Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Although my other iMac broke and I and my wife had to bring it in twice, Apple technicians did a good job and replaced both the logic board and then the power supply. I´m very happy with their professional and friendly service and I wanted to let you know since I have been complaining so much over my Macs.

The funny part is that the technician that fixed our Macs appearently doesn´t like Macs much or their durability and said that extensive repairs like this are quite common.

I´m no expert, but I think that too much heat is killing these computers far too soon and I suspect that has more to do with Apple´s marketing than lack of knowledge on how to build computers. Just look at the MBPs, most of them are running too hot, exactly like both my iMacs.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I think it has a lot to do with the language barrier in manufacturing in foreign countries.

I NEVER had any issues with the good ole' USA built machines, and I never remember hearing so much about logic board and power supply replacements as we do these days. Apple's manufacturing simply is not what it used to be - in my opinion.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
EricChunky said:
wicked, your computer went burst within a year and has to hav its mobo replaced, and you are happy with it... :p
My first Mac mini broke pretty much immediately. The service I received from Apple saved what would have otherwise been a wholly negative experience and as a result I'm now much more comfortable that, should I have a problem in the future, Apple will sort it out :)

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
iGary said:
I think it has a lot to do with the language barrier in manufacturing in foreign countries.

I NEVER had any issues with the good ole' USA built machines, and I never remember hearing so much about logic board and power supply replacements as we do these days. Apple's manufacturing simply is not what it used to be - in my opinion.
This is interesting. I´m now doing a masters degree in manufacturing and technology so these issues are interested to me.

I don´t think this has something to do with the language barrier (although your guess is as good as mine) since e.g. Apple´s repair manual says that much thermal paste should be applied to the MBP, but good practice is to use just a little of high quality thermal paste like Artice silver 5 (which should cost about a dollar or less per laptop)

So, I think the computer selling companies don´t want the computers to last for some reasons. One reason could be that if they break, they will sell more computers in the coming years and this applies especially for Apple, since most Apple users won´t switch to PC even after getting burned by poor quality Mac hardware.

Then it is possible that computer makers don´t think it is worth it to have computers to last for long since we will be able to buy a 16 core computer within 2 years. Then it is possible that the manufacturers are cutting costs by choosing poor quality suppliers and so on.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
EricChunky said:
wicked, your computer went burst within a year and has to hav its mobo replaced, and you are happy with it... :p
Well, every computer can break and when it does you want good and reliable service, and that is what I got and I´m quite pleased with it.

However, I don´t think Apple is producing as good hardware as I would have liked, but I´m still open to buy a new Mac, like a Macbook with integrated grapics card, but I´m also open to a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.