Apple Sends Out Refund Information to Australian iPad Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 4, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has started sending out emails to Australian customers who may have been misled about the advertised "4G" capabilities of the new iPad.

Apple explains in the email that the new iPad is not compatible with Australian LTE or WiMAX networks, but does support "fast cellular networks" such as HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSDPA

[​IMG]

The offer for returns is a response to complaints by Australian regulators that Apple's use of the term "4G" in its Australian marketing may have misled some customers into thinking that the new iPad would work on Australian LTE/WiMAX networks.

Apple is allowing Australians who purchased the new iPad before March 28th to return it for a full refund.

Article Link: Apple Sends Out Refund Information to Australian iPad Customers

2. macrumors newbie

I'd really like to see how many people actually return it. I don't think it's a big deal.

3. macrumors regular

Pleeeeaassseee.. We all know none of them Aussies will return their iPads.

4. macrumors 6502a

And who is going to pay for my sadness? :(

5. macrumors G3

Renzatic

Yup. Sure, having LTE misrepresented was kind of ****house, but going through all that trouble just to return a product that otherwise works is good and well bloody hard yakka. I've got better things to do this arvo.

Still think they're a bunch of dags, though.

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

That’s my first reaction too; I’d be disappointed, but I certainly wouldn’t want something else instead of my iPad!

But there IS something else they might well want instead, if HSPA isn’t fast enough to be useful: they might want a cheaper WiFi model iPad.

7. macrumors 65816

kalsta

A good outcome. Consumers are informed, and can make the choice based on correct information.

Exactly!

Onya! ;)

8. macrumors 68000

Honesty is the best policy

9. macrumors regular

Exactly.

10. macrumors 68020

ipedro

Apple should also send out an apology on behalf of Canadian telco's who do not allow you to buy prepaid LTE via the iPad. There was no warning that in Canada, you are forced to submit to a credit check and call or visit a service provider store to subscribe to a monthly plan. LTE is also turned off by default on Rogers plans so you must explicitly request that LTE be turned on or you'll only get 3G speeds.

11. macrumors 68040

Probably your parents.

:D

12. macrumors member

BuffyzDead

13. macrumors 601

Plutonius

The iPad 4G will work in Canada and the problem is with the Canadian Telcos.
    It sounds like the Canadian telcos should do the apologizing.

14. macrumors 6502

gpsouza

Apple doesn't give a ******* about non-north-america customers... This is starting to get me sad.

15. macrumors 6502a

koruki

reminds of me of the iphone 4 song, "if you dont like it.. bring it back... bring it back... .. bring it back .. *whispers* but you know you wont"

16. macrumors regular

I've said it once and I'll say it again....BUNCH OF CRYING SISSIES!! Give them a pacifier while they wait for their refund!!!!

17. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Why the heck didn't Apple make it an LTE world compatible radio? It's kind of silly to leave out markets like that!

18. macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

That sounds fair

19. macrumors member

I think that line is enough to say no1 will return their ipads. Had it been a responce to customer complains then that would be a different story

20. macrumors newbie

Even without LTE @ 1800 MHz being supported, Australia's leading network still does pretty well with 3G.

Downstream: 22.90 Mbps
    Upstream: 3.61 Mbps
    Ping: 132 ms

Speed test:
    [​IMG]

21. macrumors 65816

wackymacky

It isn't about that it wasn't 4G, it is that the adverts were "misleading"

really it is just about laziness not havming more region specific specs on various sites.

Apple should be told to sharpen up on this.

22. macrumors G3

All undamaged new iPads purchased on or before March 28, 2012 can be returned for a full refund anyway.

23. macrumors member

We will get more responses on this thread that there will be iPad returns in Aus.

Telstra - Could not have said it better myself. I also get around 18-21Mbps at various locations around Adelaide.

BUT, having said that, I agree with what has happened, you cannot advertise like that, even if un-intentional, it had to be corrected and has, All good. Now we can all say 'yeah thats justice' and keep our iPads.

24. macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm sure not returning mine. I love the thing despite not being 4G

25. macrumors newbie

I think the important thing here isn't that people will return their iPads for a refund, it's that Apple (or any other company) should NEVER advertise a product as having features when it will not work with the systems available in that market. Fine, say it's 4G capable within North America, and make it very clear that this is the case, but don't sell a product as being 4G in other markets without making it obvious that it won't work anywhere but North America.

If a company advertised and sold a product in USA without making it very clear it wouldn't work in that market could you imagine the whinging we'd hear then!?

I bought my iPad knowing what I was buying (and we don't have LTE here in New Zealand) but the lack of clarity is designed to confuse and drive sales which is very wrong.