Apple seems to be listening...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diatribe, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Apple gets rid of more and more annoyances I have with OSX...
    Now they implemented QT sharing for Tiger. Together with things like fullscreen controls and tabs for iChat, etc. it seems like Apple is really listening to the feedback they get.
    So keep it up and write Apple

2. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

now if only they'd get word of those handy new devices called multi-button mice...
    i heard somewhere, somebody started making them with these wheels in them that allow you to scroll up or down on a page without even moving the pointer on screen!

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, sure, like I'd believe that. I suppose next you'll try to convince us that people should be able to resize windows from somewhere other than the lower right corner. Keep these bizarre fantasy ideas to yourself....

4. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I think one-button mice (particularly the design Apple uses) are probably better for your hands. I used PCs for years -- still do, to a lesser extent -- and my joints in my right index finger ain't as good as they ought to be. Been getting better since I mostly switched, though.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The new QuickTime player looks much better - it's about time they brought it into the 21st century. It's always felt like a Mac OS 9 program that has been slapped into OS X as quickly as they could.

I really think they should make the full screen thing free - especially when Steve Jobbs jokes about musicmatch and stuff charging you for MP3 importing, etc. I mean, come on...

Not that QuickTime Pro is bad value, of course - I have that (I wanted full screen QT mainly!) and it is quite powerful.

A question then.. with this rehaul of QT Player, will I still get access to the pro features which I've paid for, or will I have to pay again? I'm worried my software key is going to "get lost" in the upgrade process.. :(

6. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

only if they call it 7...

if this version is 6.6 or 6.7 or whatever, then you won't have to pay for Pro again.
    it's only when they upgrade it enough that they decide to make it 7 that you'll have to pay.

7. Logik macrumors 6502a

do they have a discount for upgrades normally for QT pro? i bought 6 pro when i bought my pb 6 months ago but am kinda hesitant to want to spend $30 on 7 (if thats what they'll call it) when i barely use it as it is... but would like the ability to have full screen .. the editing is kinda nice sometimes.. but i can't justify $30 again right away.. i'd rather get it for like $20 or something .. especially when i'll be getting iLife '05, Tiger, and now QT 7 (if they don't just do a point release)

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Currently it seems to be called QT 6.6 but then it seems like the biggest change to QT Player in years... I hope there is no charge.. :(

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

A bit harsh?

10. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

I think that was supposed to be humurously sarcastic, though I could be wrong.

11. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I bet that it will be renamed Quicktime 7 by the time Tiger is released.

Did you know that Quicktime 6.6 is actually a Cocoa program, not Carbon? They totally rewrote it from scratch.

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I thought it would have been. About bloody time! Now, when I zoom a window it will take note of the Dock! I can't imagine they wouldn't call it QT 7 for final release.

13. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

And it live-resizes! ;)

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You mean I'll get 3 FPS when resizing the window, like iTunes and iPhoto and iMovie!

15. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

:confused: I don't know what sort of machine you have... For me there's no frame drop (Tiger 8A171).

lol

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Obviously that was an exageration! I was merely a stab at Mac OS X's worst feature - window resizing performance, particularly of brushed metal windows. On my machine things like the Finder, Safari and any aqua window are fine (although not as good as Windows) but, in particualar, iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie (the worst) are choppy when resizing, which makes it difficult to resize them accurately. I've heard of this problem even on dual G5 machines so it's not just my machine. :p Are you sure iTunes live resizes at 60 FPS? ;)

17. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I've never known any carbon app to live resize smoothly. That includes itunes and finder. IMO The live resizing in Quicktime 6.6 is very smooth.

iPhoto isn't bad at all. Neither is iMove (just went checking). Alhough I have a 1.5GHz machine.

18. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Ok, so they're not as bad as I made out, but you'd think Apple could fix this properly by now?! I'm waiting for the day when all apps go cocoa. :D

19. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

You and me both. Finder and iTunes are he only ones left I think.

20. shidoshi macrumors regular

How has the QT Player changed, UI-wise? (Sorry if this has been mentioned in another thread.) I really, really wish they would make it into an iTunes-like program. It really sucks that no media player for OSX has yet to have a decent media library function.

21. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I don't have access to it first-hand, but it appears from shots of Tiger to look the same, just now it will use "proper" brushed metal, rather than its own version of it. It's now a cocoa program with a few new features.

A media library idea sounds quite good, but I don't think people have enough media clips stored to make it worthwhile - most media that is viewed is either streamed or temporarily downloaded.

22. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

what would be nice, short of a media library function, is the ability to play files in sequence. while it's nice to make a playlist in iTunes and take care of audio files that way, it's also a little more work than it should be and that doesn't address movie files at all.

another nice thing to have in QT Pro would be batch processing. that was in 4 or 5 but it has since departed.

23. shidoshi macrumors regular

Of course, that argument could have been used back when people didn't have many MP3s, and a player where you opened and played songs one at a time was enough.

I know, I know - people can much easier get ahold of and make their own audio content. However, with as big as Apple is into iMovie and whatnot, they have to think that some people could use this. Any, anyhow, I'm much more hoping that VLC or MPlayer gets a media library. QT Player is spotty at best when trying to handle MPEG and DivX files. (Yes, even with the proper plug-ins.)