Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
wow, never been bumped to the first page before. guess it was bound to happen with such a big story.

What's this about a iPhone price cut? How come this isn't making news?!

are you serious?? tell me you're not serious.

there is no possible way you could be serious...

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
I'm hoping they give a good time extension on the $100 credit. If it holds out until next month, I'll be getting Leopard with that money.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
It would be cool so see a graph of the sales by week. I still think the sales were slowing which contributed to the price drop. But honestly, I'm sure a price drop was part of the original plan. Maybe they wanted to slow the initial release pace to help iron out the initial bugs?

I'm days away from buying mine...

tschull

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Put differently, that decision cost them essentially $100 million. As a shareholder, I'd be upset.

As a shareholder you would stop to consider that they will likely sell far more iPhones and secure more market share with competitive pricing. They are not going to "lose" $100M. I have no idea what Apple's R&D costs were for the iPhone, but at some point it's paid for. Component costs, as has been noted elsewhere, are decreasing due to increased utilization across other product lines. The net cost to manufacture the phone is decreasing. However, this is not so much the point as how much revenue can be can be realized over the product cycle life. The actual profit per unit is not as important.

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
C'mon, I'd be happy to make that 1,000,001 if he'd just release it in Canada...

I second that.
I'm going to get an ipod touch anyway, but if by some minor miracle the iphone came to Canada, i'd be all over that.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
APPLE!! listen up. now that you've sold your 1 millionth iphone, why not celebrate with a real software update?? come on! it will be a party.

...or at least fix safari crashes!! idk about you guys but safari has locked up my iphone twice in the past week so i had to reboot it, and crashed countless times, ipod or not. what's the deal lately?

I think it is coming by the end of this month...

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Right!

The worst they could do with this deal is actually around 50 mil. And that's actually wrong because we don't know if the $100 refund is given to those who purchased 4GB iPhones too. And we don't know if apple will mail/email these out or you have to request it; if you have to request it cut the 50 mil in half again.

With my credit, I'll be purchasing iWork '08. The CD and box will cost Apple about two dollars. Many others are likely to buy high-margin accessories like the Apple Bluetooth Headset. Your $100 million price tag is absurd.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Put differently, that decision cost them essentially $100 million. As a shareholder, I'd be upset.

Thinking in a slightly longer term, that $100 million investment will turn into $100 million sales of other Apple products at some profit margin-- Apple issued a store credit, not a rebate/refund. And the customer satisfaction and PR value of this is tangible.

Thinking in a yet, longer, term-- through the holidays and next years SMB budget cycle, the price reduction will likely result in (estimated) 3 x sales of the iPhone at the old price (lower prices expand the potential number of customers) and provide Apple additional profit margins because of economy of scale. I suspect that Apple will see a significant ROI on this $100 mil this year!.

As a AAPL share holder, this investment is a "no-brainer"... Name a better investment than AAPL, its products and its customers.

dscottbuch

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2002
When you put it like that......... yeah, fair comment ;)

Not really since, at the time, it was the smallest, most capable (including iTunes) device out there. It brought true functionality to the Mac community. Windows was the only thing missing at the time. [Braces for refutation by the feature mongers - no radio - no.... Please note they still don't have it and they are still the monster market leader]

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
So true

£500 iPhone anyone? :rolleyes:

If Apple muck up the pricing for the UK I can't be fussed buying one, I'll be happy with a iPod classic and my O2 Ice...

Looking at how iPods are priced over here, I would guess that the iPhone will be £250-300.

Pound for pound it is much cheaper in America - but only because the dollar is weak. In real terms, they pay roughly the same as us.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Looking at how iPods are priced over here, I would guess that the iPhone will be £250-300.

Pound for pound it is much cheaper in America - but only because the dollar is weak. In real terms, they pay roughly the same as us.

whaaa?!

how do you work that out.... $399... is like £200.
the very cheapest it will be over here is £299... probably more...

nick

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Alternatively, Apple could have sold iPhones for $399/$499 from the start. Customers would have $100 in their pocket instead of $100 Apple Store vouchers. I'd guess that 20% of these vouchers will never be used, another 20% will not be used fully, and 30% will drive sales that would otherwise not have happened (like buying an iPod, buying a more expensive Mac than planned). Only the remaining 30% will be a loss for Apple, when people make purchases that they wanted to do anyway.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
whaaa?!

nick

If I remember correctly, the $350 iPod is £220 over here. I can't check because I'm at work.

Assuming the above is correct, you do the maths.

(Having said that, I agree that £300 is the more likely price point.)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
wonder how many of those sales were in the last week?

I got an iPhone in Oklahoma City last Friday. I asked them how they had been selling (this was an AT&T store--the Apple Store is closed for renovations). The guy gave me an essay--they sold out every day for a week (that was just like 40 phones/day), then it trickled of till they'd sell just 3-4 a day for a long time. He said they had been selling like hot cakes since the price drop, 20/day or more.

I could easily see them having sold 250,000 iPhones since the price drop last week. $600 for a phone is going to grab you some early adopters (huge numbers in the first days), but it really was too expensive to become a hugely popular phone. Selling it at that price initially was I think a wise decision. For one thing, the device is worth it--or nearly so. But it certainly probably got a lot of people drooling who wouldn't pay $600, and might even be reluctant to pay $400, but since there was a price drop, well, that makes it OK to spend $400. A wise move indeed, I would say.

What a great phone. Other than the fact that I will probably have to have mine replaced over the checkered-dots issue, it's by far the neatest gadget I've ever owned. I can't wait for 10 million users so there is a real fire under Apple's butt to make the OS really classy with a huge array of apps and a third-party SDK like they've already reverse engineered.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
whaaa?!

nick

The easiest way to guage the price would be to look at the iPod Touch prices.

In the States, the 16GB iPod Touch is $399, the same price as the iPhone. In the UK, the 16GB iPod Touch is £269.

People who are crying about it potentially costing £500 are very far off the mark.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
The worst they could do with this deal is actually around 50 mil. And that's actually wrong because we don't know if the $100 refund is given to those who purchased 4GB iPhones too.
What makes you think its a possibility that 4Gb iPhone purchasers won't get the $100 coupon? Quoth Mr Jobs:
Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards...
Don't see anything in there to suggest that he's only talking about 8Gb iPhone buyers.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
working toward 2,000,000

so how long until the 2 millionth?! i'll add to the the pile once my tmobile contract runs up in feb, and by then hopefully with a 16GB . . . perhaps even 3G capability . . . !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.