Apple Settles Chinese 'iPad' Trademark Dispute with Proview for $60 Million

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 1, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Associated Press reports that Apple and Chinese company Proview Technology have reached a settlement deal that involves Apple paying $60 million for the rights to the "iPad" trademark in China.
    Proview began publicly objecting to Apple's use of the iPad name in late 2010, with the situation eventually escalating to see Proview demanding bans on iPad sales in the country and up to $2 billion in compensation.

[​IMG]

Settlement talks initiated earlier this year reportedly saw Apple offering $16 million to settle the case, but Proview was apparently holding out for a $400 million settlement that could save the company as it seeks to reorganize under bankruptcy.

Apple argued in several court cases that it had acquired the Chinese rights to the iPad name in late 2009 as part of a deal with Proview's Taiwanese arm. That deal, brokered by Apple dummy corporation IP Application Development, reportedly saw the rights to the name transferred in a number of markets around the globe for just $55,000. Proview later claimed that the Chinese rights to the trademark were owned by its Chinese subsidiary and that the Taiwanese arm consequently could not have sold them to Apple.

Article Link: Apple Settles Chinese 'iPad' Trademark Dispute with Proview for $60 Million

2. macrumors 6502a

Now if only these Samsung lawsuits were as simple as $60 million.

I'd "settle" for $60 million, as well.

3. macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

well thats great for apple

4. macrumors regular

ArchaicRevival

Someone just got awfully rich. I wish I came up with that name lol

lol On a serious note, the last line says it all. Proview tried to find a loophole to kill a cash cow, and Apple lawyers said 'not on our watch you're not!'

5. macrumors G4

$60 million is a lot for a trademark troll. I'm guessing Apple will do its due diligence a bit better the next time it acquires a "worldwide" trademark from another company through a surrogate.

6. macrumors 68000

I still think the iPad is a stupid name for the device.

Dont tell me you didn't laugh when jobs pulled out the iPad and it looked like an oversized iPhone.

7. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

Drop dead and ROT Proview.

----------

I personally didn't, because as an adult I have a pad of paper on my desk at all times.

8. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Well, um, not really.

9. macrumors 6502a

shartypants

No wonder Proview is bankrupt, they are a bunch of idiots.

10. Guest

Apple just needs to look under its couch for $60 million change.

Then when the new iPhone comes out, it replaces this in about the first hour.

11. macrumors 6502

Macman1993

Idiots? They just got $60 Million for something they already sold, genius is more like it.

12. macrumors 601

brand

There not, they have $60,000,000.

13. macrumors regular

I'm glad I study Asia-Pacific commerce. This will make a great case example.

14. macrumors 6502a

I am glad that the case has been finally settled.

I hope that Apple will not transfer the burden of $60 millions onto its customers in China!

15. macrumors 68040

Nice troll.

16. macrumors 65816

iZac

Well at least this paves the way for the new iPad to make an official appearance in the ROC now! Hong Kong better reduce their shipments now they're not serving iPad orders for the entire of mainland China.

17. macrumors 603

Rocketman

Since the court and the country are one in the same, I wonder how much of the $60m they keep?

18. macrumors regular

Preview is in debt to its creditors by $400million. Now they're in debt $340Million.

They are in fact still broke and shouldn't have gotten anymore than 50k from apple. Oh well. At least it's settled.

19. macrumors regular

Hardly, they owe their creditors $400 million. Guess who's getting that money? :p

Proview will shortly cease to exist...... Apple just expedited their demise.

20. macrumors G5

jav6454

They still require another $340 Million to stop their bankruptcy...

In any case, Apple, has become quick to settle lawsuits (after Steve's death) and has opted for the easy, pay-my-way-out, instead of going-nuclear alternative.

I wonder if Tim is thinking much into the future by avoiding current hassles.

21. macrumors 68020

Apple paying these bozos any amount of money is an outrage, an outrage, I tell you, an outrage!

Yeah, I know that Apple can more than afford it but these clowns at Proview made a deal to give up the iPad trademark long before the iPad's release and therefore really don't have a claim to it now. The original deal should have sealed it long ago and these guys deserve nothing.

$60 million because they feel shafted after the iPad's success and for this to go away on Apple's end, pluh-ese! :rolleyes:

22. macrumors 68000

Nah, but I did laugh when the note looked like an oversized iPhone.

23. macrumors 68000

BC2009

I didn't laugh.

24. macrumors 68020

Bottom line is that Apple could have used that $60 million in other ways, like building a factory in the USA.

Apple should have gone through with burying these opportunists and left them owing that $60 million.

25. macrumors regular

Just glad it's over on a most boring subject matter. Move on everyone!