Apple Shipping Practices & Rebates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cubixcrayfish, Jan 28, 2005.

1. cubixcrayfish macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    So I ordered a Mac Mini, Apple Protection Plan, .Mac, and got the free printer.

They shipped .mac and printer 2 days ago, got here yesterday.

APP is shipping end of January

Mini Mac is shipping first week in febuary.

All of the shipping appears to be overnight, I did not pay anymore for shipping. Isn't apple Wasting money, shipping things out seperately, I am not going to use APP or .Mac until my mac gets here. Maye this is why Mac only holds 3% of the market, I love apple products, but I wish they were marketed better, I think alot of people are attracted by the apple store, but most other stores I go into that sell apples the people there know jack Sh*t about Macs, I went into my micro-center, and they have a "Mac Center" and the guy in there knew less than me, he knew nothing bout the Mac Mini.

On a side note

I got the free printer, what qualifies as the Itemeized and Dated sales receipt, I orignally ordered in the apple store online, but then added the printer and .Mac special by phone so I don't have one.

Also I called the guy at apple and they gave me .Mac for 69.95, I have right here a rebate form for $30, it doesn';t say what price you have to pay for it, I wonder if they will give me $30 more off, or maybe 69.95 is the edu price

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Many companies will ship as the items are available. It ends up costing them to warehouse the items till everything is ready to ship. Also many companies are now shipping direct from their distributers to save on warehousing costs.

Not sure how the shipping affects the market share as you stated.

Micro Center was once a great Mac shop (bit biased since I had worked there when they first opened the Fairfax store). At the time it was a dedicated sales team that worked that area. I have heard since then that they now share staff between the PC and Mac departments.

In regards to rebates, Apple should help you out with any new receipts needed to get the rebates. You just have to make sure that you get the materials in before the mailing deadline.

With the .Mac rebate, I am not sure. No harm in sending it in. If you get the check, great - if not you got the deal that was intended.
  3. cubixcrayfish thread starter macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    I could tell the MicroCenter Mac guy was a PC guy, I wish they would hire non nerds, I went in the PC area to look at monitors, and this guy was rambling off stuff I didn't get, and I swear he had a pocket protecor
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    There are probably accounting reasons as well. No point in having debts on the books for long periods of time. Also, your argument implies they have to sit down and try to think about if the customer needs everything all at once or would want things that are available now sooner. Maybe you have another mac and want to use .mac now? Same with the printer.