Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by macduke, Sep 10, 2007.

1. macrumors 601

macduke

Yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29, Apple sold the one millionth iPhone. “One million iPhones in 74 days—it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We can’t wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season.” [Sep 10, 2007]

- apple.com

2. Moderator emeritus

CUPERTINO, California—September 10, 2007—Apple® today announced it sold its one millionth iPhone™ yesterday, just 74 days after its introduction on June 29. iPhone combines three devices into one—a mobile phone, a widescreen iPod®, and the best mobile Internet device ever—all based on Apple’s revolutionary multi-touch interface and pioneering software that allows users to control iPhone with just a tap, flick or pinch of their fingers.

“One million iPhones in 74 days—it took almost two years to achieve this milestone with iPod,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “We can’t wait to get this revolutionary product into the hands of even more customers this holiday season.”

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market this year with its revolutionary iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/09/10iphone.html

3. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Great news, although somewhat naively I expected this in the first weekend :eek:
    The 2 years to sell a million iPods stat adds an interesting perspective though.

4. macrumors 6502a

yoman

So 250,000 in first two days and an additional 750,000 in the next 72?

5. thread starter macrumors 601

macduke

hah, you mean that funny named 5gig, $400 behemoth with no touchwheel, only 6 lines of text display, no equalizer and no windows support (which is the majority of the population) surprises you that it took it so long to sell?

i would have thought it would reach this milestone earlier too, especially with all the hype and the established branding. guess that's why they dropped it to $399. wonder how many of those sales were in the last week?

6. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Bring it to the UK, we'll double it (and the price so it seems..) :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

When you put it like that......... yeah, fair comment ;)

8. macrumors 68020

Put differently, that decision cost them essentially $100 million. As a shareholder, I'd be upset.

9. macrumors 6502a

Stock Holder

With 14 billion in cash and future sales the 100 million is a pimple on their ass. Also factor is the writedown for tax purposes and the fact that it is a store credit and not cash back, more favorable tax and accounting treatment for apple.

Net of net it is good for customers and will propel this even further.

I purchased at 27 and 38 many years ago and have never looked back. Post adjusted splits I am up of 1200% on my original investment.

10. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think it's that simple. They won some goodwill back from die-hard customers. These are people who are likely to spend a lot of money on Apple products in the future.

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Thats over 10,000 iPhones a day, after the initial weekend. I'd call that pretty impressive.

12. macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

13. macrumors 68020

Id say for a phone that expensive, its more than impressive - its unprecedented.

14. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Sells One Millionth iPhone

[​IMG]

Apple announced today that it has sold its one millionth iPhone.

Last week, Apple announced a $200 price cut on the 8 GB iPhone and the elimination of the 4 GB model in order to further spur sales heading into the holiday season. Existing customers will be receiving a $100 Apple Store credit if they haven't already been reimbursed. Details will be given this week.

Article Link

15. macrumors regular

With my credit, I'll be purchasing iWork '08. The CD and box will cost Apple about two dollars. Many others are likely to buy high-margin accessories like the Apple Bluetooth Headset. Your $100 million price tag is absurd.

16. macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I will say that without the $100 I would not be contemplating a new iPod, so by doing that they will be getting me to spend some extra money for a classic this week.

17. macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

18. macrumors 603

notjustjay

C'mon, I'd be happy to make that 1,000,001 if he'd just release it in Canada...

19. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

But wait all the pundits said the iPhone was flop and that's why Apple had to lower the price...because it wasn't selling! Oops. Guess they was wrrrrrong.

20. macrumors newbie

1,000,002 if it was available in the UK.

21. macrumors 6502

decimortis

22. macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

23. macrumors regular

As a stockholder, I'm happy ... that $100 credit will bring a ton of people back to the store. Actual cost of goods on that $100 credit is a drop in the bucket!
    Most people will spend more than $100.

24. macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Well, 74 days sounds pretty good to me. Congratulations!

25. thread starter macrumors 601

macduke

APPLE!! listen up. now that you've sold your 1 millionth iphone, why not celebrate with a real software update?? come on! it will be a party.

...or at least fix safari crashes!! idk about you guys but safari has locked up my iphone twice in the past week so i had to reboot it, and crashed countless times, ipod or not. what's the deal lately?