Apple service is TERRIBLE!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chosenwolf, Sep 13, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I need to vent...

I sent my 17" Macbook Pro for repair LAST MONTH for a sleep issue that would make the notebook freeze and the only way to restore it would be do to a reset, causing any files not saved to be lost.

Today, I get a call from the local Apple Store saying they received the notebook (after a month of repair work) and the problem has increased in magnitude. Yes, now it has trouble powering up. How the HELL do you ship a computer back from repair back w/o fully inspecting it? The tech that was working on it must have been on some serious stuff. They replaced the logic board, casing, etc. and they wanted me to give them permission to send it back for another repair. Are you kidding me? Another month without my notebook and unsure if they will fix it again? I wasn't going to settle for that so I got on the phone and they immediatly offered me a replacement.

So now they are sending me another brand new 17" MBP. I don't even want to open the damn box because I will be VERY angry if it has any issues. Sigh... and they say PC's have software problems? Fix your hardware problems and have a little more quality control over your products before you decide to make those silly commercials.

Sigh :mad:

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well if every Mac had problems, Apple wouldn't be in business. You were just unlucky.

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

They are probably still in business because 3% of the market has no other alternatives :rolleyes:

4. belluaire macrumors newbie

Absolutely agree, Apple Customer Service attitude is shocking

Do read my post this morning, I've bought a MacBook Pro 17" 2.16GHZ and a MacBook 2Ghz plus ancillary equipment and software to the value of £4000, im my desperation I've posted requests on another Mac Forum to try and obtain Steve Jobs e mail address having e mailed Mark Rogers MD of Apple Uk and Pascal Cagni. These gentlemen then referred me to a charmless agressive Irish lady in the Executive office who told me that any e mail to Steve Jobs would be answered by her !
    I've just cancelled an order to buy a 24 " Imac, these people need to be exposed as soon as possible, I've already spoken to Mac User and I Create magazines who are not in the least surprised by my experiencehttp://forums.macrumors.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

What post?

So you are throwing a hissy fit because you demanded to speak with Steve Jobs and weren't allowed to? Did you also try and call Bill Gates? Or President Bush while you are at it?

sjobs@mac.com

The only loss here is your loss. You know you want that 24" iMac . . .

Why were you trying to get in "contact" with him in the first place?

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

Good on you! Perhaps "Think Different" means treating customers like shitte!

Do you still happen to have a copy of that Irish woman's reply? I am sure many here are curious to read!

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

Oh, so people who produces what other people want deserves to act like ass and treat their customers like crap?

8. JAT macrumors 603

My god, I hope you people don't have cable TV.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

you must have had some awful experiences to be so bitter. It's unfortunate but it doesn't mean that the rest of the world is having such a hard time with their purchases.

10. logic pro macrumors member

logic pro

hi i agree, the whole reason why allot of people have not been aware of the abuse on Apple's part is partially due to there hiring so many employees in agreement to support there reputation on forums while some morons voluntarily do out of belief its right Apple walks all over there own policies trampling on there customers.

If you posted at the Apple discussion forums forget it, ERASED if not buried in bias posts.

Here are some things that happened to me when dealing with Apple in Ireland from Spain.,

I had to order a 17" hi res MBP last year in late July 2007 from a store in Spain, no one stocks these, and i had to wait 3 weeks for it., when i got it, i take it home and find out it was not a 1920x1200 and the internal drive was not a 250GB as requested and paid for, i called Apple (you have to pay for the call in Spain) its free in much richer countries like Germany, England and France but not Spain., anyway i realized it was the store's fault and agreed with Apple to return it, i mean why pay the extra 350€ for nothing., so i return it for the right one, after 30 minutes of people trying to talk me into buying a 17 inch in he store and then paying even more to send it to Apple to do it i finally convinced the store to please fullfill there promises or return all the money., then i find out i was not to see the computer until September, in August the store would be closed for a month!

When it arrived in September i totally inspected it to be sure it was a hi res screen, even said it on the box., then i took it home to only realize then that the power supply was a 45 watt instead of 85 watt and called Apple., they took the information down and sent a power supply to replace it, they where very kind and help full, in fact i was impressed i told the guy, and i purchased Apple care for both a macbook and iMac here as well., but after hanging up i checked the computer more to discover that they forgot to install a 250GB HD., so again i returned the computer to get this done ASAP., they did it for me in a few days at the store with there own techs now who i never met etc.

Since then the only problems i ever had with this MacBook Pro 17 inch was:
    1- That the screen would drop when tilted and close, i fixed that with some tools i ordered, and
    2- My keys all faded from normal use (not abuse)...you can take a look at the pictures attached here for yourselves, Apple agrees to replace them but did a fast one on me when i called yesterday.

