it from your watch)

Yes! I'd also love an option that synchronized Messages across all devices (e.g. delete a conversation on the phone, deleted it from my iPad, Watch, and my Mac as well). At the very least, having it synchronize on the Watch would be great.

kungpaaao

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2015
Yes! I'd also love an option that synchronized Messages across all devices (e.g. delete a conversation on the phone, deleted it from my iPad, Watch, and my Mac as well). At the very least, having it synchronize on the Watch would be great.
How complicated do people want something on their wrist?

It would be nice to have a "limited" watch, rather than be an extension of phone (and trying to be a phone.). Focus on what's great for a watch, rather than having a small iPhone on wrist.

rob.james.arias

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2015
How complicated do people want something on their wrist?

It would be nice to have a "limited" watch, rather than be an extension of phone (and trying to be a phone.). Focus on what's great for a watch, rather than having a small iPhone on wrist.

I think you are looking at this all the wrong way. Having to individually delete messages on the phone, then watch, is more complicated than the simplification of synchronized messages.

Synchronization already occurs between a phone and mac, it's rather odd this behavior did not carry over to the watch.

Andrew.s

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Inland Empire
Going on with Message functionality wishes, I'd like if I had the option to turn off Ask Before Deleting just like in the custom Mail settings for the Watch.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Not showing up here. Everything up to beta 4 showed up just fine but 5 isn't showing up as available. Any suggestions?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Not showing up here. Everything up to beta 4 showed up just fine but 5 isn't showing up as available. Any suggestions?
Same here so I force closed the watch app and checked again to find the update.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I think you are looking at this all the wrong way. Having to individually delete messages on the phone, then watch, is more complicated than the simplification of synchronized messages.

Synchronization already occurs between a phone and mac, it's rather odd this behavior did not carry over to the watch.

It's not complete synchronization between phone and computer. New messages copy over, but I still have to separately delete them on each device.

Reactions: jgelin

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Yay, the option to buy multiple Apple Watches
It's not (primarily) about multiple watches, but rather a foundation for multiple wearables, such as e.g a smart watch, a smart ring and maybe smart glasses, too.

Of course it also serves those people who own multiple watches for fitting their respective outfit (it's marketed as a fashion item after all), but it'll be helpful in the future as well. Therefore it is good to lay the foundation as early as possible, when the WearableOS is still of (comparably) lower complexity.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
It's not (primarily) about multiple watches, but rather a foundation for multiple wearables, such as e.g a smart watch, a smart ring and maybe smart glasses, too.

Of course it also serves those people who own multiple watches for fitting their respective outfit (it's marketed as a fashion item after all), but it'll be helpful in the future as well. Therefore it is good to lay the foundation as early as possible, when the WearableOS is still of (comparably) lower complexity.

Apple Watch hasn't exactly flown off the shelves, I don't see Apple getting into other wearables anytime soon

Reactions: JackANSI

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Yay, the option to buy multiple Apple Watches

don't bother adding more faces which everyone wants

They (Apple) need to leave watch faces and possibly third party watch faces on the table so people will buy another watch down the road when it's included in a new version of WatchOS that the current generation can't upgrade to.

It's the "predictably Apple" way of things.

kaiseryeahhh

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
Spain
Work location in stock weather app? In mi watch don't work
In Iphone work and location services on, but on watch no work.
IPhone 6s with beta 5 and watch in beta 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.