Apple Sets New High with 53.3% of U.S. Smartphone Market, Android Holds Strong in Europe

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last month, research firm Kantar Worldpanel reported that Apple had retaken the lead in U.S. smartphone sales from Android over the August-October timeframe, topping Android by a 48.1%-46.7% margin on the strength of the iPhone 5 launch.

At the time, the firm suggested that Apple's share would continue to rise as the 12-week window of sales data shifted to include the iPhone 5 for its entirety, predicting that Apple would set a record high for market share within the following two periods.

[​IMG]
    Kantar Worldpanel has now released its data for the September-November period, and Apple has indeed set a record high with 53.3% of the market. Apple's share is up dramatically from 35.8% in the same period last year, although the iPhone 4S did not launch until later in the corresponding timeframe.
    Apple continues to fare less well in Europe, where even with growth of 2.5 percentage points year-over-year to reach 25.3% of the market, Android has surged farther ahead with a 9.2 percentage point gain and now holds 61% of the market.

Among the markets tracked by Kantar Worldpanel, Apple's best performance was in the United States, while its worst performances were in Brazil, Australia, Spain, and Italy, all countries where it lost share over 2011.

Article Link: Apple Sets New High with 53.3% of U.S. Smartphone Market, Android Holds Strong in Europe

2. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors regular

Gained nearly 20% of the market share in the last year... Wow.

5. macrumors member

Blomkvist

Anyone reckon that Apple stock price will start to "rebound" now?

6. JAT
    macrumors 603

Meh. Statistics may not lie, but you sure can make them say whatever you damn well please.

7. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

What the heck is Bada and why is it even tracked?

8. macrumors 65816

The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.

9. camnchar, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

macrumors 6502

Good to see Apple back on top, no matter how briefly.

And these Apple-related posts are fine and good, but what I'm really missing are PATENT LAWSUIT STORIES

10. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

And in other news, Windows holds the lead over the Mac. :rolleyes:

Stories like this are so pathetic.

11. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What would you have liked to make them say? :)

12. macrumors member

CindyRed

It really is odd how the uniqueness of the iOS ecosystem makes it impossible to compare the iPhone with other phones on the market. It's not really competing against individual phone manufacturers, but software creators as well. So one can't simply say the iPhone beat out android or the iPhone beat out Samsung or HTC or Sony Ericson.

The only real comparison is up against Nokia and RIM, and let's face it, nobody needs to compete with those two anymore.

13. macrumors 6502a

I wonder what will be iOS marker share in the US when T- Mobile starts selling the iPhone?

14. macrumors 65816

Mike MA

15. macrumors 603

Oletros

My God, the US mobile market is totally different than the European an Asian ones

16. macrumors 6502a

They are doomed.
    To success.
    No matter how disappointing or crazily priced their products are.
    A 16GB iPhone 5 is 729€ here in Italy, and I bought a Galaxy Note 2 for 490€ today.
    No wonder they are losing share over here.

17. macrumors G5

He didn't suggest they should say anything different to appease him. He just said you can get statistics to say whatever you want.

18. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I would agree if it was simply reporting numbers that hadn't moved, but these aren't insignificant changes. There are ramifications to swings in the landscape either way.

More than anything, I think the numbers around RIM foretell a grim 2013 in Waterloo.

19. macrumors 65816

20. macrumors member

!

Holy crap Tim-man!

This is going to be AAPL's largest quarter ever - huge!

21. macrumors regular

22. macrumors regular

alfistas

LOL! a lot of people will be very upset with these news...

23. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Thank you for repeating him.

24. macrumors 6502a

blackburn

That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
    Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.

25. macrumors regular

alfistas

What? Are you not aware of Samsung's homegrown OS? They were planning to take over the world with it.

Samsung fans do not like to be reminded of this though so tread carefully...