Apple Seeks to Add Samsung Galaxy S4 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 14, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Just weeks after the launch of Samsung's latest Galaxy S4 flagship smartphone, FOSS Patents reports that Apple is seeking to add the device to a patent lawsuit already underway against Samsung in the United States.

Judge Lucy Koh has already ordered Apple and Samsung to narrow their case, which is expected to go to trial in March 2014. Each side will ultimately be required to limit their cases to ten targeted devices, although the current stage is seeing the companies pare their lists to 22 devices each.
    The two sides are also continuing to disagree over what constitutes a single product, with Samsung arguing that each carrier version of its devices should count as a separate product, seeking to shift the balance by taking advantage of its significantly larger number of devices compared to Apple's lineup.

Apple's list of 22 products currently covers a number of Samsung's smartphone and tablet devices, while Samsung's own list includes virtually every device and service offered by Apple, including all iPad and Mac models, all iPhone models dating back to the iPhone 3G, the last three iPod touch generations, 1st and 3rd generation Apple TV models, and even iTunes and iCloud. While the battle between Apple and Samsung has focused mainly on mobile devices until now, Samsung's counterclaims have sought to bring Apple's Mac lineup and services into the dispute by asserting infringement of a patent related to multimedia synchronization across devices.

Article Link: Apple Seeks to Add Samsung Galaxy S4 to U.S. Patent Lawsuit
  2. macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Of course they do. I'm sure lawyers on both sides will be plea$ed.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2011
    Fresno, CA
  4. macrumors member

Jun 27, 2010
    They should concentrate on making beautiful devices..
    Seems Samsung S4 is a heavy rival for Apple.. Good for us, well i am swithing this week to a S4 - iOS and the small screens got boring.. :)
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 4, 2007
    Denver Colorado
    And to think we are funding this nonsense with every Apple purchase.
  6. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    They should future-proof their lawsuits more efficiently. Adding the device after it's circulated seems redundant
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2008
    Well if they would spend more time making better products and less time busting Samsung's balls they might be a bit more productive.

I know, Apple does things incrementally. They're so darn behind though. It's really pathetic. I hope they do a major overhaul on iOS7 instead of a stupid flat design. I'm not really that excited for something so small and mediocre.
  8. macrumors member

Apr 21, 2008
  9. macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2011
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2008
  11. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
    Yawn. MR needs a back page where they can post all this patent BS.
  12. macrumors regular

May 13, 2013
    Color me surprised. Apple the worlds biggest cry baby does it again.

To me this just tells me Apple is running scared.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2007
    Okay... the lawsuits were fun to follow the the first time around but now it's just annoying and ridiculous. It's never going to end as long as both companies keep releasing phones. In a month Samsung will add the iPhone 5S/6 and iPad mini 2 retina and in another few months Apple will add the Galaxy S IV Mini Mini version II and Galaxy Note V Gargantuan.

Less suing more innovating please. Both of you.
  14. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    what color is surprised?
  15. macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2012
    Toronto, Canada.
    The colour of the galaxy s4

Side note: What happened to the 1bn that was awarded and all that jazz?
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2012
    seriously, so annoying. didn't cook even say he never supported the idea of taking samsung to court? why won't they just stop it? the judges should fine both of them 1bn and donate it to children in africa
  17. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    Really Samsung? Because a phone being on a different carrier makes it a different phone?
  18. macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    This is one of the problems with owning a Samsung Galaxy S4.

The second Apple wins the lawsuit, they will issue self-destruct orders to all Samsung Galaxy S4 phones. You'll be in the middle of a phone call on your S4, oblivious to the court hearings, and *poof* your phone will be gone, up in smoke.

True story, bro.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2009
    The CCTV Capital of the World
  20. macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2009
    As much as I want to give the next iPhone a chance again, it's tactics like this that keep me looking elsewhere for my mobile needs. Shame on you Apple. Innovate, don't litigate! :cool:
  21. macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't mind but from a practical perspective, the Galaxy S and Iphone lines are as dissimilar as two dissimilar things in a pod.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2010
    i dont have any insider information, but if samsung really stole from apple, they deserve nothing less, but more.

i wonder what kind of spin would steve jobs put on this
  23. macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Yes, because we can all see that donating to Africa IS proved to be working.
    So that the children can grow up happy and have a ton more children in geometric progression, so Samsung and Apple can donate another 10 billion and so on...

That's brilliant.
  24. macrumors 68030

Feb 17, 2009
    Only possible with plastic:)
  25. macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2012
    Looking at your signature, you sure seem to like buying Apple's products! :rolleyes: