Apple should take advantage of angry gateway customers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G4scott, Apr 5, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got an awesome idea.

You may have read somewhere today that someone was jailed for beating the crap out of his gateway pc in front of the gateway store because it didn't work after 5 returns to the store.

You can read something about it here.

Anyways, I think that Apple should endorse this guy, and make his famous. Apple could give him (or his daughter) a free iMac, pay the court's legal fees, and make a big deal out of how Mac's are less troublesome than pee-cee's. They could explain the guy's actions as anger against shoddy construction and helpless tech support. Who knows? Apple could even open up a website called "" (Hey, it's trendy, isn't it?)

I mean, think about it, how many times does it take for Apple to get something right with your computer if something goes wrong? The answer: Once (usually), and that's if you can't fix the problem yourself, if a problem ever happens...

I see this as an opportunity for Apple to make a big deal out of how quality over quantity (and stuff like that) is better than shelling out cheap, worthless pee-cee's by the dozen.

Anyways, This is what I just thought of. If you could think of anything else to make this better for Apple, post it here!

BTW, this is my 100th post! Woo Hoo! i'm 1/5th of a way to my own custom avatar...
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    If nothing else, Apple should use it as an example of 'Don't let this happen to you!'

I really like the other link on the page about 102 ways to kill your computer.
  3. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    Yeah, that sounds funny, but do you really think Apple should align themself with this guy. What about the Apple customer whos had to return her comp six times?
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
  5. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
  6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Re: Apple should take advantage of angry gateway customers

Ah, it would be nice. For some reason tho, Apple tends to stay away from this type of thing anymore-- I personally think they should take on a more agressive marketing strategy, anyone remember "Toasted Bunny"? 'Course, that didn't highlight the features or technology, but then neither did the original Bunny commercials... just catchy...

For some reason Apple chooses to be a martyr to commercials showing actual advantages... I mean, don't get me wrong, they've got some good ads (thank god Think Different is over) that have a nice rubberneck appeal, but all the other computer companies (okay, just compaq) take Apple's best features, clone them, and advertise them as their own... how is the average consumer to know?

7. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    if Apple started to endorse or make a big deal of this guy it would start a massive war. Apple should leave the poor guy alone, but all the Apple users out there should be pointing out to PC users how difficult PC's are to live with.
  8. CHess macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Apple should leave it alone as there are plenty of Apple customers who have had to make multiple returns before getting something that worked correctly. In separate cases, my family has purchased four iMacs on separate occasions. One of those died within two years, one died within about a year, two of them died within the first two weeks. Luckily, Applecare covers it all, but I was extremely upset with Apple after the most recent incident. So, I don't think jumping on this is a good idea for Apple, but as individuals, we can certainly point this out to others who think a Gateway is such a great deal.

As for Toasted Bunny commercial. This kind of marketing is a two edged sword. I personally thought the toasted bunny and the snail bearing the pentium II were stupidest commercials Apple has ever released. Now, considering the speeds that Intel and AMD are reaching, these marketing campaigns are a complete embarrassment. In some ways, we're lucky that the Mac has such a small market share or we'd have seen countering ads rubbing the MHz differences in our faces (even though we know there's more to a computer's performance than MHz).
  9. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    A beat up PC?

This brings back a commercial I used to transfer into the only language Apple could understand:

"Now you can get a Dell DEMENTED desktop..." (didn't someone already post something like this!?) and beat the !!!! out of it as any PC user would, then spend some time behind iron gates processed by Apple! "for only $999!"

I wonder if that commercial guy actually has a real pick-up line...

In the time it takes this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.