Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

182516-dead_400.png

In typical Apple fashion, the iPhone SDK program and App Store application process has been clouded in some uncertainty about launch dates and details of the approval process. Today, Apple finally gave developers a firm deadline of July 7th as the last date they would be considered for inclusion on launch day of the App Store.
To ensure your application can be considered for the exciting launch of the App Store, submit your application by 12 PM PDT, on July 7, 2008. We will continue to accept applications after this time, however your application may not be available until after the launch of the App Store.
Of course, developers can continue to submit their applications beyond the deadline, but may not make the actual App Store launch. The App Store is expected to launch on July 11th, alongside the iPhone 3G.

The App Store is thought to be a huge opportunity amongst developers, and inclusion on the first day of launch would provide a significant amount of free publicity. Developers interested in additional coverage on launch day and beyond should contact us.

Article Link

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It does provide useful information that may indicate a less than 4 day approval process. Which, you'd think might be even less once the initial pile-on is over. That's not too bad if it's the case, I was worried about weeks or months long approvals.

ajbrehm

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2002
Zurich, Switzerland
They keep announcing the shop as if everyone had keys to sign their applications and could actually submit apps now.

There has been a total disconnect between Apple's announcements about the SDK and app store and what really happened.

I have been waiting for my key for months.

The few thousands developers who got a key presumably don't have to get their info from the Apple Web site.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
For people wondering 'why are people giving this a negative rating' wonder no more... You need only do the math... :(

250,000 the number of SDK downloads...
25,000 the number of developers who formally sign up
4,000 the number of happy developers Apple gave approvals to.
21,000 the number of 'mildly put off' developers

Dave

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Not that we can guess

But just to speculate...

How many applications do you think will be available at the launch?

25? 50? 500?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
They keep announcing the shop as if everyone had keys to sign their applications and could actually submit apps now.

Are you saying you didn't get approved and you STILL got this email from Apple?!?! I'd be shocked if you did... If I'm not mistaken that was only sent out the the 'lucky chosen ones'.... I know for a fact that I didn't get that email (nor would I have expected to).

Dave

nanoakron

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
Looking for programmer

Any potential iPhone programmers around London?

I have a genuinely interesting project and real money to back it up, I'd rather meet someone face to face than over an internet 'coder for rent' site.

If you might be interested, or want to hear more, email me at:

robertlearney@mac.com

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
It does provide useful information that may indicate a less than 4 day approval process. Which, you'd think might be even less once the initial pile-on is over. That's not too bad if it's the case, I was worried about weeks or months long approvals.

I have nothing to say about your post, I just wanted to say I really like your avatar. Is that what it's called? Anyway your picture it rocks, Bossanova rocks!!! Such great songs on that album, dig for fire, down to the well, hang wire, all over the world.....ok everyone of the songs on the albums rock!!!
:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Plus, I agree it does provide useful information (just so we dont get off topic too much :) )

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Cant wait to see what the App store brings! Bring it on programmers!

Oh yeah!! There has been so much hype as to the kind of apps that are coming. Especially with everyone saying the iPhone will allow real programs, and not just "phone apps". Should be good. Can't wait.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
But just to speculate... How many applications do you think will be available at the launch? 25? 50? 500?

If I had to guess... I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-100 or so... I would be shocked to see more than 100-200 on day one. Apple will likely bump the number of apps each day for the first week or so (to keep the interest going) and the store at the end of week 1 might have upwards of 300-400. (even that seems kinda high after only the first week)

Remember these apps are all going to come from just the 4,000 developers that they gave approvals to. Apple has another 21,000 developers (or more) still chomping at the bit for a 'key to the store' (as it were). Can you imagine the potential App count once they let the great-unwashed-masses (me included) into the system?!?!

It could potentially be nuts!

Dave

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
i am hoping for a chat app so i don't give away more money for sms.

Aren't we all. Though I wouldn't count on one. Maybe a barely-functioning Alpha demo, but until Apple unveils there super secret process handling widget devs won't be able to allow the sort of persistent connections that a Chat program requires. That is, without distributing via Installer.app.

Ryn01599

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Rohnert Park ,CA
iPhone Apps

I really think there will be more than 100 apps to choose from at launch. Think, Steve Jobs, "At launch we bring you more than 100 applications to download with thousands more to choose from down the road."

If there are more than 4,000 approved developers, don't you think there would be that many applications at some point, with many already approved at launch?

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
For people wondering 'why are people giving this a negative rating' wonder no more... You need only do the math... :(

250,000 the number of SDK downloads...
25,000 the number of developers who formally sign up
4,000 the number of happy developers Apple gave approvals to.
21,000 the number of 'mildly put off' developers

Dave

I dont know how they were screening people for approval, but I applied for the heck of it and got accepted. I have never developed an app in my life either.

B. Hunter

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2005
Pacific Northwest
More Apps

I don't think Apple would hype the App Store with only a few dozen apps on opening day. I mentioned before about 10 apps per category.
So its possible we will see around 100 or so on opening day.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I dont know how they were screening people for approval, but I applied for the heck of it and got accepted. I have never developed an app in my life either.

Errrr.... arrrrrghhhh.... mmmmmm.... **I OUGHTA** ..... mmmmmm.... arrrrrghhhh... Errrr....

All kidding (well sorta) aside... I never even thought that a person who has never even wrote a program would pony up $99 for basically nothing... Okay you got access to the beta firmwares but still basically nothing...

Wow...

So if Neo took a place away from a real developer who was actually going to submit a program (or more) to the App store I wonder how many others did as well... I'm not really blaming Neo (more so Apple) because how was he to know there would be such a low cutoff. The question remains how many other non-developers are grouped into that 4000 number? 2% 5% 10% more?!

That could drastically reduce the *quantity* and *quality* of the programs we will see come opening day... but since Apple seems content with still only allowing 4k under the tent then I guess they are quite happy with the offerings they've seen and know are on their way...

I still say the 'application process' was a complete and total joke and so far below Apple standards.. I have such a hard time believing they handled things this way... 'I joined on a whim... I've never written a program in my life' :shakes-head:

Dave

P.S. NeoMayhem please don't think I'm mad at you... its the process that really pissed me off...

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona

This makes me wonder what exactly does the screening process involve? Is it just filling out forms with your information? Describing an app idea? Providing some sample code? Forgive my ignorance with these questions, but I really have NO idea (I'm sure many here don't) and I'm quite curious -- especially when I hear that people who've never developed an app in their life get accepted, while more experienced people are still waiting...

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
This makes me wonder what exactly does the screening process involve? Is it just filling out forms with your information? Describing an app idea? Providing some sample code? Forgive my ignorance with these questions, but I really have NO idea (I'm sure many here don't) and I'm quite curious -- especially when I hear that people who've never developed an app in their life get accepted, while more experienced people are still waiting...

I only got to the "your reference # is 8954gf9tr4443 don't call us we'll call you" never even got a chance to plead my case... :(

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003

I dont remember exactly what was asked for, but I think it was just basic contact info. A few weeks later I got a email with a special link to add "iPhone Developer Program Standard" for $99 to my shopping cart on apple.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.