Apple Set to Launch Annual 'Back to School' Promotion, iPhone Included for First Time

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac reports that Apple is likely to launch its annual "Back to School" promotion in the United States and other countries this week, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. The program offers iTunes Store/App Store gift cards to students who purchase a Mac or iPad, and for the first time the program will also include iPhone purchases this year.
    MacRumors had heard over the weekend that Apple retail stores will be performing an "overnight" tonight to adjust signage and other aspects of store layouts. Our source indicated that tonight's changes are likely to be in support of the Back to School promotion, suggesting that it will indeed launch tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Apple runs the Back to School promotion at different times throughout the year in different countries to correspond to the various educational calendars, but the program launching this week will be the company's largest as it will likely include the United States, Canada, and Europe.

Article Link: Apple Set to Launch Annual 'Back to School' Promotion, iPhone Included for First Time

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors regular

and now we know when the next iphone is announced. The day after this ends...

5. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Now if Apple could just release their Haswell rMBPs, Mac Minis, and iMacs already :)

6. macrumors regular

litmag01

it would be nice if high school students were also included in this and the education pricing programs.

7. macrumors member

Ordered my new macbook air yesterday. I'm a student..

Does this mean I miss out? :(

8. macrumors 68020

keysofanxiety

Did you get a student discount? If so you won't be saving anything with this offer. :)

And if you didn't buy it with a student discount … why not? :confused:

9. macrumors newbie

Try to cancel your order if not already shipped..

10. macrumors member

Yeah I used a student discount, I figured they would give me the $100 gift card too :D

11. macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how this worked in past years? Do you go in an Apple store and present some sort of identification or proof of you being a student?

12. macrumors 68040

Watabou

Oh yeah! Now, come on Apple, release the damn Haswell rMBP

13. macrumors 6502a

Confused. Does this mean if you buy a Mac you can get $50 toward an iPhone? Or does this mean if you purchase an iPhone you get $50 towards the iTunes store?

14. macrumors member

mmberry1

This is ontop of the student discount.

15. macrumors 6502a

I wish it was as simple as that my friend.

16. macrumors member

mmberry1

They will

17. macrumors 6502

street.cory

Just the $100 Mac App Store gift card was kind of a bummer. In 2009 and prior It was worth it to wait for these promotions so you could get a $200 device for free along with student discount. I'd be pretty happy to see this type of promotion implemented again.

18. macrumors regular

So either new product gets announced along with the BTS, or everyone waits until after October? Sounds around right.

19. macrumors regular

iSteve-O

Good. Demand has been low for the iPhone and they need to maintain that market share.

20. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

Who knows what will happen this year until it's announced but in years past you get a student discount plus the promotion on top of that. So I would cancel your order and reorder if I were you. Or use the 14 day return (price match) to get the promo.

21. macrumors 68040

22. macrumors 6502a

I bought a MacBook Air last September after my HP crapped out less than 20 days into the semester. I used my student discount and got a $100 App Store gift card. I ordered online and was not asked for any proof that I was a student. I don't even think it asked for my .edu email address.

23. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

The way I've seen it in the past is present identification (not sure what they will require - student card, class schedule or something like that) in the store. Or click through apple.com store to the education part and select your school.

----------

Not necessarily. One year I'm pretty sure new iPods were announced toward the end of the summer and I got the promo with the new iPod. This was an exception to the rule though. Usually the new stuff comes out after the promo and before the holidays.

24. macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

25. macrumors newbie

This post just made my day! Thank you MacRumors! :D