Apple Seeds ZFS Read/Write Developer Preview 1.1 for Leopard

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has seeded version 1.1 of ZFS for Mac OS X to Developers this week. The preview updates a previous build released on June 26, 2007.

In the release notes, Apple confirms that the original release of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) will only offer Read-Only ZFS. As a result, no ZFS pools or filesystems can be modified or created under 10.5.0. This developer's preview enables full read/write capability, including the creation/destruction of ZFS pools and filesystems.

ZFS is described as "a fundamentally new approach to data management. We've blown away 20 years of obsolete assumptions, eliminated complexity at the source, and created a storage system that's actually a pleasure to use."

The initial version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is rumored to be released on October 26th, 2007. It's unclear when Leopard will incorporate full Read/Write ZFS support, but it seems clear that Apple is working on adding this functionality.

Article Link

2. macrumors 601

DMann

Newsworthy

This is phenomenal! ZFS is here!!! This alone makes Leopard worth the upgrade. Read/Write will be developed down the road - this marks the beginning of ZFS.

3. Retired

psychofreak

Awesome! Hopefully in 10.6 it will be bootable default :)

4. macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds interesting. I like the fact that Apple are still following through with this. HFS+ is definitely reaching the end of it's useful life.

5. macrumors 6502

bananas

I hope ZFS read/write support gets added to Leopard when it's ready. Not a moment earlier.

ZFS does sound like a cool filesystem.

6. macrumors 6502a

zwida

I don't even want to try to get my brain around 10.6. 2009 at the earliest, right?

7. macrumors member

So the Sun guy was telling the truth after all.

8. macrumors P6

Peace

I'm not gonna break my NDA but I will say it's fast as hell..

9. Retired

psychofreak

Not three words you often see together :)

10. macrumors 68000

RichP

I wouldnt mind Leopard coming out the end of November if we could see ZFS in the initial release. It is going to be a big improvement to data management.

11. macrumors member

what will ZFS do for me?

Average iMac user here. What does ZFS do that I might notice -- will ZFS matter to me? Serious question.

12. Retired

psychofreak

If we waited for everything cool that shoulda/coulda/woulda been here by now, it will be ages until Leopard. I personally was hoping for a truly resolution independant scaleable OS, while others wanted that faster OS switching shown on the Apple website...

13. macrumors regular

yeah, i'd be all over having zfs. this could be a very good thing.

14. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not just a serious question but a very good one at that.

15. macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing. What's the difference/big deal? :rolleyes:

I'm all for it if it's "new and cool" :p

16. macrumors 6502a

nice!

i think we'll see this used in airport disk and appleTV applications.

17. macrumors 6502

It's gonna be one of those "One more thing.... ZFS is implemented and it's bootable".

18. Retired

psychofreak

I seriously doubt that...

19. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

20. macrumors 6502

I don't think we'll be hearing any "One more thing..."s anytime soon. At least none that are significant. Apple seems to have spread it's resources thin at the moment... Just my thought. I could be wrong, and I hope I am! :rolleyes:

21. RRK
    macrumors 6502

RRK

Sweet! That loose end bothered me.

22. macrumors 6502a

sblasl

OK, I'll bite.

Just what is it that we will see in OS 10.5 as it relates to ZFS? If this is what is stated, than what do we get?

"In the release notes, Apple confirms that the original release of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) will only offer Read-Only ZFS. As a result, no ZFS pools or filesystems can be modified or created under 10.5.0. This developer's preview enables full read/write capability, including the creation/destruction of ZFS pools and filesystems."

23. macrumors member

My guess is that it's gonna find it's way into a point upgrade just like HFS+ Journaled did. Someone mentioned that the notes say that ZFS requires a GUID volume. Why would it require GUID if it's not bootable?

24. macrumors newbie

ZFS will make time machine faster and more usable by allowing snapshots at the filesystem level. You'll be able to plugin an external drive and zam, a few ZFS commands later and a full clone of your mac is made on the external drive. All of the snapshots in between backups can be time machined to.

25. Retired

psychofreak

To create bootable ZFS systems one needs to use scripts or do it manually. The ZFS Boot project recently successfully added boot support to the OpenSolaris project, and is available in recent builds of Solaris Nevada. ZFS boot is currently planned for a Solaris 10 update in late 2007.

Thanks to this from Wikipedia (Solaris 10 is out now so its a bit old) it seems to me that bootable ZFS is in its very early stages...not good enough for Leopard...