Apple Shares 'Pride' Video Featuring Preparation for San Francisco Pride Parade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In late June, San Francisco held its 44th annual Pride parade, which saw several companies, including Apple, marching in support of the LGBT community.

Apple CEO Tim Cook attended the event and walked alongside Apple's Environment Director Lisa Jackson and thousands of other Apple employees. Employees wore special T-shirts for the event and handed out iTunes gift cards good for a free song download.

Apple has now posted a new video of the event on its YouTube channel, depicting the company's preparation for the parade, which included the aforementioned T-shirts, a pre-event celebration, special bicycles, and thousands of rainbow-colored flags. The song playing in the background of the video is Coldplay's "A Sky Full of Stars."

Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed a deep belief in equality in the past, supporting the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which lobbied to add lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to the U.S.'s existing nondiscrimination law. He also spoke at Auburn University in December of 2013, noting that Apple has long had protections for LGBT employees.

During the Pride event, Tim Cook tweeted a congratulations to the 5,000 Apple employees and their families that attended the parade, saying "inclusion inspires innovation," the same line later used in the video.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Pride' Video Featuring Preparation for San Francisco Pride Parade

2. macrumors 68000

Kariya

Is Pride Parade really still a thing in 2014?

3. macrumors regular

Love it!

TheRdungeon likes this.
  4. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Awesome video. Good on Apple for the inclusivity

5. macrumors 6502a

i'll take one of those shirts please

6. macrumors 6502

egeek84

as a gay fan of Apple's products, thank you Apple for doing this and standing beside us! :) #Proud

7. macrumors 68000

Yawn.

8. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would love one as well.

9. macrumors 6502a

Another reason to love Apple, thanks for supporting equality

10. macrumors 65816

ionjohn

11. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

not that there is anything wrong with it (Seinfeld reference) ... but doesn't it seem like Apple spent way too much money on this?

bicycles (with banana republic satchels), flags, shirts, iTunes gift cards, posters, food, music, etc. ... couldn't this money have been spent maybe educating people on LGBT or donated to groups effected by "bullies" instead of a 1 day parade?

12. macrumors 65816

taptic

I'm disgusted.

There. I gave my opinion and there is no need to quote me saying that I don't need to buy Apple products anymore and that I'm so stupid or simple-minded, etc.

13. macrumors 6502a

At least you're self aware enough to know all of those things.

TheRdungeon likes this.
  14. macrumors regular

Yes, and it will be until LGBT Americans have equal rights and no longer experience rampant discrimination in society, in the job market, etc.

Someday, it will no longer be necessary . . . but probably not in our lifetime.

15. macrumors 68000

Ironically, to be a devil's advocate … I wonder if Apple would take part in a parade for Jesus. And not just about making money off of the "Christmas" season.

16. macrumors 68030

Is remaining ignorant of events attracting millions of people really still a thing in 2014?

17. macrumors 65816

dec.

In countries that allow discrimination based on sexuality - i. e. Russia, Poland, USA, Uganda etc. - definitely.

----------

Haha must be fun for someone like you to live in California ..lol

18. macrumors 6502a

Jesus doesn't need Apple to advocate for him because he has enough "sheep" "parading" around drawing attention to themselves as it is.

19. macrumors 68030

Why do you think the end of discrimination would cause the end of the parade? In countries that are much further along the road in that regard than the United States the celebration just keeps getting bigger each year.

20. macrumors 65816

dec.

Religion is (kind of a) choice.

21. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

USA does not allow discrimination based on sexuality.

22. macrumors 6502

DanielSw

Good video. Impressively large representation by Apple employees and families.

As a white straight male, I've had numerous friends and acquaintances of other races and sexual orientations, and I'm happy for them that these sorts of initiatives and events are seemingly having positive effects towards reducing descrimination.

23. macrumors 6502a

Yes it does. I could get fired from my workplace at private a Christian college for being gay.

24. macrumors 65816

dec.

Actually there are a lot of companies these days supporting equality, including the public enemies #1 and #2, google and Microsoft. Nevertheless I think it's nice that Apple are very outspoken about it.

25. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I was in Santa Cruz that weekend and there was a guy selling Burger King Pride shirts from the parade, but he didn't have any Apple ones. Would have bought one in a second, they're awesome. Guess it's just as well since he said he stole them "right off the truck."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.