Apple Sending iWork for iCloud Beta Invites to Non-Developers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After introducing iWork for iCloud during its Worldwide Developers Conference and sending invites to registered developers soon after, Apple has begun inviting normal users to test the software according to a number of MacRumors tipsters.

The following invitation is being sent out to users who have been accepted into the iWork for iCloud beta:

[​IMG]
    iWork for iCloud offers in-browser versions of Apple's iWork software suite, including Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. The software can be accessed from both PC and Mac computers as well as a number of mobile devices. It is expected to be released to the public later this year.

Thanks to Jason and the other tipsters!

Article Link: Apple Sending iWork for iCloud Beta Invites to Non-Developers

2. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Wow a screenshot of Windows from Apple and it's an up to date version? I remember they used to use screens of XP well into Windows 7's release.

3. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Gone are the days of having to pay the Apple tax just to make a pretty pigment presentation!

I remember when I used XP well into Window 7's release.

4. macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Seems like nearly anybody can get in. I wasn't sent an invite but can easily access it via beta.icloud.com.

5. macrumors regular

luisito

Does anyone know if this will be brand new release? or will it be the old '09 version?

6. macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I didn't get an email, but It shows up in iCloud for me. Pretty cool IMO!

7. macrumors regular

I can't :mad: lol

8. macrumors 6502a

Yup, works for me. These online apps though aren't collaborative, like Google Spreadsheets and Docs. That would a great feature to add in the future, though, I wonder how many people would actually use it. Apple catching up to Google in that space seems...difficult.

9. macrumors 6502

That PC seems to have a very high res screen... I mean, compared to the MBA...

10. RKO
    macrumors 6502

RKO

Same here. :)

11. Guest

Feels great to just spend $60 on iWork when its going to be free.

:)

12. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Thanks for this tip. I'm in. It is amazing what Apple has been able to do in the browser.

13. macrumors newbie

Top1Dog525

You will get yours eventually. My boss got his three weeks ago and I just got mine today. I think that they are sending the invites out in groupings over time; probably to keep from having millions of people flooding their system at once to use their new abilities.

14. macrumors 601

talmy

Shows for me but says "coming soon". Even if it worked I doubt I'd use it since turning on iCloud for documents cripples local document storage.

15. macrumors 65816

autrefois

I can't either. I'm really looking forward to see what Apple has come up with for this and giving it a try.

16. macrumors G4

I've been on the beta test for some number of weeks now. It works well enough but I never find a real use for it. What's the point if you have a Mac you can run iWork native on the Mac. This is great if you are on a PC, or were seriously broke and could not afford Pages and Numbers. But if you own a Mac I don't see the point.

One serious flaw is that all the Mac features are not supported so if you open a Mac iWork document in the on-line version you get asked if you want to make a copy with the format features removed. You click "yes" and go. But now how to save your edits back to the "real" document? For this to work all version must be 100% identical.

The on-line version can't have every font you own on the Mac either. So if you open a document using the online editor and it uses some font that is not on-line it should offer a kind of substitution

17. macrumors 6502a

Works for me. Looks nice. I'm a longtime .Mac and MobileMe subscriber. Maybe that affects selection for beta?

18. macrumors 6502a

Got me excited for a second. I thought the Blackbook was back!

19. macrumors 6502

Not true.

I have it within my AppleID.

Logged in from the same computer in the same web browser using my wife's account and she does not have it.

20. macrumors regular

luisito

Nope. I don't have it.

21. kds1, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

macrumors 6502a

True, you don't need to go to beta.icloud.com, I have it at icloud.com. Just checked. However, not everyone may have access yet.

22. macrumors G5

nagromme

Speaking as a web developer, I'm hugely impressed by this.

(I'm tempted to use it to make Keynote presentations for my work--which would be quite a deal, since I never bought standalone Keynote.)

23. macrumors regular

Seems cool. Played with it for a bit. It will be nice to be able to work on iCloud documents on PCs. Wonder what they will do with it in the next few years.

24. macrumors 6502

25. macrumors 6502

johncrab

I have been working with it this afternoon. It accesses all of my stored cloud files and I'm impressed. I actually forgot I was working in a browser window. Some Pages documents are still a bit rough but creating a new doc is a snap. Keynote is fantastic already. They're really on to something here.