Apple Sells 275,000 Songs in First 18 Hours

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JakeWalker, Apr 30, 2003.

1. JakeWalker macrumors member

Mar 7, 2002
    Just read an article from Billboard Daily that says that Apple did 275k track sales in first 18 hours of the music store.

Also, Jobs said in Time interview he would be approaching the indies next... just wasn't enough time before the launch.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: Apple Did 275,000 in sales in first 18 hours.

and they would do much more if they had a windows version as well. i have talked to many friends about this who dont loike the idea of a kazaa type copany.
  3. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well that explains why it was so damn slow the first few hours. I kept getting 504 and 404 errors. I wonder what they're going to have to sell to break even...

Also, When they bring the Windows losers on board they need to put a few Apple ads up as well as imbed a white apple on all the CD cover pictures :D

Now maybe I'm not so against the Computer-for-dummies version....;) :cool:
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Amazing. That many sales on a barely functional system.

I'm looking forward to the Stevenote at WWDC or MWNY about this. ;)
  5. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    Wow. That's just crazy. And I know I bought more songs on the second day than on the first day...
  6. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    wow! and that was US only. Soon all countries will have support and the music sales will flood in. I know where I'll be shopping
  7. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
  8. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2002
    Me too. The fist day I bought only one song, but today i got like five. Who knows tomorrow. Well.....I better control my self or else I will have a big credit card bill by the end of the month. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
  9. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.
    And how many sites/people have voiced the opinion that this would be a failure from the start?

Why, I do believe many a journalist is once again eating their words about Apple.

Go Steve. Music and Apple, it works.
  10. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    well, 2 points. lets look at it from the financial point of view. this means some 270 000 $ income, but you still have to substract the music rights and there will be lets say ( i guess ) some 50 000 $ for apple. on one day, that s not that bad.

but, we have to ( and that is my second point ) élook at the sales in 2 months or so, as at the beginning there is always a little histery to see how it is working, how the quality is and so on. Perhaps they will lower ( i mean the downloads ) but perhaps they will raise.

Yeah Apple, go go go! , Peace
  11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Apple gives the recording company 65 cents per song, so Apple gets 34% (approx.) of the take. So, Lets assume $250,000, apple gets $85,000. Not bad for a side business.
  12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    alas, there will be no Stevenote at MWNY/Create... I am guessing that we are to be happy with the latest annoucement, or get used to these one-offs anytime, which is fine for me. I am sure he will still do SanFran, and my sister-in-law lives out there, so maybe New Years in CA next year ;-)
  13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Define sales, apple makes a profit of around 33cents every song is sold, so with that said if all of their sales were songs they could have made $90,750 already, subtracting the costs it would be less, obviously.

But CD's are different depending on how many songs are in the CD the profit is different...

still good news.
  14. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You also have to remember that if Apple's going to be adding songs every day, people will still continue to buy from them.

This is just the beginning of a very good thing. Maybe it will speed up production of a windoze version of iTunes... If Apple can sell 270k songs from just 5% of the market share, then imagine how many songs Apple will sell with the windoze world? I can guess almost a million songs on the first day...

I hope Apple has a **** load of xServes to handle the load. It's gonna be big!
  15. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    quick math:

$270,000 a day

$98.6 mil a year

$34.5 mil in revenues for Apple

Not bad, but not great. The Mac market, for the most part, is just a preview of the real money to be made in the PC world.

3 Mac users to every 97 PC (& others)

Fully saturated market with Apple Music taking over the world:

$1.1 bil in revenues for Apple!!!
  16. BigJayhawk macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2003
    New Jersey
    2.5% - 3.0%

I agree with your post (and my addition makes the vast success twice as potent).

However, my two cents is that (unfortunately) I think our market share is more like 2.5% - 3.0% now.
  17. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    I wonder what apple the music label think of all this or are they too small these days to complain ?

It's not like apple computer are technically running a rival record label but apple the record label might get nasty.

Apple Computer would win again but what would they call the system alert in the victory's honour, maybe "sosumitwo", "wegotback", or "imagine all the gpul"
  18. jethroted macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The article talks about how this is only on the mac platform, but that is not even just the missing market. The service is also only available in the States. Even if they just offered it through out the world it would mean huge $$$ for everyone. If this music could subsidize apple enough, we might even see the hardware fall in price in the future!!
  19. punter macrumors 6502

Feb 22, 2003
    So far it's only apple and it's only USA, plus don't they have to be running OSX to use the new itunes?

Regardless, screw other countries (like mine), screw old versions of mac os, just get this thing ported to PC before anyone else does!

Ka Ching!! Sure Steve talks it up, but I believe this is definitely a turning point for the sale of music.
  20. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I wonder

I highly doubt that more than a million people have downloaded iTunes 4 so far. If we can see perhaps all 5 million Mac OS X users using it at some point (Panther) then we could get average daily sales to around 500,000+.

In the first 24hrs I am also sure there were alot of skeptical buyers waiting to see what would happen. I certainly know that I wasn't but then again, I was an international user, so I can't buy. In two weeks when usage has jumped, I am sure it will stabilize at a rate Apple will be happy with. In 3 months when international users can join in and we see close to 5 million Mac OS X with iTunes 4 in their hands, we should those levels that I am talking about.

Just remember, 500,000 users buying one song a day is not that much. 50,000 users buying 10 songs a day is also not that much. I wonder if we combined can set a world record for the most downloads off a single server network in one day. :)

My 2 cents.
  21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Yes they should release a port by WWDC, that would a great place to announce the service for windows users, They have to do this fast, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Apple. They can beat the rest of the market and be the online standard for music online. They just have to act quickly!!

Don't lose this opporutunity now!!
  22. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    That was the first day, so that may be unusually high sales, not the average, like the opening day of a movie.
  23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    It's only going to get better

This is only a fraction of the Mac Market and only a fraction of the total music that will be available in a year.

As others have said. When this goes Global

When this goes PC

And if AOL bites on the service this is going to be a tremendous boost for Apple.

The bigger it gets ...the better. Soon the better Indies will be aboard.

I can see once Apple reaches Critical Mass them being able to offer promotions and other specials that will boost profits even more.

Apple should offer iBucks. Purchase so many songs and receive credit on Apple Store items or whatnot.

Drive Sales Apple!
  24. dobbin macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2002
    So are you saying you'd rather Apple sold music to US PC users than introduce the service to other Mac users around the world, including yourself? Thats a bit wierd if you ask me.