Apple settles Mac OS X release lawsuit

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Mar 23, 2005.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Reuters 3:21 pm March 23, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO, March 23 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. on Wednesday said it settled its lawsuit with one of three men it sued for distributing test copies of the next version of its Mac OS X operating system on a file-sharing Web site.

Cupertino, California-based Apple said it had settled the case it brought against Doug Steigerwald, who is a student, in late December.

As a member of the Apple Developer Connection, Steigerwald was given early, test versions of the next version of the operating system code-named Tiger. Apple has said that Tiger will be available by June of this year.

"While Apple will always protect its innovations, it is not our desire to send students to jail," said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling. "We are pleased that Mr. Steigerwald has taken responsibility for his actions and that we can put this lawsuit behind us."

Steigerwald was not immediately available to comment.

Apple has in recent months launched a series of lawsuits aimed at preventing publication of details of future products, one of which has raised first-amendment concerns in some quarters.

Apple claimed in its suit that two different versions of Mac OS X were made available on the Internet on or about October 30 and December 8 of 2004.

The men sued by Apple released the software on a Web site that uses BitTorrent file-sharing technology, which is used to rapidly distribute large files of electronic data, and is also widely used to distribute pirated copies of motion pictures.
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    "We are pleased that Mr. Steigerwald has taken responsibility for his actions and that we can put this lawsuit behind us."

What "responsibility" did he take?
  3. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    I believe he is the one in the interview were he says he is sorry and didn't know it was wrong. He took responsibility for breaking the NDA which he signed under the free ADC account. A good move by apple. I hope the rest get punished or freed by what the law rules.
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    If I remember from an earlier story, he was very cooperative with Apple with providing information before they nailed him. His lawyer probably pointed that out. He took responsibility instead of saying that he never did anything and saying stuff like what is Mac OS X?
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It also sounds as though he was smart enough to remove the Mac OS X operating system from his file-sharing Web site. I think that Apple did the wright thing in this case.
  6. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Good to see this settled. It sends a strong message to developers to not disclose Tiger secrets, although, it's rather strange since if someone wanted to "steal" trade secrets of the Tiger OS, they could have just signed up as a WWDC developer. I did.
  7. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2003
    Hmm - he isnt the guy who did the Drunkenblog interviews that Wozniak commenteed on...

guess that other guy is still being sued