Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
Originally posted by G4scott
I think that Jobs has plenty of reason to say no to oS X on intel. It would cannabalize Mac hardware sales. no one would buy a Mac, except for some professionals, because they could get the hardware for less than a thousand bucks with higher clock speeds than Apple's pro models. People in general are easialy bought out by these types of things, and it would be a nightmare for Apple...

That's partly true, but Mac people buy macs as much because Apple knows how to design hardware as well as the OS. I think the big problem with supporting OS X on an Intel platform is that people would have a very "less than Mac" experience when running Mac OS. You'd have to support technology like floppy drives, serial ports, parallel ports, and tons of non-standard junk. Plus general lack of firewire technology and all. Then when things aren't working right, they'd blame Apple for not supporting their non-standard configurations.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by CHess

That's partly true, but Mac people buy macs as much because Apple knows how to design hardware as well as the OS. I think the big problem with supporting OS X on an Intel platform is that people would have a very "less than Mac" experience when running Mac OS. You'd have to support technology like floppy drives, serial ports, parallel ports, and tons of non-standard junk. Plus general lack of firewire technology and all. Then when things aren't working right, they'd blame Apple for not supporting their non-standard configurations.

I couldn't have said it better. :)

agoldweber

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
ah, but I believe in the 'raise the bar' theory. that is, when there is something that needs to be jumped over, there will be tons of jumping.

to this point, Wintel box designers have a low bar to jump over--they're putting together boxes for a clunky, ugly system. the hardware matches the software.

if they were designing for a system that may run Mac (or another pretty OS), surely they'll up their output.

we may be Apple fans, but we'd be naïve to think that the only good industrial designers working in the PC market have landed at the Infinite Loop.

(delinquent)

funkatron

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2002
Apple can still make the machines...

Let's consider, though, the idea that Apple still manufactures the machines -- they just use x86 instead of PPC.

Right now, many would argue that Apple's commitment to the PPC architecture -- particularly Motorola's PPC -- is their Achille's heel. A switch to x86 would eliminate this weakness in Apple's current offerings .

That's obviously MUCH easier said than done from a technical standpoint, but there is something to be said for the idea, I think.

-Ed

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Re: Apple can still make the machines...

Originally posted by funkatron
Let's consider, though, the idea that Apple still manufactures the machines -- they just use x86 instead of PPC.

Right now, many would argue that Apple's commitment to the PPC architecture -- particularly Motorola's PPC -- is their Achille's heel. A switch to x86 would eliminate this weakness in Apple's current offerings .

That's obviously MUCH easier said than done from a technical standpoint, but there is something to be said for the idea, I think.
This has all been beaten to death elsewhere on the forums. Let's not go there again...

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.