Apple service $ucks!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mymemory, Jul 7, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ok, my new powerbook 12" had a problem with the hard drive. But to make the story short... I would have to send it to Apple and wait 10 days to get it back. They can not even check the drive at an Apple store here in NYC.

By the way, to back up the system and re install it from the back up is just not possible. I have to set all the preferences again and re isntall all the software. It was not like in OS9 that I was able to move everything from one drive to the other and still functional.

:confused:

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Most of the time there's a hardware issue they have to send it in to Apple, it's pretty common as I understand. Why can't you just copy your preference files and then copy them to your new drive? You can reinstall the software, and just put the preference files in the right folders.

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Carbon Copy Cloner!

4. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

most apple stores simply dont have the capacity to service items like that, whats the problem? although i dont agree with your whining, i agree, there are serious problems with apple customer service. the local apple store has great service, its the telemarketers who piss me off. i called the apple toll free line to inquire about a ibook once and in a completely rude tone of voice..."uhhhh, let me transfer you to tech *click*" ohh and the other times... wait, whats the character limit on posting?

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Apple's always been applauded for its great customer service, at least, I can rememeber reading about it in things such as Consumer Reports, etc. Has there been a sudden surge of crappy service? or has it always been this way?

6. U2Rules! macrumors member

I agree 100%. I've just purchased my first Apple computer 2 days ago, a 12 in. PB. Yesterday I called to ask about the "Cram and Jam" special that they are running and the guy I talked to had no idea what I was talking about??? He had to look it up online. Every question I asked, he answered, "No, no, sorry no, we can't, and no." Very helpful indeed! I've emailed twice with questions, no response yet after 48 hours. This powerbook better be the finest machine I've ever used or Apple just lost a potential long time customer.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

On the whole, Apple's customer service is very good. The 1% of people who get really screwed will laugh in my face at that comment.

I am really surprised that the sales rep didn't recognize the cram and jam special. Not knowing is bad customer service, not fudging a receipt to let you in on a special that started after your purchase is just business. :eek:

8. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I have an Apple VAR bout an hour from me that I would trust with my life. They have fixed all my problems quickly and freely(Applecare baby) Apple's phone support are the standard minimum wage phone support slaves you get with every company. I work in tech support myself and we have some pretty un-knowlegable people working here, like the guy who ganked ram from a live machine. Phone support at any company is usually suppar and I don't gauge the quality of the company from that. I have Dish Network and they have the standard sappy customer support, but when they actually get out the techs are usually pretty good.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

To be fair, I thought I'd present a rebuttal. I *also* bought a 12" PowerBook on Monday night (the day before the promotion) from my local Apple Store, and the staff there is more than willing to help me out. I just have to get there within the 14-day Return period. They will type into the computer that I returned my PB, and then I repurchased one. I dont' have to bring in my laptop, they will sell me an iPod and then, because both the computer and the iPod are on the same reciept I am eligible for the promotion.

You probably just spoke with someone who isn't comfortable in their position yet.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

This is why I wished all the "hidden" files at the root of the drive were but into /System/Boot files/ or /System/Library/Boot Files/ and release a firmware update for Mac computers to recognize this. That way you could move the folders to a new hdd and boot. Why they didn't do this is beyond me.