I called, was asked when i purchased this computer, i said i called about a power supply for this computer before and asked if she can see and she said no and that they do not know the date it was purchased, so i told her i got a receipt made by the store later for i ordered it and waited a while for it to be configured and so the store made a receipt showing i paid for it AFTER they got it all right, she then asks me to send it to her and i said gladly via email.

After all this i get this email below:
    So now i sent them a email asking what date they have after i spoke to the store who likes to know themselves.

this is one scenario with apple when it comes to servicing there computers, i had a mac mini that died a month prior to a year warranty ended and they dragged out accepting to fix it until it expired and they dumped all that on me as if i was responsible for sitting around spending 60€ of phone calls from Spain, NO FREE NUMBER FOR APPLE HERE GUYS, poor countries have to pay incase you have not noticed there policies.

And on the macbook, i got the apple care also a month before it's one year warranty was ended, i take it to get to a AASC with a case number and all to fix a fan noise problem since nothing was possible on the phone with Apple Care, and when i get to the local tech he tells me to look at his iMac, when i did my Apple care number said that the computer was out of warranty BEFORE the date i purchased my Apple care, i then called Apple to sort that out, took a week and finally i heard they resolved it and i can take the computer to the shop., they had a story but i said to myself that they seem to like waiting on the phone when PEOPLE pay for the calls.

I can go on, in my email today i asked them to provide the date of purchase if they obviously ignore the story with the store, even said that if Apple has the right to stick with the order date of this computer since THEY configured it and sent it to a store, then it was in July 25th! and should still be covered, but why do they insist to buy more time and do ANYTHING TO AVOID RESPONSABILITY for there computers like all manufactures do who are insured?

I SAY THIS IS PURE GREED friends!!, no other companies get away with this why should apple, we also do not see all there class actions against them, if people knew maybe apple would server there customers better, 3000€ for a computer is not exactly lollypop money when they pieced it together in china for a fraction of that and focused on ideas to market there products more then there hidden responsibilities they fail to keep as promises in there agreements., to dispute this is total hypocrisy and greed, if i was wrong i have no problem admitting it and i have in the past, Apple on the other hand trains there people to be SNEEKY.

Attached Files:

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So how did you fix this screen "issue"?

12. logic pro macrumors member

logic pro

you get a screw driver, just unscrew and re screw the little screws all around the body, like just tighten them gently with the screen open., i can lower my screen now till it is a mm before closed with out it slamming shut like it used to on my fingers before :)

The kit i ordered came with some funny liquid, i never needed to apply anything fancy and the screws method fixes the problem period, i say it came back maybe 2 times in the last 7 months.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I did that's did fix a thin. This is one the 17" with the counter-balance hinge?

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm you guys are really unlucky. I have to say my experience with Apple Store Geniuses has been for the most part pretty good.

15. f1 macrumors 6502

They sent you a new Macbook Pro, if your still not happy send it back and demand a refund or sell you new Macbook Pro and buy yourself a PC.

16. ra noodle Guest

logic pro

really lousy what you went through....i wouldnt have had the patience with that...but the same thing happened with my MBP15 keys....they all began to "rub off" like your picture...I at first thought it was just finger crap building up and tried alcohol to wash it off [no it wasnt vodka] and then like a dummy tried lacquer thinner which took all the paint off--that's what these keys are= sprayed plastic-i thought they were stamped aluminum with plastic insert...but eventually there were other issues and the store i went to fixed all this....it really comes down to the store, some are super great and some are !@#$$%^ like your stories seem to have been about....i'm thinking of getting one of those covers for the keyboard yet i wonder about the heat issue- it does build up.

BUT YOUR DAMN RIGHT ABOUT THESE COMPUTERS COSTING VERY LITTLE TO MANUFACTURE COMPARED TO WHAT WE PAY THERES NO REASON THEY CANT GO BACK TO 'THROWING IN' CORDS AND OR EARPHONES ETC....

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

First of all. Holy thread resurrection of an old thread.

What you claimed is highly unlikely, at least in the US.

Apple in all cases promise the same day when called, to send out a box for warranty repairs. Apple does NOT drag anything out for a month.

As to keys, if you actually own a MBP, you would know something else is more likely to happen than the keys fading out. No I won't tell you what it is, but it's obvious to anyone who uses with PowerBooks or MBPs regularly.

FACT
    - Apple has the highest satisfaction of the large computer makers.
    - Apple has been gaining market share year over year.

Those are some reasons why Apple's stock is near record high even despite the overall decline of the stock market.

18. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Only in USA. In other parts of the world, people are less lucky. In most places, they only have resellers, not Apple Stores. So for people in these countries, getting their mac repaired means sending them to the reseller who then resend the hardware to an appointed service provider (locally or overseas/whatever). All these take time! When information get passed on from the customer ---> reseller ----> service provider, sometimes it gets mistranslated/misinterpreted and that's where mistakes happen. So who's gonna suffer in the end? The customers of course.

