Apple should update the iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lamina, Mar 25, 2006.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Apple should update the iSight with a remote, an IR receiver built-in and bundle FrontRow and PhotoBooth.

I would buy it in a second. What do you guys/gals think?

2. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i don't think so, because pretty soon all macs are gonna have built in iSights except the display-less computers, which leads me to believe there will be ACDs offered with iSights in them.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

All Intel Macs will probably have FR. All computers other than the Mini and the Power Mac will probably have an iSight. The new monitors (when ever they come out) will probably have iSights. Assuming these guesses are correct, I believe that it would be a waste of R&D to update the iSight.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

So if you have a Mac Mini and dell display, you eventually won't be able to get/use an iSight with it...seems like they've gotta keep some sort of separate iSight.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Yes, they'll keep the one they sell now. No reason to redesign it for the small percentage of people who will have a headless mac and a non-apple monitor.

6. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Not a bad idea, it might interest me... but like others have said... it would be a very small percentage of people who would actually buy it.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Didn't Steve Jobs say that the iSight in the iMacs and MacBook Pros was higher quality than the regular iSight?
    If that is still the case, they should update the iSight to match the same quality.

Apple will not add FrontRow or Photobooth to it because it might hurt their new computer sales.

8. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea, god forbid i should be able to install front row on my 5 month old powerbook that i spent $2500 on. :rolleyes: which btw was purchased after front row on the G5 iMac was released. :cool:

sometimes i really hate apple. :cool:

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I never said it was fair (because it's not) - but that's the way businesses work. :(

10. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Yeah, it seems today businesses are all about the money and care less and less about the customer.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm still not completely sold on the "iSights built into EVERYTHING!" idea. There are many places where Macs are used that don't allow cameras. Apple would be screwing themselves out of quite a chunk of change if the put an iSight into the displays.

12. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

13. Dahl macrumors 6502a

Agree.

Also, let's not forget the benefits of having the iSight as a stand alone.
    With the current iSight you can move it around as you please.
    Try to include a family of 4 in front of a Mac display or iMac without moving the screen.
    I use the Sightflex (http://www.mac-pro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.334/it.A/id.2469/.f) and it works great.

14. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I wish Apple would release a better version of the iSight in there iMacs/MBP/ whatever comes next... is it just me or do you all think the interior iSights' resolution overall is pretty crappy compared to the exterior iSight?

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's not just you. My Intel iMac's iSight (despite Steve's claims) has terrible low-light performance compared with my external iSight. IMO, the whole built-in iSight is more of a gimmick than a feature.

16. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Well, since I just got my external isight, it would not suprise me if Apple were to release a new one :( I think the next version, if there is one, will have a USB connector.

Kimo

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As long as the iSight remains Mac only, I'm willing to bet it will use firewire.

18. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I'm not going against you, but in the new Mac's.....my iMac G5 the iSight is using the USB bus :cool:

New ACD's will have iSights ;)

19. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

I agree. Everything will have iSights in them and then for the "headless" Macs, that will sell the ACDs to people. However, to keep with the BYODKM, and the use/compatibility of third party displays with Macs, I'd love to see Photobooth bundled with the external iSight. I don't see why you would add FrontRow and a remote to it though?

20. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Now that looks cool. I'd love one of those - very clever idea. Erm... would need an iSight first. iSight's very pricey IMO, and if you have an external FW drive you need to buy a hub to use both at once, and then you need some way of attaching it to a non-Apple monitor... the price soon adds up to the ridiculous.

Exactly quite. I hope a new iSight moves away from FireWire - especially now the new Mini is boasting 4 USB ports but *still* only one FW400 port. And we know that Apple may be starting to lose faith in FW if iPods are a sign of the future.

21. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I recall hearing that the built-in iSights are fixed focus (but have a higher resolution than the external iSights, which are not fixed focus). Might this account for poorer performance in some situations?

22. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

i barely got my 12" pb but i find myself messing photobooth so much when i go to the apple store. so i'm in the market for an isight. do you think they'll redesign it anytime soon so it's at least smaller than the huge tube?

23. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

It would also effect the PowerMac owners who are using third party displays.

24. lazynslow macrumors newbie

iSight with USB

I can think of a very good reason to keep the iSight and change the connection to USB - add a video server to the Airport Express - you now have remote monitoring with amazing video for far less money than other network IP camera systems.

25. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I'm not sure about the ACD's with iSights, PC users can technically use the ACDs too, so i'm not sure how that would play out with an iSight on a PC.