Apple Settles With Creative For $100 Million

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by chibianh, Aug 23, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

chibianh

2. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

$100 million? Yikes. :eek:

3. macrumors 6502

4. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

:eek:

...Sim Wong Hoo throwing in the towel? NEVER!

EDIT: Yeah, the $100 million is kinda shocking, too... :D

5. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yup. how much does Jobs saying "Creative is very fortunate to have been granted this early patent" say to you? Pissed off is the roundabout answer!

6. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Really, though $100 million isn't all that significant to a company with reserves like Apple has, vs. having a possible patent infringement hanging over them that could, given a ruling against them, cost much more.

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe not, but why do I think Apple could have bought the entire company for that kind of dough?

8. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Creative's stock up 30% in after-hours trading. The $100 million is a drop in the bucket for Apple, but it will certainly help Creative...

9. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Ha! Probably crossed their minds.

10. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I guess so. It's good that there's been a settlement though. For both companies I think this is a positive outcome.

11. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Methinks a creative person involved in the negotiations could have made a fortune buying Creative stock at the right time.It would be illegal of course.:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 6502

I highly doubt it. Remember, when Apple gets big, they'll have the group of haters that follow Microsoft claiming monopoly.

13. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Well Apple isn't afraid of buying companies. The whole idea for the iPod came not from Apple but from a company they took over.

14. macrumors 6502

A little-known company, and that was to create it's product. If apple buys one of their largest competitors, that will raise a few eyebrows.

15. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

What I find most interesting is that fact the Creative is joining the Made for iPod program and will be producing its own iPod accessories.

16. macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Largest in a sense but Creative is hardly a competitor. The largest out of 25% is substantial in everyday terms but I think it's safe to assume the MS Zune would have destroyed their market share. And I wouldn't have cared if this lawsuit had flattened creative (as it was due to do before they won the patent filings).

Creative make feature-filled products but they lack a) finesse and b)the iTunes music store.

If Creative hadn't won the patent fight they would have already filed for bankruptcy by now.

17. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Settles With Creative For $100 Million

[​IMG]

Apple and Creative have resolved their legal disputes which started on May 15th of this year when Creative and Apple sued each other claiming patent infringement. According to a joint-press release, Apple will pay Creative $100 million USD to settle all outstanding lawsuits.

18. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It seems advantageous for both parties, Creative get the opportunity to make some money for a change too ;)

19. macrumors regular

Too bad Apple had to pay when, IMO, they didn't really infringe on a patent.

But, it's good that the lawsuits are done with.

We'll see what Creative's next moves are. More accessories and less hardware?

applerocks

20. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I still find the fact that Creative will be making products for the iPod the most interested aspect of this case - but damn, 85 cents a share is crazy high :eek: !

21. macrumors 6502

I see Apple stock going up on this news. $100 Million is getting off easy. Could have been a LOT worse.

22. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

My guess is that Apple really did infringe - Steve sounded a little pissed off in his comments, but he also sounded like he really did lose...otherwise, they wouldn't have paid Creative 100 million dollars....:rolleyes:

23. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Who's Creative? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors 6502

Either Apple believed they did and/or was afraid of further damages the court could award. If Steve thought he could invalidate the patent, he would not have settled.

25. macrumors member

You have to wonder how tenuous Apple's position was considering that they have settled so early (in huge lawsuit time). 100 million dollars is a lot of money to spend to get Creative off their back.