Apple September 7th Media Event [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.
    Apple's Media event kicks off at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern. Live coverage appears to be provided at:

MacWorld.com
    iLounge.com
    Engadget

Early event photos here from iLounge.

Motorola and Apple Launch ROKR iTunes Phone.
    Motorola and Apple today announced the availability of the world's first mobile phone with iTunes, enabling music lovers to transfer up to 100 of their favorite songs from the iTunes jukebox on their Mac or PC to their mobile phone.

The new Motorola ROKR (pronounced "Rocker") is available in the following markets:
    - U.S. - today, exclusively with Cingular
    - U.K. - expected to be available first with Carphone Warehouse in mid-September and with O2, Orange, Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile and other top retailers by late September

The Motorola ROKR features a color display for viewing album art, dual built-in stereo speakers and stereo headphones that also serve as a mobile headset with microphone. Music fans can randomly autofill or manually fill the mobile phone with playlists of their favorite music, audiobooks and Podcasts from their iTunes library via a USB connection. The Motorola ROKR pauses music automatically when users take a call and offers the ability to listen to music while checking messages or snapping a photo

Updates:

- iTunes 5 announced. Same display, but cleaned up. Search bar. Smart Shuffle feature. Can now organize playlists into folders. Available today from Apple's website. Windows users can sync contact and calendar info with Outlook and Outlook express. Parental controls to restrict songs with explicit lyrics. Album reviews.
    - Photo from stage of the new phone: Phone Photo
    - Motorola Rokr can only hold about 100 songs. "The way we think of this phone is, it's really an iPod shuffle on your phone" - Jobs.
    - Cingular has updated their website with photos and information on the new iTunes Phone. $249.99 with a 2year contract.
    - iPod nano - Replacing the iPod mini with the iPod nano: "an entirely new ground-up design, that also has 1000 songs in your pocket." The white device features a color display and can support photos, uses a grey click wheel to navigate, and is 80 percent smaller in volume than the original iPod -- thinner than a number two pencil, said Jobs. The iPod nano weighs 1.5 ounces or 42 grams". Photo.

Article Link: Apple September 7th Media Event [Updated]

2. macrumors 604

Lacero

Any early predictions?

iTMS mobile phone with OSX lite pre-installed.

Flash mini

iTMS with downloadable music videos into iPods

3. macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Excellent. Live coverage always makes a work day easier. :)

4. macrumors 68020

Certain:
    iPhone
    Flash Mac Mini

Very possible:
    iTMS subscription service...
    iPhone contracts with iTMS subscription included...

Feasible:
    Video iPod
    Airport Express AV

5. macrumors regular

Here's hoping we'll finally get QuickTime 7 for Windows.

6. macrumors member

bubbalwz

Live coverage?... macworld doesn't appear to be very live, and iLounge doesn't look to even be alive.

7. macrumors regular

where on macworld?

can someone link me to the macworld live coverage? I cant seem to find it...

8. macrumors 604

Lacero

where's iGary? he should have posted some snarky comment by now.

9. macrumors 65816

m-dogg

d'oh! I thought this was at 12 eastern. my conference call ended and I checked MR to see what's new, but I guess I'll have to wait some more...

please be something more than the itunes phone...please...

10. macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Well considering that this is a big event. I'd like to see live coverage from Apple. Anyway, it looks like the sites which are providing coverage are already overloaded so I won't be trying to stay up to the minute, I'll just wait 6 hours for all the hype to die away and just go to apple.com later. Bye.

11. macrumors 65816

m-dogg

a flash mac mini? whoa!

12. macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

All I know is that I'm buying a new iPod when they update the iPod line (not the mini, not the shuffle).
    As for the supposed upcoming phone, if that's what is released, I'll reserve judgement until I can see one up close.

13. macrumors newbie

why itunes phone is special: streaming songs and podcasts from itunes library

Has anyone mentioned or considered that these phones may connect to iTunes over the internet and access the entire library from the phone? The flash memory would just be needed to buffer playlists. The RAZR is a 3G phone, and if the networks want to promote their new EV-DO and EDGE networks they might be willing to carry the phone. Actually, only one would need to, they would hope for Apple fanboys to hop over to their voice and data services. All it would take is a update to iTunes, some router port forwarding (maybe), and smart integration of the IP stack, audio decoder, and headset/speaker circuits inside the phone. Sign me up.

14. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Flash Mac Mini :confused:

15. macrumors 601

Diatribe

As I have just written in another thread, German and UK stores are down. US store is usually the last, so should be soon too.

16. macrumors 68020

17. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I really hope that its not just the moto phone. If it is this is going to be a huge bust seeing that they canceled the keynote in Paris.

18. macrumors 601

Diatribe

19. macrumors 601

Diatribe

Press release from Moto:

20. macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I like the idea of posting the thread before there is any real info then updating it when it comes up. I think I can already feel the distortion field taking effect :).

21. macrumors member

Apple Store's closed for a refurb

The Dutch one is at least. Must be making room for the new extra wide price tags.

22. macrumors 68020

Seeing as the STORES are being updated, it has to be more than a phone doesnt it? BEcause I thought the service providers will be selling the phones, and not Apple itself direct....

23. macrumors 68000

MacSA

UK Apple Store is down now..... ohhh exciting hehe

24. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

oh my god, oh my god, it's a motorola phone! Holy hell, it's exactly what was the logical thing to be released! Here I thought they were going to introduce the iFlux-Capacitor and we could all time travel :(

25. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

They put out the press release before the event? Someone always stuffs up.