Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumblebritches5

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Michigang
I'm sure this will start a firestorm, but after decades of using Macs, I am very sick of the Mac Titlebar. Please update this beyond just a new font.

I wish the Title bar was more like bar in Safari, where the titles are there, but on a transparent bar, but when you hover over them the word is inside a grey "capsule" as you move left to right. When you do not need the Titlebar it just slides up & off the screen. When you need it, the mouse cursor will make it roll back down when it is at top of screen…

Needs to be extremely minimalistic & "on demand only".

Full screen does precisely that...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
[url=https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2903/14201528529_48854b28c6_h.jpg]Image[/url]https://flic.kr/p/nCWxEa https://www.flickr.com/people//
Can please have a Pause/play/skip track in the toolbar? Not sure if there's an Application in the OS X App Store but it would be great. I hate having to go command + tab then space bar to pause music.

Do you realize that you blocked out your account name, but linked the picture to your flickr account with name in the sidebar? Also, your +name is still showing in the screenshot.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Let me re-iterate on this :

You guys hate Windows 7 , but you like 10.10 ?

No, we hate Windows 8. As far as Microsoft UIs go, Windows 7 was kinda sorta not that bad. I'm not terribly keen on what I've seen of 10.10 so far (from a design perspective I can't see what the changes actually improve in an objective sense), but it's not as bad as I imagined it might be.

--Eric

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I understand the idea behind the original Safari icon, a sort of compass for the Internet. But now I find the symbol confusing. There's a compass in iOS. And a compass indicates directionality, which would be more appropriate for Maps. I'm not sure what would be a good substitute (a safari hat?), but I've seen many people new to Apple not even realize that Safari was their browser.

And I agree with others who have noticed inconsistency in Yosemite's other icons. The more realistic ones now stick out like sore thumbs. I'm assuming that all will get straightened out before the release.

They really should fix those items.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I'm sure this will start a firestorm, but after decades of using Macs, I am very sick of the Mac Titlebar. Please update this beyond just a new font.

I wish the Title bar was more like bar in Safari, where the titles are there, but on a transparent bar, but when you hover over them the word is inside a grey "capsule" as you move left to right. When you do not need the Titlebar it just slides up & off the screen. When you need it, the mouse cursor will make it roll back down when it is at top of screen…

Needs to be extremely minimalistic & "on demand only".

The menubar is on-demand for full-screen Apps. It would be a really bad idea for discoverability to make it like that for the regular desktop, too.

I think the Mail icon looks awesome and still fits the theme of the OS. Don't know what others are on about... the iOS mail icon would be extremely out of place here.

I think the Mail icon looks out of place. They don't need to use the iOS icon as-is, but something nicer wouldn't go amiss. This is the best Mail icon I've found (used it a while ago when you could still theme OS X. Can't find it now and I don't know who the original author is):

MailIcon.png

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I was one of the few that liked Vista when it came out. It was the first step MS took to get away from XP, and for that I was thankful.

Never got into using widgets on any OS. The closest was on Android and I don't even remember what I used.

----------

From what I've gathered, those Windows 8 tiles cover much of the same purpose most people would have for them.

Disclaimer: I used Windows 8 for all of about 5 minutes once at a kiosk.

That doesn't help the people still on Windows Vista and Windows 7. Though for what it is worth, Gadgets was never a main feature of either operating system. To me I just viewed them as funny blinking lights that were huge memory pigs that took more and more RAM every single time it changed at all.

I am still surprised Microsoft simply hot fixed it remove even their own Gadgets from working.

Yeah, Snow Leopard on my old 2006 Macbook Pro wakes up and goes to sleep almost instantly today, but my new mid 2012 cMBP takes a ridiculous amount of time to go to sleep. I just need to put a good samsung evo in it. But I don't understand why they would drop such an awesome optimization.

----------

iTunes just needs a complete overhaul to begin with. I still don't like iTunes 11. I had kind of forgotten about it until I sat down at my old G5 with iTunes 10 and realized how much better that interface was (in my opinion). They really really need to address how it handles tv show media and bonus (appleTV too) The media management is horrendous.

The UI can be changed for the most part by going to View --> Show Sidebar and View --> Show Status Bar. It won't make it entirely like iTunes 10 but better than the UI which took me a while to like.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2013
here
I couldn't care less about apple apps, as long as there are good third party apps that do the job better. iTunes is the only apple app that can't be substituted, and it sucks big time. it always did.

Icons apart, the UI in DP1 is crap in non retina macbooks, fonts are ****ed up. this new font works well only in retina screens. This is the first time i will not upgrade my system to the brand new osx... seems like mavericks is here to stay!!

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
Agreed, what I don't understand is why OS X icons are still great looking with depth and textures and dimension while iOS icons are just flat simple looking things. OS X 10.10 is what I more or less envisioned when it was announced that iOS was being redesigned with a flat UI.

Personally I hope iOS 9 looks more like Yosemite. I think they did a great job with the updated UI, colors and all.

Well, it's Jony's second year with Photoshop, he got better.

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Skipped Mavericks but tempted to trying out Yosemite to see if it can be as stable as my current Mountain Lion set up (or indeed my Snow Leopard set up before that). That is stable AND snappy! :D Hopefully after a few iterations... :rolleyes:

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Still amazes me that someone created the new Safari icon and thought, yeah that's a real improvement. Also, considering they apparently spent so long on the trash icon, shame they didn't try it with a light background, it's almost invisible.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Still amazes me that someone created the new Safari icon and thought, yeah that's a real improvement. Also, considering they apparently spent so long on the trash icon, shame they didn't try it with a light background, it's almost invisible.

It doesn't necessarily have to be an improvement... do you think the new Ford Mustang's design is an improvement over the 1970's? Of course not. It's just different. I for one think that the new Safari icon is nice in iOS 7 and Yosemite as well.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Touchscreen and iWatch

Seems to me most of the changes in iOS8 and Yosemite is geared towards an iWatch and Touch Screen Macs. They don't make any usability sense for current Macs. I wouldn't want this crap on my MBP.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
It doesn't necessarily have to be an improvement... do you think the new Ford Mustang's design is an improvement over the 1970's? Of course not. It's just different. I for one think that the new Safari icon is nice in iOS 7 and Yosemite as well.

Don't mind a change but it's just hideous, fortunately you can still change icons to something less disgusting. Also, regarding software and not a car, I'd count anything that isn't an improvement, or at least as good, is a change for changes sake.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
I like it. OS X looks very good with this update. It hasn't looked this good since System 7 :)

(the transparency will become tired in about ten seconds)

Windows 8 still looks and feels better and less busy UI wise.

Last edited:

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
LOL, Apple fixed the rotating gears for Settings at 0:33. That bugged me so much in the WWDC version from June 2, was very unlike Apple.

Yes, Apple. A handful of us notice the minutest details, and appreciate you for them.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.