Apple shipment tracking, am I missing something??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ascender, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ascender macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2005
    When calling Apple a couple of days ago, I was told that I couldn't add to my order as it was being sent out that day from China. Fair enough, it was only to add a different keyboard/mouse combo.

Anyway, since then, I've been checking the tracking page to give me an indication of where the box is, so I can plan whether or not to work from home or go in to the office. But so far nothing has changed. Just wondering if this is normal or not?

There's a tracking number on the first page, but when you click on it, the next page says that there's been no courier assigned yet and that its just in transit. I've tried the tracking number on the UPS website but its invalid although it does seem to be one of their numbers.

I'm not panicking, just wondering if this is the norm? I seem to remember that the last thing I ordered from Apple had really vague tracking info and it just suddenly turned up one day when I wasn't in, but that was nearly a year ago so I can't remember the specifics.

Any advice?

Apart from "try to be more patient"?!

2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
  3. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2006
    Baltimore, Maryland USA
    What is your projected arrival date? I would plan around that. I ordered my 60GB refurb Video iPod and once the tracking showed that the information had been sent to the shipper, nothing changed until the day of delivery (ok, maybe the day before). Anyway, I would just watch the calendar for your projected arrival date. It's hard to do, but worrying about it won't make it come any faster.
  4. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    apple uses a variety of couriers, my Macbook was shipped with fed ex, my case was shipped by a company called same-day right-o-way, both with default shipping.
  5. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2005
    That's happened to me before. I don't think the shipping company's website was updated in a timely fashion, so it took me a day or so before I was able to track my shipment online.
  6. easy4lif macrumors regular

Mar 31, 2005
    Southbay CA
    apple (if you bought from apple store direct )always ships stuff via fedex. the tracking numbers have to start with "1Z" for it to be UPS. Try the Tracking # with fedex
  7. ascender thread starter macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2005
    Definitely a UPS tracking number then, but no joy so I called Apple. It left their depot in Shanghai on the 10th but won't leave the country until today, so its still looking like the 25th for delivery. Oh well. At least I know now!