Apple Shipping - Blank Box?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RobTuck, Oct 17, 2006.

1. RobTuck macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2006
    Ive had 3x 24" iMac's delivered. 1x Macbook. All came in plain brown boxes. The UPS guy treated the MacBook like it was a box of air. No care at all.

All 3 iMacs have had to be returned as DOA as they have all been faulty. Luckily, the Macbook is OK so far.

I cant help but think that the iMacs may have survived, had the plain brown boxes had somekind of 'this way up', 'handle with care', 'fragile', etc, notices on them. Theres nothing at all. One of the iMacs was even upside down when it was delivered.

Why do Apple not mark these as fragile? Expensive computers should be treated with care in transit!
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    considering how they are packed, if the outside boxes are not damaged, its unlikely that the DOAs arrived that way due to bad handling from UPS. they do treat the boxes like crap, true, but from what i remember, they are packed well so i don't know if the blame can be laid soley on UPS unless there was physical damage to the machines. and while apple should mark it as fragile, that doesn't do much for UPS, trust me. and they don't want to further mark it, as to give away what it is inside, at least i wouldn't want UPS to know that it was a computer at least.
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Every Mac Ive had shipped came in a respective box. i.e. G5 was black with image of mac and a big G5 on it. My MacBook came in a similar styled box. :confused: Sometimes I do wish they were plain boxes so no jealous UPS twat does an 'Ace Ventura' on it.
  4. wchong macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    hmmm UPS? i thought they used fedex. i got mine in good condition!

but seriously, i believe that the more stickers they put on it advertising that it is an expensive machine the more likely someone might try to steal it
  5. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    just out of curiosity - is using FedEx an option (with 2 day shipping maybe?) to get a CTO from apple delivered in the USA?

i despise UPS with every ounce of my being and would gladly pay more to use FedEx.
  6. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2006
    My 24" iMac came via FedEx in a brown unmarked box. It was in perfect condition.
  7. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    They still have specific model boxes. Apple and other retailers just double box now (i.e., the macbook box inside a plain box). The UPS lady where I am just leaves every package by the door. Good thing there isn't a huge picture of a Mac Pro visible screaming "Steal me! Steal me!"
  8. joe8232 macrumors regular

Jun 21, 2005
    When I ordered my mbp it came in a regular brown box and then the mbp box was inside that. Just to give you an idea about Apple's shipping standards the box had for the address: My name, My town. That was all it had. No house number / street / postal code (UK). If I hadn't ordered an ipod as well then the delivery guy reconed I wouldn't have got the computer at all.
  9. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2006
    No offence, but you live in a really, really good area with very, very nice local delivery drivers if you think telling everyone what you've bought will make them less likely to steal/damage it.