Apple Shareholder Meeting Notes

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Apr 24, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Rower_CPU provides this ThinkSecret link which details notes from Apple's shareholder meeting.

Among the notes are denials of OS X on Intel and a rotating iMac screen.

2. macrumors 6502

macstudent

IT is interesting the Jobs specifically said No in response to Os X on intel. Now we can rest the rumors of Os X being ported to intel.

3. macrumors 68000

mcrain

No one asked about all the stuff we've been waiting ever so patiently for??

4. macrumors 65816

course they can rotate the imac screen to portrait. my dad's lacie can, and he has a tibook

5. macrumors 6502a

Billicus

?

I'd like to know why, too.

6. macrumors 6502a

Billicus

care to elaborate?- your confusing me. Maybe it's an issue with the iMac video card.

7. macrumors member

Not everything

I'd think that the information posted wasn't a complete summary. I wasn't there (poor me, another meeting I get to miss out on because it's on the wrong coast), so I can't say with authority, but that didn't seem like a lot that was talked about.

-----
    Is Darwin an evolutionary OS?

8. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Which of the THREE DIFFERENT screens can rotate (between landscape and portrait mode)?? I KNOW the TiBook cannot, suspect that the iMac cannot, but without knowing which LaCie you are talking about, won't say. One liners like that are worse then saying nothing at all.

9. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Is your Dad's Lacie the same display that's in the iMac? Is your Dad's video card the same as what's in the iMac?

I'm guessing that "No" will be your answer, so my response to you is:

course they can't.

10. macrumors regular

iMac cannot rotate to portrait

I agree with Rower_CPU and Alphatech.

I have the iMac flat-panel and you cannot rotate the screen to portrait.

Perhaps if you attach a separate flat panel or crt that rotates, then you can rotate... get it.

It sounds like Choppaface's comment may have been taken out of context.

Clearly it needs some more detailed information.

Quark
    :p

11. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Quark, if Choppaface's comment is taken out of context, it is his own doing. We quoted his entire post. Nothing was ommitted.

Some people like walking around with a large bullseye on themselves. Go figure. :D

12. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I believe that he means with an external monitor, he can rotate the 'external' screen to portrait. The monitor may just ask for a change in resolution, like a new monitor was plugged in...

13. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I know that's what he meant.

I was simply pointing out that there are other factors to consider, other than that it's possible.

The monitor (obviously) has to support it. The video card may have to as well (I'm not sure).

So he's trying to compare kumquats and mangos (apples and oranges is played out). :D

14. macrumors 6502a

Geert

seems like indeed they did not talk about a lot.
    Noticed that Steve said to practically any question "no"?
    the no to Intel that was good though:p

If the iMacs' screen could rotate, would be nice.
    And that is not a matter of rotating the screen, but more: 'does the graphic card support such feature?'
    It should be able to project your screen view with a 90° angle, and that will cost more!!

But let's talk about the things that weren't said?!?
    The iMac no rotating screen, but nothing was said of pro-users' screens rotating.
    ... check the link and fish out things that were not said, ok, that's a lot of guessing of course, but leaves some space for other great things, no?

btw, on a shareholders meeting is nothing special debated, that would be more like after MW: " we impressed them once more, what will we think of now to impress them on the following MW?"
    I'dd like to be attending one of those meetings

15. macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

It's not worth implementing..

If the screen could be rotated on an iMac (assuming there was extra sensors for noticing and circuitry or programming for doing the rotation of the image), it would still be a mechanical nightmare and not one even Apple would want to deal with.. Think mechanics and ergonomics:

The screen is on a vertically adjustable neck. If you rotate the screen, suddenly it's higher and lower than the pivoting arm. This would mean that the arm would have to be restricted in height to only allow the pivoting at a certain height or the careful limits currently in place on the angle of lowering the screen would be invalid and the screen could therefore be lowered to block the CD drive or smash down on top of the keyboard. It looks like a mechanical mess.. And you couldnt' just limit the height to accomodate portrait mode because then the average user who would probably prefer landscape mode would be mad that the screen can't go as low as it does now (just perfectly above the CD drive tray!)... I remember a LONGgggg time ago a Radius screen (crt) which did this trick of rotating.. BUT it wasn't on top of a computer and it wasn't attached to a floating arm either...

16. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Woohoo, 256 more pixels vertically and 256 pixels less horizontally! I've got one thing to say about a rotatable iMac screen: 'Ew the fook cares.

17. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's a semi-handy feature actually.
    Landscape works better for layout and design work, while portrait is better for browsing the web or writing text documents.

But I agree that such technology has little place in the current iMac.

18. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think that Jobs has plenty of reason to say no to oS X on intel. It would cannabalize Mac hardware sales. no one would buy a Mac, except for some professionals, because they could get the hardware for less than a thousand bucks with higher clock speeds than Apple's pro models. People in general are easialy bought out by these types of things, and it would be a nightmare for Apple...

19. macrumors 68030

mischief

20. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

21. macrumors 68030

mischief

Ahhhhhh........

But the point was that you don't need a new Video Card.:D

22. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Ahhhhhh........

Granted...that's why I said I wasn't sure if it was neccessary or not...

Once the technology becomes more affordable we might see it in the iMac. If Apple starts incorporating it into their standalone displays, we may see a sort of trickle down effect. But as Xapplimatic pointed out, there are other considerations to make.

23. macrumors G3

My external sony lcd rotates.......

I have absolutely no use for this function......... as I don't really do 'print' design anymore......

And it looks quite cool in upright mode though........:cool:

24. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If I remember correctly, you need software to get the computer to know that you have changed the orientation of the display and to correct the image to correlate. I know there was an item for OS 8.x (didn't work reliably after OS 9.x) but is there any solution for OS X?

I also don't do layouts any longer, and like having the screen a little wider. Any good 17"+ monitor/display, set to 1024x768 or higher should give enough room for most people. I know that some set it higher and some need to set it lower, but MOST (not all) people would have the 17" at that resolution. 19" screens can easily go to 1280x1024 and provide a good display. Larger screens can go higher, but I have found that even a 21" looks good at 1280x1024. Not too small, not too large, just right for my use. :D

25. macrumors newbie

Old Portrait displays

Back in the good ole days of the early 90's I worked as a systems administrator at a site that had around 500 Macs. Some of the secretarial staff had what were then called "Portrait Displays" that rotated.

Of course, back then, you could only get the displays in greyscale and the cards came bundled with them. I'm pretty sure the company name was Portrait, but that could have just been the line of monitors.

They were quite useful to have around.....for about 1% of our user base. The fact is that it is a really cool feature, but it may not be cool enough to warrant spending millions emplementing it (by Apple) on current hardware. I personally would love to use it, but I do alot of web/poster/layout design that is in the standard portrait layout much of the time.

Now, if they had already been planning this from the start and just haven't told anyone, well...that's different. The planning and research would already be there and, presumably, they hardware/software combination would be ready to support it (no pun intended about the arm supporting it).

cD