Apple should update prices on refurb iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Zwhaler, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know this is kind of pointless, but I was looking around at Apples refurbished iPods on their websites, and they are selling a 30GB Video for $199, and a 6GB Mini for the same price. I kind of though that was funny. IMO, they need to seriously reduce the price of the Minis. I mean the screen is black and white and the Nano's are 80$ cheaper than them. I am also a little surprised at how cheap the refurb videos are, I remember not too long ago that the 4G Photo iPod was like 40$ more than the videos are now.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well you must remember the mini has more space than a nano, firewire support and is generally more liked than the nano is.

3. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, I'll give you that but I still think that it should be cheaper than the video:D

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I agree, if i had $200 i would definitely buy a video over a mini, even though the mini was the best selling ipod.

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

i would agree much more if apple holds a similar ratio after the next iPod update. there is being stubborn and then being marketing dumb.

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

It's called the Law of Supply and Demand. Limited supply but still high demand. Minis are still very much desired by lot of people who want the color anodized aluminum look and feel. They're practically collector's items now. Nanos, on the other hand, can be had anywhere. Supply galore. Hence the lower prices on the refurbs.

7. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Don't get me wrong - I love my sister's Mini (mainly because of its resistance to scratches and stronger enclosure) - but I'm not sure that it is more liked...

...my friends with the Mini (and my sister) are jealous of the Nano - not only because of Nike+, but because it's freaking small :p , has great battery life, the color screen, and the flash memory.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

perhaps you are undervaluing the idea of getting a new applecare warranty on a product that's been out of production for almost a year now?

9. Zwhaler thread starter macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm not talking about Apple Care, but the iPod itself.

10. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

A lot of this is based on MSRP, as well.

You have to remember that an iPod Mini cost X amount of dollars in 2004, and since then, newer and cheaper things have been released, but that same iPod Mini cost amount of dollars to make, so they can only mark it down a certain degree.

(That's why sometimes you see crazy stuff like the marked down previous generation Powerbook costing more than the one that had just been released, even though the new one had way better specs.)

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

What he's saying is the older, out of production item is being sold with a full year warranty (AppleCare).

I still don't get his point, though, as any of the refurb iPods have a full year of AppleCare with them, so it's no real advantage over the Nano.

12. bep207 macrumors 6502

man those minis were nice though, i wish they would make a video ipod with that hard scratch resistant shell that the minis sported