Apple Shipping Times?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sakino, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Sakino macrumors member

Is it normal for new apple products to always have a 2 week - 1.5 months shipping date? Many people don't feel like waiting around to get a product when there are many others out there. I'm just wondering if this is normal for apple. I plan on getting the new 15 pb whenever they release it, but if that means I have to wait another month after it is released what is the point of buying it.

2. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The shipping dates are very typical for Apple. Usually, when they unveil a new or updated product, they have absolutely no stock of the item. Then, when they get an idea of how many orders they're going to have, they start production. If you were to order a new PowerMac today, depending on the model, you might be able to get it within 3 weeks to a month. High end machines take longer to come out than low end machines.

3. Sakino thread starter macrumors member

I find this sales tactics kind of odd. Who wants to wait around for a product when they can find another just as quick, except for die hard apple fans. I went to my school apple store and they only plan on having the low end 12" in this week, i dont know if i want to buy this at the current time because it will not suit my needs. When apple plans on releasing a product they should have them in stock and waiting for orders. If there is overstock, I am sure it will sell. If they dont make enough at least there wont be a 1 month waiting time. Why keep your customers waiting for a product?

4. DVDSP macrumors regular

It's not a sales tactic

The new PBs weren't 'released' on January 7th, they were announced. At that time everyone was told that they would not be available until next month. This is not all that uncommon of a practice.

Take the upcoming 970 from IBM. We've known about it now for a couple of months, but it will not be available until late 2003. And the computer world is not the only place this happens. Look at car manufacturers, they show us an upcoming car, let car magazines test drive them and take pictures sometimes months before you can actually buy one.

A good reason for this is to let people know what is coming. If I'm looking for a new computer and I know that next month I can get the newest, fastest, biggest, whatever I might be inclined to wait, rather than buy today and be pissed tomorrow.

Besides, you said you are interested in the 15" PB, they've been available for a couple of years now. :)

John