Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm curious. I'm not sure what patents are actually involved, but does anyone actually think that someone would buy a galaxy smartphone for tap to zoom? I bought my Galaxy S2 for the SAMOLED+ screen, Widgets and the notification center (which I didn't know was in the upcoming iOS but we all know apple ripped it from google). I don't give a rat's a** if it has tap to zoom, or anything like that.

I think that for the $500mil in lost profits apple would have to prove that people bought the phones and tablets for the specific features that they're talking about. Hard to do. As for the other 2bil...

I'm guessing the average Joe is more familiar with tap or pinch to zoom than they are SAMOLED+ screen.

seven2k7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Why would you guys want them to sue everyone that "copies" their products and make it better? That is a benefit to us. Apple is ruining the technology world with their patents. No one can innovate.

This website and your comments just prove that Apple is the best marketing company of all time. They can make you believe that buying out of date technology at a high price is a good thing.

Example:

Iphone 3gs $375 on apple site
galaxy nexus $350.

Don't even bother arguing that the 3gs is better because it isn't.

Spot on man!!! SPOT ON! People dont realize what apple is doing. Consumers are going to get screwed. Apple has become what they were against in the 80s. Just own it!! Apple doesnt equal freedom anymore. Apple = $$$$ at any cost.

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Why would you guys want them to sue everyone that "copies" their products and make it better? That is a benefit to us. Apple is ruining the technology world with their patents. No one can innovate.
QUOTE]

Try to remember what phones were like before the iPhone and then come back and tell me you still think Apple's making technology worse.

So because apple redesigned the phone, no one can innovate and make it better?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I'm curious. I'm not sure what patents are actually involved, but does anyone actually think that someone would buy a galaxy smartphone for tap to zoom? I bought my Galaxy S2 for the SAMOLED+ screen, Widgets and the notification center (which I didn't know was in the upcoming iOS but we all know apple ripped it from google). I don't give a rat's a** if it has tap to zoom, or anything like that.

I think that for the $500mil in lost profits apple would have to prove that people bought the phones and tablets for the specific features that they're talking about. Hard to do. As for the other 2bil...

You don't give a rats a** because you take it for granted as it its just part of the phone when, in fact, its part of the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You don't give a rats a** because you take it for granted as it its just part of the phone when, in fact, its part of the iPhone.

In cases like pinch to zoom - my opinion is - Apple can protect it's code on how to do it and I'm ok with it. I'm not ok with protecting the concept.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
So when Apple is forced to take off the LTE label on the new iPad, and when Apple gets sued because of Siri, it's the consumers damn fault for being absolute idiots and not researching enough about the product beforehand, making them entitled jerks. But if a consumer somehow mistakes a Galaxy tab for the new iPad it's Samsung's fault now? :p

You're holding it wrong :D

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
In cases like pinch to zoom - my opinion is - Apple can protect it's code on how to do it and I'm ok with it. I'm not ok with protecting the concept.

Someone said in an earlier post that you can't protect the code. Not sure how true that is though.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Amazing. Just amazing. Such utter dribble and ahistorical nonsense.

care to back it up with facts? multitouch phone existed before iphones. maybe they werent' so cool. so how is the other posters comment rubbish?

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
That is where you are absolutely wrong. If your Windows CE based phone truly ran laps around the original iPhone as you suggest. Then MS would still be developing Windows mobile. Let's not get crazy here, the first iPhone revolutionized the mobile industry, and changed things forever. I just think it's ludicris for Apple to put a ridiculously high number on things. However Samsung tends to do more copying than anyone else these days.

No. The iPhone just made smart phones enomously POPULAR because of the Apple mystic. There was NOTHING I couldn't do on my Windows CE (I think it was actually windows mobile 6.x) that the iPhone could do except for playing DRM protected music and MULTI-TOUCH, the latter which was significant but overall the iPhone brought nothing earth shattering to the smart phone markt. I did NOT buy the 1st iPhone because at the time I thought it was a dated phone, especially with no 3rd party apps nor any 3G nor a file system nor replaceable battery nor external storage, which was at the time about 2 years behind most other smartphones.

Of course, the iPhone STILL doesn't hve some of these things, and there are software things that I could do on my Windows mobile phone that you still can't do on an iPhone, like different keyboards and dialer skins and home screen tabs, widgets, etc. All of which I got back when I switched to the S3 / Android.

Last edited:

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
No one can innovate.

Exactly the opposite - Apple's rivals should go ahead and innovate: come up with a better way to zoom rather then 'tap to zoom' -there were zoom methods before, find a better one. ditto for 'slide to unlock', 'pinch', 'twist' etc etc.

Why is it up to Apple to rejuventate/reinvent the MP3 player, the smartphone, the tablet?

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Which one? Or are you just trolling?

