Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I have been working with it this afternoon. It accesses all of my stored cloud files and I'm impressed. I actually forgot I was working in a browser window. Some Pages documents are still a bit rough but creating a new doc is a snap. Keynote is fantastic already. They're really on to something here.

Great! Wish it worked for me though :(

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
It would be really great to be able to play keynote presentations for class on the lecture hall pc rather than having to hook up my Mac.

This might not work, however, if some of the transitions and fonts aren't the same.

Will have to check it out once it becomes active for me.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
It would be really great to be able to play keynote presentations for class on the lecture hall pc rather than having to hook up my Mac.

This might not work, however, if some of the transitions and fonts aren't the same.

Will have to check it out once it becomes active for me.

Yea agreed. Altho I do use powerpoint on my mac but I hope the formatting is the same.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Woo! After messing around I got it.

I first went to iCloud.com, signed in, nothing was there. I then went to beta.iCloud.com, signed in, nothing was there, I then waiting 5 minutes or so and then went back and signed in to iCloud.com and the beta was there!

Its a bit different looking than iWork on Mac OS and some features (like chart editing in Numbers) isn't ready yet but it looks pretty sweet.

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Yup, works for me. These online apps though aren't collaborative, like Google Spreadsheets and Docs. That would a great feature to add in the future, though, I wonder how many people would actually use it. Apple catching up to Google in that space seems...difficult.

Didn't they have this feature in the "old" iWork.com beta that ended a few years ago?

In this new version, people will probably need an AppleID to participate (?).

I also hope this is coming back, very important for business and edu use...

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
email invite

I got the iWork in the Cloud and Mavericks customer seed email. Wonder why?

RicD

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
USA
Feels great to just spend $60 on iWork when its going to be free.

:)

Do not worry about the $60. At present this beta of iWork is not close to being ready for prime-time. From the day iWork for Mac and iOS became available I have been using it; well worth the money.

Beta Numbers: cannot copy native Numbers files to it. You can copy paste from a Numbers file to Beta but it only brought over data, not formatting and formulae. Cannot lock cells nor sheet.

Beta Pages: cannot see the invisibles, nor layout. Many other issues as well.

Inspector for all three Beta programs is not close to the Inspector in the standalone programs.

We know it is Beta and accept them as such. Still they are not ready for work be that in business nor at home; too many missing features. I am quite pleased I have the standalone on my MBP and iPhone.

wws

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2012
It shows up in icloud.com for me on the "home screen", but when I click it it displays "Coming soon: Pages/Numbers/Keynote for iCloud Beta. Create and edit beautiful presentations/spreadsheets/documents right in your browser on Mac or PC. There is a blue button marked "Get Pages" underneath the message. If I click that, it opens the Mac App Store page for the respective app.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Wow. I am impressed so far. I have been playing with Pages going back and forth from my Mac, to iCloud, iPad and then iPhone. Syncing is impeccable so far. And with dictation mode on my iPhone, Pages is really usable this way for me.

I am guessing it will just be more of the same for Keynote and Numbers. Good job Apple!!!!!!!!!!!

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I've been on the beta test for some number of weeks now. It works well enough but I never find a real use for it. What's the point if you have a Mac you can run iWork native on the Mac. This is great if you are on a PC, or were seriously broke and could not afford Pages and Numbers. But if you own a Mac I don't see the point.

One serious flaw is that all the Mac features are not supported so if you open a Mac iWork document in the on-line version you get asked if you want to make a copy with the format features removed. You click "yes" and go. But now how to save your edits back to the "real" document? For this to work all version must be 100% identical.

The on-line version can't have every font you own on the Mac either. So if you open a document using the online editor and it uses some font that is not on-line it should offer a kind of substitution
I travel a lot without my laptop. This will be great for me. Now I can access my current iWork stuff this way. This is years ahead of the last iWork iCloud beta or was that on mobile me? Anyway. Super so far.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Really hoping Apple surprises us all this fall and makes iWork editable by a group on iCloud. But for now, this is real progress.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
I got that email. This really isn't available to everyone??? Why would they choose me? I guess I may have been signed up to some iWork or iCloud beta thing a long time ago :cool:

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I know it is a beta but...

I know it is a beta, but it can't do half the things google docs can. I use tables a lot, and I can't edit anything in a table. Basically, it looks more like TextEdit than Pages.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
nice but i don't trust my files on server .. just give us a free bundle iwork with macs ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.