Get some feedbacks from the mac owners in Malaysia, and ask them how they feel about Apple's repair service there. It's not uncommon to have macs get sent and repaired for at least a month. The long repair time coupled by the lack of customer service from the resellers make the entire repairing experience a nightmare.

Apple has yet to make a real presence in Malaysia and Singapore (Singapore is better as in Apple has an online store and a physical office building (where they issue out all the online orders) in Singapore, but no retail stores, only authorized retailers and service provider).

Now you know.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Re: Ra Noodle,
    Looks like you think Apple' service is as bad as OWC's service?
    Think about why your OWC thread is locked down. Perhaps user error?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=453932

Using paint thinner on computer parts? :rolleyes:
    User error.

20. danny_w macrumors 601

I have never had anything but good experiences with Apple repairs. I bought a used PowerBook a few years ago and they replaced both the battery and logic board for free with no questions asked (I did check that both repairs were covered before buying it, however). I also took back an iPhone on a Monday that I had bought the previous Friday that showed the "No SIM Installed" error and they promptly gave me a new iPhone.

21. logic pro macrumors member

logic pro

I also got a powerbook once in Paris France, i found out after returning to NY that it was refurbished, upon returning to france to work again in a studio i took it to the store, i was so lucky that they had a 15 day return policy and that i only had to be in NY for one week that the store replaced it.

A year before this incident Apple sent Fed Ex to our doors, picked up any powerbook and within a week replaced it fixed, once even the whole powerbook.

But i have to say now that i am concluding to bad service mostly been outside the US., if i could i would post mp3s of conversations with apple when i call, you guys would not believe how bad they are in europe., you have to calla 902 number in spain, costs like 60 cents a minute!

22. PDE macrumors 68020

Facts:

Apple often messes up repairs.
    Apple often take a long time to repair, especially if they don't have a particular part in stock, which happens too often.
    Apple consistently outputs defective products (mainly component defects rather assemply) and has poor quality control.
    To suggest that the OP is making up his story is silly.
    I would hypothesize that the reason for low satisfaction ratings on many of the other manufacturers has mainly to do with Windows, and not hardware.

I've had so many macbook pros since they were introduced that I can't remember, but I'm probably at close to 20 at this point. Not one of them was without some issue - most with the the screens, but all sorts of other smaller and larger issues too. Apple dealt with it very well, but it's taken many many hours of my time and caused a lot of frustration. Would I recommend them still? Yes, but only because the software and my knowledge that most people don't notice things like uneven illumination, graininess of the screen, case defects, trackpad button weirdnesses, popping sounds from the speakers, warped display bezels etc....

And I'm invested in Apple through software and hardware - if there were an equal OS out there, I'd switch to other hardware in a heartbeat.

Now, there is also a HUGE difference in Apple's support in Europe. The European Apple is pathetic in comparison and I could believe almost any bad story about support there. My experience in Hong Kong and Taiwan with Apple support has not been great either. In the U.S. at least Apple customer service is quite good, so that when the hardware needs repair they deal with it professionally.

23. logic pro macrumors member

logic pro

don't know what you mean, the MBP i have is only 9 months old., 2.4 GHz

Maybe one more model or 2 came out since, i believe 1.

if you can prove to spend allot of time on forums you can also get a ipod nano if you make them smell like roses, bribery still works!

24. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

To add to my point, true enough perhaps Apple's customer service is much better in the states, and that's understandable. USA has the single largest mac users in the world, and Apple's from USA. Apple's single and largest revenue comes from its local market so it's not unusual for it to offer the best customer service in the states. The American are blessed by the close proximity factor and therefore having a good customer service is imperative and must be undeniable.

However that said, if Apple is to expand its reach globally, efforts must be made in the customer service department, and making sure their knowledge base is effectively passed on to these markets. Penetrating a market isn't just about offering your product in the market and how much $$ you make from these markets, but making sure your presence make an impact by instilling your corporate culture on these markets and allowing the local customers to receive the right customer service and the "Apple Culture" the moment someone steps inside a reseller store. Right now, most resellers are just like provisional stores selling an assortment of products, and mac just happened to be one of them. They just don't have the "Apple feel" like the stores in the states.

Apple's global reseller scheme just isn't cutting it at the moment, so is their Applecare elsewhere (Non-USA).

25. amoda macrumors 6502a

I've actually had plenty of good experiences with Apple support. Parts came in quickly (except for this one time it took 3 weeks to get a logic board in but they redeemed themselves by upgrading me from 2.2 128mb vram to 2.6 256mb vram) and repairs were done quickly.

Also right before I traveled (i'm currently in Egypt) by a couple of days my isight stopped working. Since there wouldn't be enough time to get a new screen in and do the replacement i would have to do it after i came back. Problem is that I go back home on August 10, my warranty ends August 8. I called them, explained the situation, and they put a note in their system so when I go back I have a display waiting for me even though i'm out of the warranty period.

Never paid a dime for a phone call.