Also - seeing as how I've made no ahistorical comments, I can only assume you don't know what ahistorical means.

EDIT: Actually, don't worry. I've just had a look at your post history and you clearly are just trolling.

Yeah, right. Over 1,000 posts of trolling and owning all the iPhone that existed after the first and every iPad that existed and an AppleTV. I just came here to troll. Jeez...:rolleyes:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Well it's a shame that Apple is not an American mfg company. It is only a design company located within the USA. Think of all the jobs we could have here....

What does that have to do with a discussion about patents?

As for the whole patent issue, people can run around screaming that these patents and software patents in general shouldn't be allowed. But the fact is that they are. Whether or not it should have been, Apple was granted patents on these features. As such, they have to try to protect them. I can't really fault them for that. If the patents should be invalidated...that's a whole different discussion. But do you really expect Apple to just stop trying to protect the patents which it legally owns? That's not logical.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Exactly the opposite - Apple's rivals should go ahead and innovate: come up with a better way to zoom rather then 'tap to zoom' -there were zoom methods before, find a better one. ditto for 'slide to unlock', 'pinch', 'twist' etc etc.

Why is it up to Apple to rejuventate/reinvent the MP3 player, the smartphone, the tablet?

come up with a better way to drive a car without using round tires.

I digress. I'm more against patent hoarding then I am against patents themselves. In other words - Apple should be negotiating the use of their patents. Not preventing people from using them.

But that's there business model, not mine. And up to date it has been working for them. Not so sure it's the way for the future though.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Seriously take the millions and millions of dollars you're putting towards legal fees going back and forth to help mitigate profit losses from moving the jobs back to the US.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Mark it as a credit on an invoice

IF Apple receives the judgment, it will likely spend much more on Samsung components in future Apple products.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
No the first iPhone wasn't revolutionary. It didn't even runs 3rd party apps, for heaven's sake. The only thing different was multi-touch. I had a touch based Windows CE based phone at the time that ran circles around it. It's just that Apple made smartphones POPULAR because of the core fanatical fanbase.

They need to stop these ridiculous lawsuits.

Laughable.
I had the highest end Windows phone and loved it a lot before the iPhone was release but to say that it was anywhere near the level of the iPhone is laughable.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Then Apple should sue resellers who direct iPad requests to competing products.

Do you know anyone who puts a "band-aid" on a cut, or when you want an answer they suggest you "google" it?

That brands become generic with success does not in itself mean that all other brands have no value.

You didn't read my previous post, right? This has nothing at all to do with brands. Brands are completely irrelevant to design patents. Branding is _expressly excluded_ from design patents. This is about making products that _look_ similar enough to confuse the customer, and when a court has to compare the products for similarity, the branding is excluded from the comparison.

And what grounds would Apple have to sue a reseller? Every reseller is expected to sell what they have on sale. Manufacturers have the duty to respect the laws and not produce products that can be confused, in the presence of design patents.

IF Apple receives the judgment, it will likely spend much more on Samsung components in future Apple products.

Samsung has competitors, who will gladly accept money from Apple. Apple also has the cash to create manufacturing capacity very, very quickly. Losing Apple as a customer would be fatal for Samsung.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
How to not have problems with Apple...

Don't steal from Apple.

Read my signature...pretty clear if you ask me...

intelgrande

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
For everyone saying that that iPhone was revolutionary, blah, blah... I ask you: So what? Why do you guys have this belief that just because you come up with an idea first, you should have exclusive rights to that idea? There's a difference between patenting an invention that produces a result, and patenting the result itself. Apple is complaining about the latter.

I understand that Apple is working within the confines of existing law, but I also strongly disagree with the "inventions" Apple has been patenting.

I always compare it to something like a car engine. I can understand a patent covering the inner workings that aren't so obvious, even when you have the ability to examine the engine up close and personal. But Apple is trying to patent the idea of putting an engine in a car.

If you can look at something and figure out almost instantly how it works, I don't see how that is patentable. Great design? Probably. Should you be able to get a piece of paper that gives you exclusive rights to that design? No.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No it is not ridiculous Chris.

If you can patent Beer on a Stick...
http://invention-protection.com/pdf_patents/4350712.pdf

or a Slot Machine-Shaped Toaster...
http://invention-protection.com/pdf_patents/patd545112.pdf...

...why should it be ridiculous for Apple to patent their inventions?
If they have been awarded a patent, they are fully within their rights to fight for damages if someone wants to take a shortcut and profit from illegally copying their work.
When the patent runs out anyone can copy it.
But until then the law is the law, not just when it's convenient for you.

Because if the world of patent law were entirely like the world of technological patent law a company would be able to patent the toaster. Therefore the Slot-Machine Shaped Toaster would be illegal.

I own Apple products, but I am so angry with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.