Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun sending emails when AppleID's are used to make purchases on iOS devices not previously associated with the account. It is likely these emails are being used as one way to combat increasingly frequent app purchase fraud.

fraudprotectemail.jpg

MacRumors reader Michael had his iPhone replaced at an Apple Retail Store. After the first App Store purchase on the replaced phone, he received the above email. The email doesn't require confirmation of the purchase, but is instead a simple notification that a new device has been used and requests the user change their password if they don't recognize the activity.

Apple already requires credit card users to reenter the 3 or 4 digit CID number from the back of their credit card (front in the case of American Express) to authenticate the new device, however users with balances from iTunes Store Gift Cards aren't required to perform any special authentication other than entering their AppleID password.

Article Link: Apple Sending Confirmation Emails To Combat App Purchase Fraud

Last edited by a moderator:

rckstwrz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has begun sending emails when AppleID's are used to make purchases on iOS devices not previously associated with the account. It is likely these emails are being used as one way to combat increasingly frequent app purchase fraud.

MacRumors reader Michael after he had his iPhone replaced at an Apple Retail Store. After the first App Store purchase on the replaced phone, he received the above email. The email doesn't require confirmation of the purchase, but is instead a simple notification that a new device has been used and requests the user change their password if they don't recognize the activity.

Apple already requires credit card users to reenter the 3 or 4 digit CID number from the back of their credit card (front in the case of American Express) to authenticate the new device, however users with balances from iTunes Store Gift Cards aren't required to perform any special authentication other than entering their AppleID password.

Article Link: Apple Sending Confirmation Emails To Combat App Purchase Fraud

I got one of these emails when my iPad was swapped a few weeks ago.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Did the user print out the e-mail, scribble marker over their name and Apple ID, scan the paper and upload it? LOL :eek:

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I got one of these as well when I switched to a new MacBook Air laptop from my MBP. I didn't even know it was something new. I figured it was always sent when you used a new device.

zama36

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

True for Mac App Store too.

After Apple Care repair that included motherboard replacement, I got one of these emails following a purchase of Lion.

SamTheGeek

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
This just helped me immensely

I had my account hacked (a very old email account was compromised, and used to access the password recovery function).
As soon as I got the email, I knew something was up. My iTunes credit was drained (I participated in the gift card promotion for education this summer).

The CVV code entry is easily bypassed, if someone has the account password - all an attacker needs to do is remove the credit card. When the card information is removed, there is no barrier to the confirmation of the account on a new device. (No CVV needs to be entered) Of course, this is only worthwhile if you have iTunes credit on your account, but if you do, an attacker can buy apps with your account freely.

As a side note, it seems that Apple's been rolling this out - my email was for modification of the account info. Perhaps it's only done when a new device is activated without the CVV code, or when a potential attack vector is recognized.

Happy ending, though, Apple refunded all of the iTunes credit.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
I got one of these emails a few weeks ago when I got my iPad. I wonder how long they've been sending them.

andrewlgm

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2011
NYC
Does anybody know if it's possible to transfer your purchase history and account into a new username?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I replaced my iPhone 4 five weeks ago and never got this msg.

arn

It may have something to do with whether you register your replacement phone when you plug it into iTunes for the first time. If you register the phone, Apple knows it belongs to you (and your Apple ID).

I received a replacement phone a few days ago, but chose "register later" when I plugged it into iTunes. I then bought an app, and received one of these emails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.