apple selling crt!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by extremo, Nov 10, 2004.

1. extremo macrumors newbie

I was just looking at the g5 towers, and apple has put up mitsubishi crt displays as a BTO option. How wild is that?!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple has been selling CRTs at the Apple Store along with a bunch of 3rd party stuff, but I still didn't see it as a BTO option in the first PowerMac configuration page.

I had to look outside the PowerMac config page to find them... after the continue button where you can add a bunch of 3rd party stuff to the shopping cart.

3. extremo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its a glitch or somthing... its only on the single 1.8 tower under the primary display. The options are two mitsubish crts, a 17 and a 19 inch, and then the three apple lcds. But they only appear every 2-3 times. Whatever.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I know Apple offers CRTs in the educational store. Not sure about non-educational though....at least not in the BTO section.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and here i got excited that apple might be selling their own brand of crts again....

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

But they did a while ago. At least thats what I saw in one my school's Mac labs (yes they still have old G4, sawtooths?, but they also have G5s :D). Of course, they could bring them back again to offer at a lower price compared to the more expensive LCDs they have now. They should offer a 17" LCD screen again, only in the new aluminum style at a lower price, because I don't think a consumer who wants expandibility (not the iMac or eMac, etc), would want to buy a single G5 1.8Ghz and put out another $1,000 + on an LCD monitor. Course they could get another brand for a monitor or something. But be kinda nice if they had a "consumer" or "i series" for LCDs that wasn't an iMac or eMac.....

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats kinda what i was hoping for when i saw the thread title

it sure would be nice for apple to off a lower cost monitor solution, even crt i would take, it would be cool and it would still allow me a dual monitor setup with my powerbook, although a 15 inch LCD would probably be just the perfect size, or 17 too =)